1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy first blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by liquidskin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. SNLMODLER

SNLMODLER Well-Known Member

What about a first blazer with gold buttons? Who should I look at? Looking to spend 250 or so.

3. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

I didn't realize no one else would be wearing a tie. You're right: skip it, then. With no tie or square to add some color and pattern to your outfit, maybe go with a tattersall or candy stripe shirt.

any particular colors you'd reccomend?

4. bwp

bwp Senior member

If you are looking for a slim fit and your chest is 39 then size down to a 38, the shoulders will fit better if you size down as well. Also, do not worry about the buttons, if you find a blazer that fits well with gold buttons you can have them swapped out by any tailor for very little money.

5. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

If you are looking for a slim fit and your chest is 39 then size down to a 38, the shoulders will fit better if you size down as well. Also, do not worry about the buttons, if you find a blazer that fits well with gold buttons you can have them swapped out by any tailor for very little money.

i have pretty broad shoulders, so I dont know how well I'd do in a 38. due to the time constraint, I'm going to keep this one and see what a tailor can do...

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image two shows FAR too much bowing in the chest. you should be able to slip your index and ring finger between your blazer and your shirt and feel both the shirt and the lining of your jacket equally tight. This looks like you can reach into your pocket and never feel the lining of the blazer.

I can't really tell but I fear I can see where your shoulders end and where the jacket's shoulders begin and there is about an inch or so of fabric between the two points. Worse things have happened but I prefer my shoulders a bit more snug/in line with my natural shoulder.

Overall IMHO it looks a bit too boxy with some extra padding in the shoulders. At the same time, oddly enough, there seems to be some awkward pulling through the waist and chest. My advice would be to not skimp on a tailor and get the jacket fitted properly. You clearly "saved money" on the jacket. Don't make the same mistake in the tailoring.

7. NittanyLion25

NittanyLion25 Member

You can probably get away with it as is if you don't button it at this party or event, but in the long term I'd have it tailored slightly to be a little less boxy. But in all honesty, I don't think you anything that people are going to be talking about as "ill fitting"

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Sleeves look too long, particularly if you want to show some cuff, which you should.

9. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Some of the comments are making me think it has to be returned... is that the advisable course of action? I dont have a relationship with a tailor and am rolling the dice on one I found with late hours for tonight...

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'm with you on the silver buttons, i'm never quite sure about the gold button look. I am also under the impression that a blazer carries a nautical / naval undertone. Personally i would hate to give people the wrong idea, especially an older navy veteran. For a summer office party, had you considered other options?

11. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

^ Wearing a navy blazer with metal buttons in no way signifies you are in the navy. Fear not the older navy veterans. [​IMG]

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^ Wearing a navy blazer with metal buttons in no way signifies you are in the navy. Fear not the older navy veterans. [​IMG]

It only took me 4 posts to get the [​IMG] reply, haha, I'll try better next time. For the record it was a general statement, regardless of button choice. My dad was a Navy man, so I try to do well by such things [​IMG]

13. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

I've decided that this blazer is probably too big on me and I'm going to return. Would like to try a 38L in the same design, but none of the Macy's have it in stock. Can anyone reccomend another blazer which Macy's would carry that would have that slimmer, not-boxy fitthat I'm hoping to achieve?

14. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

As others mentioned and you've agreed, the blazer you purchased isn't a good fit.

As short on time as you are, I think anything you buy will likely be a compromise on either fit or quality or both.

If the navy suit jacket you have fits well, I would consider taking it to your tailor and changing out the buttons to whatever you prefer. You might even have him tweak the fit a bit while he's at it. When you need it to be suit coat again, just have him switch out the buttons then.

Then, you'll have time to find a good price on a good quality navy blazer that fits well for your next event.

15. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

As others mentioned and you've agreed, the blazer you purchased isn't a good fit.

As short on time as you are, I think anything you buy will likely be a compromise on either fit or quality or both.

If the navy suit jacket you have fits well, I would consider taking it to your tailor and changing out the buttons to whatever you prefer. You might even have him tweak the fit a bit while he's at it. When you need it to be suit coat again, just have him switch out the buttons then.

Then, you'll have time to find a good price on a good quality navy blazer that fits well for your next event.

Thanks, great advice! The blazer has been returned, I shopped the Mall but couldn't find anything. Can't believe its this hard to find something I thought was so common. Macys/Nordstrom's selection was very poor. One at Zara was great, but too short.... I think I'm going to try Syms and then give up for a bit and face the facts that I won't be able to have something ready to wear for Thursday night.

16. liquidskin

liquidskin Member

Ok gents... I think my search went better today.

Found a Ralph Lauren at Syms today in 38L and thought it was a major improvement. Definitely feels like a better fit than the Michael Kors. Gold buttons werent my first choice, but my girlfriend likes them. Hopefully its not too much of a mature look for me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shirt sleeves are too short, I'm thinking of getting a similar shirt that actually fits for use in this outfit. Ignore the tags... I wanted to get approval from you guys before ripping them off!