• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showing off the entire damned french cuff a la Sammy Davis style

Reaction score
Good Evening; I have been browsing this site for about a year now while re-inventing my wardrobe and learning the dos and don'ts of how to wear suits. I now wear a suit and tie 6 days a week. This site was instrumental to my knowledge of fabrics, fit, accessories, colors, etc. (100% wool suits, 100% cotton shirts, 100% silk ties) I have deviated from the general consensus in a few areas in respect to suit fit, I am one of those 8-10 inch drop guys(40L-42L jacket, 30-32 waist depending on brand), but due to my muscular upper legs from running the 400m dash for 6 years I wear high-waisted pleated plants so I have room to sit. To the point: Many people in the general population wear their suit sleeves entirely too long. To raise awareness of the problem, I have been altering my newest suits to show 2.25 inches of french cuff off in protest. I think I have been able to pull it off, I am certainly not the first person to do this. I have seen historical figures show off a lot of cuff. To maintain some proportion the suit pants have a full break, the shirt collar is worn high and wide, thick and wide windsor knots with large dimple, and I alternate between 2-button suits and double-breasted suits with a moderate degree of waist suppression/pinch. I'll try to take a picture, my question is, have you seen anyone show off a lot of french cuff, exposing the entire cufflink when standing, arms at the side, and is this a major breach of suit etiquette or not? It has not cost me a job or anything. If anything, I have received many compliments on my cufflinks since they are exposed all the time. This is where I got the idea: http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/sh...jacket-sleeves "One man’s normal is another man’s abomination. That brilliant flash of shirt linen that was once so much a part of masculine sartorial allure is today almost extinct. Sinatra showed three quarters to a full inch, Dino an inch to an inch and a half, and I seem to recall Sammy showing the whole damn French cuff. I think a half inch of shirt cuff revealed, with the arms at one’s sides, is the minimum. From there it’s what you dare—though the cuff should never pop all the way out. Ultimately, the shirt cuff attracts the eye, making one’s arms appear long and limber. This has proved important for dancers, like Astaire, and conductors, like Bernstein. His crisp white cuffs made a baton almost unnecessary."

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentChaosFlux
Good Evening;

...I have been altering my newest suits to show 2.25 inches of french cuff off in protest.

Sounds way too short. The purpose of a cufflink is to close the cuff. It gets treated like a piece of jewelry, yes, and can get as funky as you like, but the idea is that it isn't a big flashing sign saying "look at me". Same with the French cuff itself. It's a means of terminating the sleeve- functional, more stylized to some, but still, it's a way to end the sleeve.

The best idea is to be subtle; show a little bit of white (or whatever colors) cuff at the bottom of the sleeve, and then the link, and the French cuff, become another level of detail when seen incidentally as you move your arm around.

Stuff that Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra did then is like stuff Brad Pitt (with the unfolded French cuffs a few years ago, for example) does now- it works because it's them, they're celebrities, and it's all part the show. That kind of stuff tends not go over well with "normal" guys, even in the best of circumstances.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Thom Browne. Seriously though, that sounds awful. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of how this looks though.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
Sounds way too short. The purpose of a cufflink is to close the cuff. It gets treated like a piece of jewelry, yes, and can get as funky as you like, but the idea is that it isn't a big flashing sign saying "look at me". Same with the French cuff itself. It's a means of terminating the sleeve- functional, more stylized to some, but still, it's a way to end the sleeve.

The best idea is to be subtle; show a little bit of white (or whatever colors) cuff at the bottom of the sleeve, and then the link, and the French cuff, become another level of detail when seen incidentally as you move your arm around.

Stuff that Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra did then is like stuff Brad Pitt (with the unfolded French cuffs a few years ago, for example) does now- it works because it's them, they're celebrities, and it's all part the show. That kind of stuff tends not go over well with "normal" guys, even in the best of circumstances.

All good points.

I have 4 suits with the aforementioned shorter suit sleeves.

I'll take a picture and upload it tomorrow. Looks something like this(the sleeves):

36866880.jpg

sinatra+circa+40s.jpg

phpKLCHtxPM.jpg

bernstein.jpg

tgt465

Reaction score
Arms bent or raised can show significantly more cuff than arms straight at the sides. Most of the pictures show bent arms.

tullytra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentChaosFlux
my question is, have you seen anyone show off a lot of french cuff, exposing the entire cufflink when standing, arms at the side, and is this a major breach of suit etiquette or not?

Geoffrey Zakarian regularly has his entire cuff showing. He's a judge on Chopped and Restaurant Impossible on the Food Network. Granted he isn't in the fashion industry, but he's an example of someone who does it.

tgt465

Reaction score
Suit sleeves might be passable, hard to tell because the shirt sleeves are far too long.

Edit to add: Or possibly the shirt cuff is too loose/wide, allowing the sleeve to fall too far down when your arm is at your side.

Reaction score
I have trouble with that sometimes (conforming dress shirt sleeve lengths)

On some brands like Claiborne 34/35 is too short, while in other brands like Calvin Klein or Domani Blue Label 32-33 is too long (like in those pictures)

tgt465

Reaction score
Shortening shirt sleeves an inch or so is relatively easy and will probably cost $20 or so. But it's not clear for the shirt in your picture if the problem is the sleeve is too long or the cuff too wide. The length looks about right for a sleeve which has the cuff undone (an uncuffed sleeve should fall lower than a cuffed one). If you can put your whole hand easily through the cuff while it is done up, then it is possible the sleeve length is correct and the cuff is just too wide for your hand. Whether the cuff width can be easily tailored or not is beyond my experience.

Edit to add: The jacket sleeve length looks just about correct in the new picture. The problem is your shirt sleeve (or cuff).

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've known a couple of Savile Row tailors (cutters actually) who loved to show a good bit of cuff ... perhaps a couple of inches.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont really have an opinion but what a lot of people just don't get when they see shots of celebs from any era is that often they throw something on or a stylist shops and brings them something. Just some food for thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads