• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is unusual. There is the little touch of lining at the shoulder but none in the sleeves:

ZpvYj.jpg

Great. Never seen this before. Is it enough for "slip-on convenience"?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Manton's Solito stuff is some of my favorite bespoke on styleforum, but I agree in general that I would prefer that the fashion revert to a lower gorge.
I like this gorge. I think when worn it does not look quite as high as in the pic. It's lower than my A&S actually, though not lower than my A&S alum guy.

Originally Posted by quar
Manton, I notice that you buy a lot of your own fabrics and do CMT. Is that because the selection from Solito is inferior / smaller, or is it to take advantage of the savings?
Most of my fabric was bought years ago and has been sat on for years. I went on a binge for a while and accumulated such a "cellar" that I realized I had to stop. I am glad I have it because it is good stuff and, yes, the Solito selection is not the widest. I have used his cloth only once but will again someday, esp. for linen because he has access to great linen. But for Lesser, Minnis and most of the British classics, you have to source your own.

Originally Posted by A Y
Manton, can you say a few words about the feel of the Solito garments vs. A&S and maybe Raphael, in terms of what it's like to wear them? The A&S garments seem to have their own unique feel.

--Andre

Well, I am not sure I can shed much light. They are all very soft, they cling to the neck and shoulders well, I can move freely, and they are sufficiently draped so that I never feel bound and I can place a reasonable number of things in my pockets without feeling them or showing any bulges (no Weiner). The Solitos feel a little closer to the body and a little lighter. The A&S offshoots are the loosest. Raph is in the middle.
Originally Posted by apropos
Manton, do the Solito(e)s speak English? What is the turnaround for a suit with 2 fittings like?

PS: nice crocs.
lol8[1].gif

The crocs belong to another member of the household.
plain.gif

Luigi speaks passable English. Gennaro, the father, does not. I have never had two fittings though if you do the entire process in Naples you can probably get more than one. Turnaround time is, to say the least, lengthy and erratic. I admit to being exasperated more than once. But I love the product so I try to cope.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Manton, could you talk about the different tailor's approach to drape that you have used? Does it feel or look any different between all of the tailors or are the results pretty much the same to you?
The most obvious difference is between Solito and MA&SEBTâ„¢. The latter cuts a silhouette that is quite "rounded" in appearance. I don't know how to describe this but think of like how they teach people to draw. Instead of starting with a fully formed human figure they encourage you to use ovals to represent the major areas of the body to get the proportions right. The A&S coats are kind of like two of those ovals, a big one for the chest and shoulders, a narrower one for the hips, with a fairly hourglassy indentation separating them.

The Solito jacket looks more columnar, the shoulders are less rounded on the top, the waist is "longer" and less pronounced, and the hip is trimmer.

They have a different approach to drape, too, which I am finding very hard to put into words. The basic elements are there; you can grab a handfull of excess cloth on either side of the chest near the skye, but there is a more obvious break or fold on the A&S stuff. Solito manages to puff the chest out a bit so that the excess doesn't break but makes a convex curve.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Great. Never seen this before. Is it enough for "slip-on convenience"?

I haven't worn it yet but trying it on, it slipped on and off just fine.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn it yet but trying it on, it slipped on and off just fine.

Sounds like it works then.
smile.gif
Your idea or your tailor's?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Sounds like it works then.
smile.gif
Your idea or your tailor's?

His. I didn't even notice it when I first tried it on. I only noticed it when I put it on over a short sleeve shirt to take that pic. My arms felt the linen and I thought "hey, that's strange."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Manton, who is making the pants for the suits, someone in Solito's shop or someone else?

- B

Salvatore made them all, and he already delivered.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The most obvious difference is between Solito and MA&SEBTâ„¢. The latter cuts a silhouette that is quite "rounded" in appearance. I don't know how to describe this but think of like how they teach people to draw. Instead of starting with a fully formed human figure they encourage you to use ovals to represent the major areas of the body to get the proportions right. The A&S coats are kind of like two of those ovals, a big one for the chest and shoulders, a narrower one for the hips, with a fairly hourglassy indentation separating them.

The Solito jacket looks more columnar, the shoulders are less rounded on the top, the waist is "longer" and less pronounced, and the hip is trimmer.

They have a different approach to drape, too, which I am finding very hard to put into words. The basic elements are there; you can grab a handfull of excess cloth on either side of the chest near the skye, but there is a more obvious break or fold on the A&S stuff. Solito manages to puff the chest out a bit so that the excess doesn't break but makes a convex curve.

This makes perfect sense. It can be seen in pictures pretty well between your Solito and A&S SC, also Vox's Steed silhouettes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There's a new Aesop in there somewhere, with new characters for the tortoise and the hare.

But I could be wrong.

- B

It was a long process, but with a happy ending (again, no Weiner).

banis

Reaction score
His. I didn't even notice it when I first tried it on. I only noticed it when I put it on over a short sleeve shirt to take that pic. My arms felt the linen and I thought "hey, that's strange."

It is quite popular to make linen coats almost fully unlined (except for the shoulders). I've seen it on many jackets at three tailors in Naples. IIRC, maomao posted last year a linen jacket from Panico that was also fully unlined.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
still waiting for my jacket undergoing and adjustment to be returned
plain.gif

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Question:

Do unlined sleeves work well?

In other words, aside from providing an ease of slipping in and out of the coat, are sleeve linings necessary to give the sleeve some shape?

Have any of you had unlined sleeves?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads