• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
They are all very soft, they cling to the neck and shoulders well, I can move freely, and they are sufficiently draped so that I never feel bound and I can place a reasonable number of things in my pockets without feeling them or showing any bulges (no Weiner).

Thanks. There are some jackets that feel like they want to fall off my back, and the A&S ex-pat ones feel the opposite.

--Andre

kcc

Reaction score
Manton,

For business garments, would you have the sleeve heads smoothened or opt for the puckering? Personally, I don't mind the puckering on summer or business suits, but for more formal stuff like dinner coats I'd rather not have it.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm wearing unlined sleeves in this WAYWRN post from yesterday. The jacket is in Minnis 7/8 Fresco, so it's about as "grabby" a fabric as might be for something without a lining.

I seem to recall someone here having some issues with a light coloured sleeve lining showing through the weave of their fresco coat. Do you find that your lighter shirts are showing through your unlined fresco? And if so, do you mind?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
Do unlined sleeves work well?

In other words, aside from providing an ease of slipping in and out of the coat, are sleeve linings necessary to give the sleeve some shape?

Beyond slipping it on and off I haven't worn it yet but I plan to tomorrow.

Originally Posted by srivats
Are your Amrbrosi trousers pleated and high waisted?
They are higher than he would normally make but not SR high. Yes, pleated.

Originally Posted by kcc
Manton,

For business garments, would you have the sleeve heads smoothened or opt for the puckering? Personally, I don't mind the puckering on summer or business suits, but for more formal stuff like dinner coats I'd rather not have it.

I don't mind the pleating for anything.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
I seem to recall someone here having some issues with a light coloured sleeve lining showing through the weave of their fresco coat. Do you find that your lighter shirts are showing through your unlined fresco? And if so, do you mind?

This can be a problem and yes it's sort of annoying. Worse than sleeve lining, IMO, is canvas. Dark grays and blues should have a black canvas. White canvas shows through and makes the coats look shimmery.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can be a problem and yes it's sort of annoying. Worse than sleeve lining, IMO, is canvas. Dark grays and blues should have a black canvas. White canvas shows through and makes the coats look shimmery.

I noticed this on a SB suit of mine, but not on a DB suit of the same material. Is there extra fabric in the DB between the canvas to make the sheer quality less apparent? For all I know he could have used a black canvas as I had the DB jacket made later.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind the pleating for anything.

Do you get a lapped shoulder seam along with your spalla shoulders? I am thinking of doing spalla on my next suit, but I am thinking that the lapped shoulder seam would take the formality of a suit down a bit and make it more "sporty".

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Do you get a lapped shoulder seam along with your spalla shoulders? I am thinking of doing spalla on my next suit, but I am thinking that the lapped shoulder seam would take the formality of a suit down a bit and make it more "sporty".

The lapped shoulder seam is much less noticeable than the shirt-set sleevehead. Of course, I'm assuming you mean the true shoulder seam, running between the collar and the shoulder point, and not the armscye.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yes, your assumption is correct, the true shoulder seam.

I'd be uttery shocked if more than one out of a hundred people at your office could notice and identify that your shoulder seam is lapped and not open.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Solito laps all the seams on the coat. All the Neapolitan coats that I have examined were made the same way. Ambrosi laps the trouser outseams but not the inseams. Lapped seams appear to be part of the culture there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My fresco summer suits are quarter lined, with unlined sleeves--could not possibly care less if sometimes under some lighting some of my shirt pattern might show through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads