• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first blazer

liquidskin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

You guys helped me last year for my summer work party. I ended up wearing my navy suit jacket as a 'blazer', and I got a few compliments on it, but I was wishing I had a real blazer/sports jacket to wear.

So the party is late next week and I'm shopping around for a navy blazer. The gold button look, though classy, isnt for me. I'm leaning towards silver, but would also be open to other buttons.

I'm trying to get a really good bang for my buck... I've read some people on here reccomend Anderson Little, which would be reasonable for my price range. I know I can do even better on eBay, this Michael Kors caught my eye: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-MICHAEL-KORS...item3f0ab72cdc. I'm also thinking of heading over to Zara and trying on there.

Of these approaches, what sounds like the best route? I don't have a lot of time, so want to act pretty quick. I also need to factor in the time it takes for tailoring, as I'm going to want a really good fit. Speaking of fit, my suit jacket is a 39L - is shopping for a 40L advisable? Common sense says get it a little larger and have it tailored. I'm 6'1", and about 180lbs. I measured my chest at 39" last night.

Thanks for any help in leading me in the right direction!

xabi.gordon

Reaction score
That blazer is looking great I think it will be a good option , after buying it get altered it according to you figure to get it slim fit , then it will look so great on you.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Since time is tight and fit is a priority, eBay is the last place you should be looking. Even if the seller ships it today- it might not arrive in time for you to have it properly tailored. That assumes that the fit works on something you aren't able to try on before purchasing.

The Lands End stuff is priced similarly to the Anderson Little and you should be able to find one at any Sears.

It's not Oxxford, but given your budget should suit you just fine.

liquidskin

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

May sound close-minded of me, but I'm a little iffy about Sears and will probably steer clear of there...

Tried on a blazer at Zara.. 40 was too tight in the shoulders, 42 was better. At $159, I'm liking the MK on eBay for half that. Decisions, decisions...

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I wouldn't F around buying anything on-line, esp. if you're on a tight schedule. Go to a decent men's store. I've always found blazers cut a pinch larger than suits, but try on and find one that is right in shoulders, and take to your tailor, to tune it up. As far as button color goes, you or tailor can always get other buttons, changing them is pretty common. A good mens store will probably have others in stock.

Nelton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by liquidskin
Thanks guys.

May sound close-minded of me, but I'm a little iffy about Sears and will probably steer clear of there...

Tried on a blazer at Zara.. 40 was too tight in the shoulders, 42 was better. At $159, I'm liking the MK on eBay for half that. Decisions, decisions...

Zara blazers come up really tight, I wouldn't trust them for fit it's best to try on the brand you're interested in buying as I've found no brand is the same with fit, some 38s fit me perfect, others are too big or small.

Cheers Nick

lenahan

Reaction score
I have owned 3 of those blazers. I loved then--wore them to death, and I kept the buttons for use on other blazers (So I can have a Gold buttoned Ralph Lauren and a more silver or grey color buttons on another for the purposes of jewelry matching.) I am a larger person, and it fits me well. It is available at most Macy's. Hope this helps.

liquidskin

Reaction score
Thanks gents.

I think I'll head to Macy's and try the Michael Kors on. Would love to buy online, but not ideal for my timeframe...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are late and you want it cheap - and only come here for help, not to contribute otherwise. It would help if you were to think ahead so that you can have more choice and also watch these threads to see what others are doing.

liquidskin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
You are late and you want it cheap - and only come here for help, not to contribute otherwise. It would help if you were to think ahead so that you can have more choice and also watch these threads to see what others are doing.

I'm by no means a fashion expert (which is why I'm asking questions), but I hope my 'contribution' could be considered as photos/information of whatever blazer I end up getting. That could be of value to someone in my shoes...

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
I wouldn't F around buying anything on-line, esp. if you're on a tight schedule. Go to a decent men's store. I've always found blazers cut a pinch larger than suits, but try on and find one that is right in shoulders, and take to your tailor, to tune it up. As far as button color goes, you or tailor can always get other buttons, changing them is pretty common. A good mens store will probably have others in stock.

In the interest of not creating another thread: I have a Navy blazer w/ brass buttons from my pre-SF days. It's J Press, so it's a big cut. And I'm very thin, but it otherwise fits quite well. Would a tailor be able to slim it down enough that it will fit well? Unfortunately, I trust SF more than my local tailor. (If I do get it slimmed down, I'd take it to a tailor next time I'm in The City.)

Sentinel

Reaction score
You can try pinning it up with the help of a friend and seeing how it looks. If you take those heavy paperclips and have your friend take in some material in the back with them, you can get a decent idea of what it will look like when tailored.

liquidskin

Reaction score
I bought the Michael Kors blazer today at Macys. Seen here: http://tinyurl.com/3ojcyr8

Went with the 40L. I want to get it tailored to give it a more slim fit. Took a couple pics to get some thoughts from you guys on what would need to be done. At the same time, I'm trying to think of what I'm going to wear it with. The jacket's debut will be a work summer party next week - it's a finance company, for whatever that's worth. I'm going to skip the tie/pocket square this time.

Any interesting suggestions for other shirt/pants colors would be much appreciated. What you see in the pic is my initial thought, but it seems a little boring. Please mind the absence of a belt and the wrinkles - obviously will be fixed! The last pic is a side-by-side of the pants I'm considering. The pair on the right is what's worn in the other shots. Again, I'm willing to buy another pair of pants for a great look.

Thanks for any feedback!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads