• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first blazer

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Wearing a navy blazer with metal buttons in no way signifies you are in the navy. Fear not the older navy veterans.
facepalm.gif

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
^ Wearing a navy blazer with metal buttons in no way signifies you are in the navy. Fear not the older navy veterans.
facepalm.gif

It only took me 4 posts to get the
facepalm.gif
reply, haha, I'll try better next time. For the record it was a general statement, regardless of button choice. My dad was a Navy man, so I try to do well by such things
smile.gif

liquidskin

Reaction score
I've decided that this blazer is probably too big on me and I'm going to return. Would like to try a 38L in the same design, but none of the Macy's have it in stock. Can anyone reccomend another blazer which Macy's would carry that would have that slimmer, not-boxy fitthat I'm hoping to achieve?

southbound35

Reaction score
As others mentioned and you've agreed, the blazer you purchased isn't a good fit.

As short on time as you are, I think anything you buy will likely be a compromise on either fit or quality or both.

If the navy suit jacket you have fits well, I would consider taking it to your tailor and changing out the buttons to whatever you prefer. You might even have him tweak the fit a bit while he's at it. When you need it to be suit coat again, just have him switch out the buttons then.

Then, you'll have time to find a good price on a good quality navy blazer that fits well for your next event.

liquidskin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
As others mentioned and you've agreed, the blazer you purchased isn't a good fit.

As short on time as you are, I think anything you buy will likely be a compromise on either fit or quality or both.

If the navy suit jacket you have fits well, I would consider taking it to your tailor and changing out the buttons to whatever you prefer. You might even have him tweak the fit a bit while he's at it. When you need it to be suit coat again, just have him switch out the buttons then.

Then, you'll have time to find a good price on a good quality navy blazer that fits well for your next event.

Thanks, great advice! The blazer has been returned, I shopped the Mall but couldn't find anything. Can't believe its this hard to find something I thought was so common. Macys/Nordstrom's selection was very poor. One at Zara was great, but too short.... I think I'm going to try Syms and then give up for a bit and face the facts that I won't be able to have something ready to wear for Thursday night.

liquidskin

Reaction score
Ok gents... I think my search went better today.

Found a Ralph Lauren at Syms today in 38L and thought it was a major improvement. Definitely feels like a better fit than the Michael Kors. Gold buttons werent my first choice, but my girlfriend likes them. Hopefully its not too much of a mature look for me...

The shirt sleeves are too short, I'm thinking of getting a similar shirt that actually fits for use in this outfit. Ignore the tags... I wanted to get approval from you guys before ripping them off!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads