• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tempura Sushi

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
And art, and architecture to some extent, probably weapons as well (pre and post isolationist).

Where did they borrow their sword-making techniques from?

I understand that Spain was well-known for making swords at one time.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Where did they borrow their sword-making techniques from?

I understand that Spain was well-known for making swords at one time.

Most likely China. I know that there are strictly Japanese designs, but their blacksmithing knowledge probably came from China.

Sometime in the 17th century, they got a hold of a couple of muskets (I think it was just two muskets that were bought), de-constructed them and started using guns, and then subsequently building castles.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most likely China. I know that there are strictly Japanese designs, but their blacksmithing knowledge probably came from China. Sometime in the 17th century, they got a hold of a couple of muskets (I think it was just two muskets that were bought), de-constructed them and started using guns, and then subsequently building castles.
Actually, from what I understand, the Japanese swordsmiths were about the last original thinkers in Japan. They were making world beating superior cutting blades as far back as the 13th century, blades that were basically unsurpassed in utility, durability, and design outside of Japan until the 19th century.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Saba shioyaki =
drool.gif
Seriously one of the best things ever.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Actually, from what I understand, the Japanese swordsmiths were about the last original thinkers in Japan. They were making world beating superior cutting blades as far back as the 13th century, blades that were basically unsurpassed in utility, durability, and design outside of Japan until the 19th century.

Are you sure this isn't one of the cases where they got the idea from China, then made it a whole lot better?

From what I've heard (and I definitely don't read up on this) the Japanese were far ahead of their time in terms of weapon design, so I have no doubts that their **** was the dankest. But just wondering who the OG nihonjin was who had a sword, and where he got it from.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well what have you eaten exactly? Almost none of what I mentioned is "sweet". In fact, most Japanese food isn't sweet. Quite a few condiments are sweet, but only because most Japanese food is salty, citrusy, or bitter. It goes well with it. The only things I can think of right off the top of my head as "sweet" are unagi no kabayaki, yakitori, and other sauced and then grilled items. And then it's only because of the sauce (similar in some ways to barbeque or teriyaki sauce here in the states).
I find bonito stock to have a slightly sweet smoky taste and that is what doesn't agree with my palate. I am not talking about teriyaki or whatever.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this isn't one of the cases where they got the idea from China, then made it a whole lot better?

From what I've heard (and I definitely don't read up on this) the Japanese were far ahead of their time in terms of weapon design, so I have no doubts that their **** was the dankest. But just wondering who the OG nihonjin was who had a sword, and where he got it from.

Japanese swordmaking was driven by the fact that there is very little decent iron ore indigenous to Japan, so the only way to make steel was by heating the crappy iron, hitting it with flux, then folding it and hammering it down. This allowed carbon to infuse the iron (creating steel) and created the beautiful layered look for which the katana is famous. The characteristic difference in coloration between the edge and spine of the katana is caused by the differential hardening of the blade, which is hard at the edge and soft at the spine.

As the story goes, the design of the katana was driven by necessity because the older chokuto straight blades were unable to defeat the superior armor of the Mongols. In order to make a blade that was strong enough to maintain an edge, but flexible enough not to shatter on impact, the technique of differential hardening was developed. Before the final heat treat, a blade is coated in a clay mixture, then the clay on the edge is scraped off to leave the steel bare. This allows the edge and spine to cool at different rates when quenched.

Chinese blades are not (at least not widely) made with the foregoing techniques because the Chinese had access to better iron ore. Japanese smithing techniques came about in order to turn crap into a decent blade, and the aesthetically pleasing aspects of the katana are just side effects of those smithing techniques.

Lysol

Reaction score
lol... I love this thread. All I have to say is that the Burger King Croissanwich is totally the most delicious French food I've ever eaten! Who else loves French food?

Oh, and Italian food! MMM MMM.

didn't you try to call me out on pizza-snobbery just a few days ago?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Saba shioyaki =
drool.gif
Seriously one of the best things ever.

God damn... Yumi's mom made that for me several times. I can wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I was at the store the other day and saw some Saba in the case and was like "damn, that sounds really good right now" but no one at my house eats fish, but me. Curry rice is a personal favorite, I like it with a thick spicy sauce, a boiled egg, and a little cheese on top. I remember seeing Salarymen restaurants selling huge plates of Curry rice for like 400JPY. It sure hit the spot. And Brian, you are a wiener. Nattou is good for you, it doesnt taste nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Who likes An (An Pan, or other red bean treats)? Karaage (I make this all the time), Yakisoba, Udon (curry udon, really good to make with leftover curry), Tarako/Mentaiko is also good. Has anyone else had "chizu mochi," I had some in Kobe at a matsuri and it was very very good. It was a 8" round 1" thick disk of mochi that was grilled brushed with shoyu, covered with veggies then they melted cheddar over the top of it. It was a little chewy but the mochi really took in the flavors. But still nothin beats a big bottle of Asahi and some takoyaki on a hot summer night, the sky ablaze with hanabi and a cute yukata clad girl at your side.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Shabu Shabu was becoming the new "sushi" the last time I was in LA. Pretty trendy.

So fun and tasty, but it's anything but filling.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
didn't you try to call me out on pizza-snobbery just a few days ago?

You only have 161 posts under your belt, perhaps you haven't been around long enough to notice that I don't follow any rules... not even my own.

That being said, I don't think I called you out on pizza snobbery, I think I called you out because you said something dumb, like "I'm not going to read the 9 previous pages of this thread , but here's my opinion, and if it wasn't already mentioned, you guys are all idiots" or something along those lines.

smile.gif

And then you tried to defend your dumb post by saying that there were two (gasp!) mentions of Dominos pizza which would then somehow make all the other useful information in the thread which you are too lazy to read, irrelevant.

I then had to correct you on the Dominos pizza thing, seeing as there was only one mention of it up until that point, which you would have known, had you read the thread.

Starting to ring a bell?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah - mochi wrapped in nori, baked a couple minutes in the toaster oven, then dipped in soy sauce or maybe ponzu/soy (haven't tried that...) is also a great snack. I think I'm going to go make some.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mochi is also really good warmed up, cut open and a slice of cheese inside, then wraped in nori.

I made a bunch of Smoked Salmon Onigiri a couple weeks ago and brought it to a school function, I was about raped when the Japanese kids found out. I am just glad I ate my share before I got there otherwise I would have been SOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads