• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Ryan that was me.

The guy is in the Myer building, opposite ANZ, in Collins St. His name is Sam.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Many thanks for that too btw. i brought two suits into Sam last week, and he had them ready in 4 days.

I'd highly recommend this guy; he did a wonderful job on both suits, was extremely friendly (and quite complimentary about my grey Paul Smith suit too), and had everything ready ahead of time.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The front door step at the new Drakes store...

Drakes-07.jpg

ruzzi

Reaction score
pink socks, pop, lennier, elvish - thanks for the feedback all, very helpful and I think I'm a bit more comfortable with the peak lapels now. 1 or 2 button is a toughy. another question - best bespoke or mtm tailor in australia that does a slim modern cut ie. high armholes, narrow lapels? i'm 5'10" 60 kgs with girl arms
biggrin.gif
edit: hmmm i think i might have answered my own question.. patrick johnson? http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr....ons-navy-twill think he would be able to slim this down for a skinny asian kid?
smile.gif
tough one as i'm in brisbane and my wedding is in 9 weeks. and i'd need to fly to sydney three times.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Many thanks for that too btw. i brought two suits into Sam last week, and he had them ready in 4 days.

I'd highly recommend this guy; he did a wonderful job on both suits, was extremely friendly (and quite complimentary about my grey Paul Smith suit too), and had everything ready ahead of time.

Reasonably priced ?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
Reasonably priced ?

IIRC correctly, he asks about $15 to shorten hems on pants, $25 to alter pants waist, $25 to do shirt sleeves, etc. Not bad, considering the quality.

I find that he gets the length right on trouser hems; I always found Katrina's cut them too long for my taste and are reluctant to do them shorter even if you ask.

I like the fact that he is willing to talk you out of doing alterations if he doesn't think they'll work. I took a suit into him on Monday and he gave me chapter and verse on the issues before we agreed it wouldn't work.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
pink socks, pop, lennier, elvish - thanks for the feedback all, very helpful and I think I'm a bit more comfortable with the peak lapels now. 1 or 2 button is a toughy.

Just to chime in on the button question. Regardless of style, I'm thinking a 2-button suit might be more practical. I'd hate to be walking around Docklands in the current Arctic conditions with only a 1-button suit on.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents: To buy or not to buy? https://www.oxfordshop.com.au/index....rt&Itemid=139# 80% wool and 20% rubbish. The italian weavers, as it turns out are Manifattura Emmetex which from their corporate site appears to be just mass producers of 'techno' fabrics. There is also a newer grey and black model with the same style except the fabric now is down to 55% wool and 45% rubbish. Also stalked a young gent at Southern Cross Station this morning in dark grey suit, soft black 2 buckle briefcase and a very elegant looking pair of tan half brogue oxfords and perfectly hemmed trousers. Actually I just love those shoes.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I suppose for the price it's ok, but the epaulets really don't do it any favours.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or should I pay double that for a Brioni Silk Trench
laugh.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm what's with the hate for the Ee-Pees?

There anything finally worth a look at at DJ's this second week of sales?

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
I've got a Black coat from Oxford that is similar length. I bought it about 2 years ago and I've been pretty happy with it for the price. I just checked the fabric on mine and it's 80% wool 20% viscose with 50/50 viscose/poly blend lining. It was belted with epaulets and cuff belts(no idea what these are called). I removed all of these recently using a seam ripper and I'm much happier with it. The stiching in one of the pockets has recently gone but everything else has held up well. I paid about $270 for it and certainly don't regret the purchase but I wouldn't buy another one.

I've just re-read that and realised it wasn't particularly helpful. I guess that's due to the nature of it though. I'm neither displeased or thrilled with the purchase.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm like a 36S... Looking for a single breasted coat actually.

edit: Pee Gee - where is azzaro? And you see any in my size?

__PG__

Reaction score
Azzaro are having a sale. I picked up a Pasini suit for $100.

Made in Italy by a Neopolitan compnay. Half-canvassed, classic Neapolitan shoulders, 3-roll 2-button jacket. Giddy up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads