• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Neighborhood Discussion

SoCal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Gvillage nightlife is shite.

That may be so but it is still quite close to the Lower East Side (where I have been told has the best nightlife) but looks like a nicer place to actually live. I would rather have a little travel time and live somewhere nice than to have no travel time and live somewhere crappy. The East Village seems somewhere in between these two options. By the way, I will be working in Midtown.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal
That may be so but it is still quite close to the Lower East Side (where I have been told has the best nightlife) but looks like a nicer place to actually live. I would rather have a little travel time and live somewhere nice than to have no travel time and live somewhere crappy. The East Village seems somewhere in between these two options. By the way, I will be working in Midtown.

East Village is pretty cheap relative to the rest of Greenwich Village and other areas. As for nightlife it really depends on what you are into and your personality and such. I personally hate the LES for nightlife. It is like times square for drunks. Crowded, rowdy, used to be hipster galore, but now it is hipsters and bros from Staten Island and Jersey because it "caught on". I would also check out Chelsea. There are some deals there, but probably a bit higher priced than the East Village. It is also convenient for getting around. Oh and I wouldn't say that the East Village is close to the Lower East Side. The only commonality is that they are both on the east side.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal

And that's why I like the UES. I can go down downtown to hang out and then make my way back to my quiet, almost suburban-like area and get a good nights sleep.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
East Village is pretty cheap relative to the rest of Greenwich Village and other areas. As for nightlife it really depends on what you are into and your personality and such. I personally hate the LES for nightlife. It is like times square for drunks. Crowded, rowdy, used to be hipster galore, but now it is hipsters and bros from Staten Island and Jersey because it "caught on".

+1

I am not a fran.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oh, I assumed he was talking about a wife or girlfriend. No, $3,000 total won't be enough for a two-bedroom.

But do think a one-bedroom, whether uptown or down, can certainly be had for $3,000/month--give or take a hundred here and there depending on how nice you want the place to be.

One-bedroom apartments can easily be had for under 2,000 in most Manhattan neighborhoods. Is it going to have a doorman? No. Elevator? No. A tanning-bed? No. [insert some other cheesy luxury building "amenity"]? No.

Unless you like throwing money away, shop around. Craigslist is a great tool if you have the time to sort through the fake or misleading listings.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing is good deals don't last long in New York, people jump at them and if you are not in the city and can't get in the place to see them quickly you miss out. Most apartments are available to rent by the 1st of the upcoming month so they have very small windows of opportunity.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The thing is good deals don't last long in New York, people jump at them and if you are not in the city and can't get in the place to see them quickly you miss out. Most apartments are available to rent by the 1st of the upcoming month so they have very small windows of opportunity.
This is very true. It is next to impossible to get a good deal without physically being in the city. There is a shortage of affordable housing in Manhattan because of the $2,000 rent regulation threshold. The only new construction these days is luxury condos. To avoid falling under rent regulation, developers build apartments accordingly. So apartments renting for less than $2,000 get swept up very quickly.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always thought I was more of the downtown type but after my trip last weekend, I think I'd rather live in UES (below 80th). Cleaner, no rats.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I always thought I was more of the downtown type but after my trip last weekend, I think I'd rather live in UES (below 80th). Cleaner, no rats.
But did you ride the 4/5/6 train during rush hour?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
One-bedroom apartments can easily be had for under 2,000 in most Manhattan neighborhoods. Is it going to have a doorman? No. Elevator? No. A tanning-bed? No. [insert some other cheesy luxury building "amenity"]? No.

This.

$1200 for a studio with an elevator, brand new laundry machines, super quiet neighborhood and a block away from a nice-sized park and the east river. And even then I didn't negotiate price since I was running out of time to move, probably could be paying less. Some of the posts in this thread make me
eh.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This.

$1200 for a studio with an elevator, brand new laundry machines, super quiet neighborhood and a block away from a nice-sized park and the east river. And even then I didn't negotiate price since I was running out of time to move, probably could be paying less. Some of the posts in this thread make me
eh.gif

Wow, really? Is this studio 200 sq. ft. or something?

I know people who live in studios, and they pay close to, or over, $3K (albeit in nice "luxury" buildings).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads