Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Go Aussies!

Against the Serbs? Makes me sick all these Serb hooligans lobbing flares. Why is it always the same old crowd? 99% of them have probably never even set foot in Serbia

2. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Gent catching the tram down Swanston St at about 6pm. Jumped on at Collins. Pocket square and Filson 257 in Olive means he has to be an iGent.

4. lennier

lennier Senior member

Great day for my Chester Jefferies gloves to arrive! Wore them home and was toasty :)

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Today nearly froze my nuts off! It's made that knee length overcoat from Oxford selling for $250 actually attractive.
    I found a trench coat in an op shop about 3 years ago. Today was the first day since then that I've worn it. I think I'll be wearing it a fair bit more soon.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Naaaah I'm too smart for immigration to be caught. I even faked my citizenship convincingly enough to be on the electoral roll (I regret registering to vote actually).

What!! They let you vote? - No wonder this country is really going down the tube.

Today nearly froze my nuts off! It's made that knee length overcoat from Oxford selling for $250 actually attractive.

I don't believe that you need a knee length coat to keep your nuts warm.

I found a trench coat in an op shop about 3 years ago. Today was the first day since then that I've worn it. I think I'll be wearing it a fair bit more soon.

Car played silly buggers in peak hour last night, so I had to walk up to garage this morning to pick it up, then I had city/UniMelb this am, and sophisticated downtown Rosanna this arvo.

Rugged up with big wale cords, my mini gunboat brogues, thick thick oxford cloth shirt, Donegal tweed jacket - plus my old Inspector Gadget looong trench coat, and scarf. New freebie promo umbrella blew inside out in Carlton.

Its times like this you just be glad you are not in Ballaarat.

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

For those who are interested - Gant at 50% is not a bad deal. See attached (print landscape to look like the one they emailed me). Hope this might be of use to some of you Melbourne boys.

Regarding books, The Englishman's Suit by Hardy Amies is easily one of the most interesting books (on any topic) I have ever read. Well worth looking for. Mr Classic by Jeremy Hackett is a enjoyable, quick read with great photographs by Garda Tang.

I can also recommend Gentleman by Bernhard Roetzel, Savile Row by James Sherwood, Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser and Sharp Suits by Eric Musgrave. Handmade Shoes for Men by Lazlo Vass and Magda Molnar is a very technical read on shoes but I like my copy for reference. I have a few other good ones too, but names escape just now, but can look into it anyone needs any more...
    [​IMG]

8. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Pop quiz from a youngin: I am considering ordering a MTM slim fitted dark navy blue single breasted peak lapel one button suit for my wedding.

As I think that Australia is a bit more lax in regards to dress standards and more flexible in regards to 'fashion forward' clothing, is this something I could wear in work or dinner situation again? or am I better served with a dark navy blue two button notch lapel?

This will only be my third suit.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Pop quiz from a youngin: I am considering ordering a MTM slim fitted dark navy blue single breasted peak lapel one button suit for my wedding.

As I think that Australia is a bit more lax in regards to dress standards and more flexible in regards to 'fashion forward' clothing, is this something I could wear in work or dinner situation again? or am I better served with a dark navy blue two button notch lapel?

This will only be my third suit.

Definitely - MTM navy suit (peak lapels or not) will work almost anywhere. It is a classic. If it fits and it is simple and straightforward, as this sounds like it will be, it should be timeless.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Saw a bloke at Northland on Saturday (don't ask) wearing nice brogues, slacks, vest, tie and tweed jacket. Looked immaculate...and totally out of place!

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Was he an old Southern European migrant?

You've just described all the old retired Greek/Italian men who hang around in Northcote plaza drinking coffee all day.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Pop quiz from a youngin: I am considering ordering a MTM slim fitted dark navy blue single breasted peak lapel one button suit for my wedding. As I think that Australia is a bit more lax in regards to dress standards and more flexible in regards to 'fashion forward' clothing, is this something I could wear in work or dinner situation again? or am I better served with a dark navy blue two button notch lapel? This will only be my third suit.
    Nothing to worry about style-wise. Tread wearily, go to a reputable tailor, and take his advice, as the execution is where this could turn out badly.

13. lennier

lennier Senior member

Pop quiz from a youngin: I am considering ordering a MTM slim fitted dark navy blue single breasted peak lapel one button suit for my wedding. As I think that Australia is a bit more lax in regards to dress standards and more flexible in regards to 'fashion forward' clothing, is this something I could wear in work or dinner situation again? or am I better served with a dark navy blue two button notch lapel? This will only be my third suit.
    I'd throw in a note of caution about the 1 button. A 2 button will be less likely to date I expect. To my way of thinking single button is best reserved for dinner jackets.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Was he an old Southern European migrant?

You've just described all the old retired Greek/Italian men who hang around in Northcote plaza drinking coffee all day.

No, he appeared to be an anglo and would have been about 50. Was like a little ray of sartorial sunshine.

I love those older generation Italian and Greek guys who dress with such care.

15. elvish

elvish Senior member

I'd throw in a note of caution about the 1 button. A 2 button will be less likely to date I expect. To my way of thinking single button is best reserved for dinner jackets.

I ordered a single button navy (wide) peak lapel slim suit for my first one and has kept me going v well.
    It was styled on a alessandro dell'acqua.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.