1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tempura Sushi

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Yes, but when you say "cheeseburger", people don't say, "Oh! l love all German food! I like Spaetzle, Knoedel, and Schwenker... so good!

When you say, tempura sushi, and half a dozen people say "Oooh I love Japanese food!" It irritates me, because in no way, is tempura sushi Japanese.

Please note, that I did not say it was Japanese.

I have respect for real Japanese sushi, and things like Toro, Unagi, Sake and Maguro nigiri are all great.

2. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

Yes, but when you say "cheeseburger", people don't say, "Oh! l love all German food! I like Spaetzle, Knoedel, and Schwenker... so good!

When you say, tempura sushi, and half a dozen people say "Oooh I love Japanese food!" It irritates me, because in no way, is tempura sushi Japanese.

Perhaps we have the same viewpoint. I truley like ALL types of food, and I hate when people eat Cali rolls and think they like all Japanese food.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

not doing much better. [​IMG] Not all Japanese food is sushi. Japanese cuisine is fantastic, I agree with this statement. But there is a lot more to it than just raw fish. I personally love: donburi - various items on top of a bowl of rice, can include raw fish (called chirashi), also oyako-don which is a flavorful egg scramble with onions and chicken nabe - a pot of broth with vegetables and meat boiling in it, yosenabe is a seafood pot, sukiyaki is beef and veggies in a soy-based broth, shabu shabu is a seaweed-based broth (i believe, anyway) and involves thinly sliced beef, tofu and vegetables and several dipping sauces ramen - chashuu ramen is my favorite... tororo ramen (sweet potato) is good in small doses but the sliminess is gross sometimes. hamberg steak - japanese flavor meatloaf... mmmmm.... then of course there's okonomiyaki and a million other things.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps we have the same viewpoint. I truley like ALL types of food, and I hate when people eat Cali rolls and think they like all Japanese food.
    That is ok. I hate it when people call California Cali [​IMG]. I like sushi, but am not overly fond of many cooked Japanese dishes. They are all a bit sweeter than I like.If I had to rank Asian cuisines, Japanese would definitely come after Chinese, Indian, Korean and probably Thai.

5. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Bla bla bla cultural elitism bla bla bla authenticity bla bla bla deep-fried TESTICLES...

Seriously guys that's all I can hear...y'all just need to get over it all. Everybody, one and all.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't like Thai. I prefer Vietnamese.

7. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

not doing much better. [​IMG]

Not all Japanese food is sushi.

Japanese cuisine is fantastic, I agree with this statement. But there is a lot more to it than just raw fish.

I personally love:

donburi - various items on top of a bowl of rice, can include raw fish (called chirashi), also oyako-don which is a flavorful egg scramble with onions and chicken
    nabe - a pot of broth with vegetables and meat boiling in it, yosenabe is a seafood pot, sukiyaki is beef and veggies in a soy-based broth, shabu shabu is a seaweed-based broth (i believe, anyway) and involves thinly sliced beef, tofu and vegetables and several dipping sauces
    ramen - chashuu ramen is my favorite... tororo ramen (sweet potato) is good in small doses but the sliminess is gross sometimes.
    hamberg steak - japanese flavor meatloaf... mmmmm....

then of course there's okonomiyaki and a million other things.

Tonkatsu and Teriyaki Beef have to be top ones for me.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They also have a deep-fried pork chop.

9. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Dont forget everyone's favorite: Nattou! If you are a gaijin (any kind not just us crackers) and can eat that then you truely like Japanese food. Personally, I can eat it, I can eat a whole bowl of it if I need to but I dont really go to far out of my way to eat it. Might I order it as a side? Occasionally, yes. Takoyaki is also quite good when made right.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

tako is disgusting in every shape and form. I detest cephalopods.

Nattou is disgusting.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dont forget everyone's favorite: Nato! If you are a gaijin (any kind not just us crackers) and can eat that then you truely like Japanese food. Personally, I can eat it, I can eat a whole bowl of it if I need to but I dont really go to far out of my way to eat it. Might I order it as a side? Occasionally, yes. Takoyaki is also quite good when made right.

NATO has its own cuisine? Christ, it's bad enough that they've got their own black heli units.

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

tako is disgusting in every shape and form. I detest cephalopods.

Nattou is disgusting.

You will change your mind about Tako.

Regarding Nattou...you speak the truth...ain't no getting used to that mound of decaying beans.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I'm not really trying to be a cultural elitist or anything, I just hate it when people say, that they love sushi, or more annoyingly, "Japanese food". My automatic assumption based on my own personal real life experience, (whether right or wrong) is that when most people say this, they mean Maki, or at most, Nigiri.

It's like someone who's sole experience with Mexican food is Taco Bell claiming to love mexican food. How would you know? You've probably never really eaten any!

Some of my favorite Japanese dishes that nobody ever mentions:

Kare Raisu - Japanese style curry and rice
    Yakizakana -a flame grilled whole fish... mmm
    Shabu Shabu - very thinly sliced meat, usually beef, vegetables, and tofu is dipped into a hot soup to cook it, and then into ponzu vinegar
    Tonkatsu - ok, so I mention it all the time, and its pretty readily available here in the US... but many times it's not done properly, or the restaraunt uses chicken instead of pork... etc. When done right, It's excellent!
    Korokke - A "croquette" usually prepared the same way as katsu (coated with bread crumbs and deep fried) but contains a mixture of other things (my favorite being mashed potatoes)

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Shabu Shabu was becoming the new "sushi" the last time I was in LA. Pretty trendy.

15. thisisme

thisisme Senior member

yea like omgz i love california rolls their the best sushiz ever

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Shabu Shabu was becoming the new "sushi" the last time I was in LA. Pretty trendy.

...great...

[​IMG]

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not really trying to be a cultural elitist or anything, I just hate it when people say, that they love sushi, or more annoyingly, "Japanese food". My automatic assumption based on my own personal real life experience, (whether right or wrong) is that when most people say this, they mean Maki, or at most, Nigiri.

It's like someone who's sole experience with Mexican food is Taco Bell claiming to love mexican food. How would you know? You've probably never really eaten any!

Some of my favorite Japanese dishes that nobody ever mentions:

Kare Raisu - Japanese style curry and rice
    Yakizakana -a flame grilled whole fish... mmm
    Shabu Shabu - very thinly sliced meat, usually beef, vegetables, and tofu is dipped into a hot soup to cook it, and then into ponzu vinegar
    Tonkatsu - ok, so I mention it all the time, and its pretty readily available here in the US... but many times it's not done properly, or the restaraunt uses chicken instead of pork... etc. When done right, It's excellent!
    Korokke - A "croquette" usually prepared the same way as katsu (coated with bread crumbs and deep fried) but contains a mixture of other things (my favorite being mashed potatoes)

I like Tonkatsu a lot. It is probably my favorite japanese dish. Good shabu-shabu is also very good. I also like wappa-meshi. The rest of what I have eaten, as I say above, is just too darn sweet.

18. Reuters

Reuters Senior member

I don't like Thai. I prefer Vietnamese.

Viet war vet?

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

+1 on Korokke. They also serve it at Korean restaurants. Love that sauce that often comes with it. But is this really japanese? they seem to have stolen it from the Dutch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette [​IMG]

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

+1 on Korokke. They also serve it at Korean restaurants. Love that sauce that often comes with it.

But is this really japanese? they seem to have stolen it from the Dutch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette
    [​IMG]

And Katsu was stolen from the Portugese, Curry was stolen from India by way of China... whatever. They stole all these things over a century ago, so now they are Japanese food. I wonder who salted fish first and put it on a grill? The Japanese are notoriously incapable of coming up with their own ideas, they just take other people's ideas and make them BETTER.

[​IMG]