Looking to buy first blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by liquidskin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Freakazoid!

Freakazoid! Member

Don't skip a pocket square.

2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

3. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

4. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Thanks for the thoughts, gents.

Point taken on the fit, I'm going to take it to a tailor tonight and see what he can do. Hows the length? Sleeves ok?

I think it would look good with a pocket square or tie, but I dont want to be the only guy wearing those. Last year most people just showed up in button down shirts. Do I have any other options if I skip the tie/pocket square?

5. JTA

JTA Senior member

In the interest of not creating another thread: I have a Navy blazer w/ brass buttons from my pre-SF days. It's J Press, so it's a big cut. And I'm very thin, but it otherwise fits quite well. Would a tailor be able to slim it down enough that it will fit well? Unfortunately, I trust SF more than my local tailor. (If I do get it slimmed down, I'd take it to a tailor next time I'm in The City.)

If the shoulders and chest fit you well, then you can take in the waist for more suppression. Altering chest and shoulders are pricey and most of the time don't worth the money.

Shortening jacket more than 0.75" will potentially change the balance too, especially with the patch pockets.

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

7. SNLMODLER

SNLMODLER Well-Known Member

What about a first blazer with gold buttons? Who should I look at? Looking to spend 250 or so.

8. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

I didn't realize no one else would be wearing a tie. You're right: skip it, then. With no tie or square to add some color and pattern to your outfit, maybe go with a tattersall or candy stripe shirt.

any particular colors you'd reccomend?

9. bwp

bwp Senior member

If you are looking for a slim fit and your chest is 39 then size down to a 38, the shoulders will fit better if you size down as well. Also, do not worry about the buttons, if you find a blazer that fits well with gold buttons you can have them swapped out by any tailor for very little money.

10. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

If you are looking for a slim fit and your chest is 39 then size down to a 38, the shoulders will fit better if you size down as well. Also, do not worry about the buttons, if you find a blazer that fits well with gold buttons you can have them swapped out by any tailor for very little money.

i have pretty broad shoulders, so I dont know how well I'd do in a 38. due to the time constraint, I'm going to keep this one and see what a tailor can do...

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image two shows FAR too much bowing in the chest. you should be able to slip your index and ring finger between your blazer and your shirt and feel both the shirt and the lining of your jacket equally tight. This looks like you can reach into your pocket and never feel the lining of the blazer.

I can't really tell but I fear I can see where your shoulders end and where the jacket's shoulders begin and there is about an inch or so of fabric between the two points. Worse things have happened but I prefer my shoulders a bit more snug/in line with my natural shoulder.

Overall IMHO it looks a bit too boxy with some extra padding in the shoulders. At the same time, oddly enough, there seems to be some awkward pulling through the waist and chest. My advice would be to not skimp on a tailor and get the jacket fitted properly. You clearly "saved money" on the jacket. Don't make the same mistake in the tailoring.

12. NittanyLion25

NittanyLion25 Member

You can probably get away with it as is if you don't button it at this party or event, but in the long term I'd have it tailored slightly to be a little less boxy. But in all honesty, I don't think you anything that people are going to be talking about as "ill fitting"

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Sleeves look too long, particularly if you want to show some cuff, which you should.

14. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Some of the comments are making me think it has to be returned... is that the advisable course of action? I dont have a relationship with a tailor and am rolling the dice on one I found with late hours for tonight...

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'm with you on the silver buttons, i'm never quite sure about the gold button look. I am also under the impression that a blazer carries a nautical / naval undertone. Personally i would hate to give people the wrong idea, especially an older navy veteran. For a summer office party, had you considered other options?