Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvish

elvish Senior member

Main board didnt seem interested.TIA.

I know that feeling!

From what I have read, I would say go with Brioni. I think Incotex has had issues with seams ripping... or maybe that was Mabitex?[​IMG]

Either way I am interested to hear the result

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I read that the BBC is having its "Dr Who" replica tweed jackets (like the one Matt Smith wears in the series) made in China, rather than supporting the local British suppliers from the Outer Hebrides... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ets-China.html

BBC clueless.

A spokesman said: 'The tweed changed because they needed a warmer jacket for outside filming.'

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Went up to have a look in DJs again. Still rubbish. Though they do have some sales on their accessories. Unfortunately none of their Milana leather gloves are on sale. There are some scarves on steep discounts though. 100% wool ones $13, 80% cashmere 20% wool, $25 and 100% cashmere for $35. Wanted to get the cashmere one but I have enough scarves already and it's just plain dark brown. Wool/cash ones are chunkier, textured charcoal.

I'm going down to Oxford after work to get that coat, now that its down to $185.

Edit: Oh, I saw some Canali ties going for $58. So that wasn't so bad.

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

Went up to have a look in DJs again. Still rubbish. Though they do have some sales on their accessories. Unfortunately none of their Milana leather gloves are on sale.

From what I've seen I'd forget the Milanas ($100+?) and go to Chester Jeffries in the UK. I got custom made (single measurement, not full bespoke) beautifully soft nappa leather, cashmere lined gloves from them in a couple of weeks for GBP40 delivered. Just ordered a second pair in black (first pair were mocha brown).

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ 40GBP is decent price. I was looking for the Milanas going at post Boxing Day Sale prices though. I found they went for $40 a pair last time, but there wasn't any size 8s around.

8. Banana Cognac

Banana Cognac Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good talior in the melbourne CBD area - ive got a pair of APC slim fit chinos that need to be taken up.

9. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Pop quiz from a youngin: I am considering ordering a MTM slim fitted dark navy blue single breasted peak lapel one button suit for my wedding.

As I think that Australia is a bit more lax in regards to dress standards and more flexible in regards to 'fashion forward' clothing, is this something I could wear in work or dinner situation again? or am I better served with a dark navy blue two button notch lapel?

This will only be my third suit.

depends a wee bit on how long you want it to last: if you're young and skinny, it probably won't matter so much (as a fomerly young and skinny 40 year old, believe me, you will fill out sooner or later!). You could certainly wear it at work or dinner though I'm always a bit wary of highly styled suits for work, even when they're done nicely. It depends on your job/industry but it does tend to mark you out as junior. As a pom, now back in London after living in Oz for most of the last decade, you're right about the 'fashion forward' thing which is, in part a reflection of a culture that doesn't really embrace formal wear. Ironically, it means that really well cut, fairly classic suits seem to stand out like bollocks on a bulldog(in a good way).
    If it's your wedding, personally, I'd avoid making it overly fashiony, ditching the peak lapel and not going too slim (not sure about peak lapels on a really slim fit suit at all tbh). But that's just my view: you seem to have good idea of what your wanting. And I got married in a kilt and full highland dress so may not be the best placed to comment. Enjoy your day.

10. 3cyr3

3cyr3 Well-Known Member

Quick question, where do you guys source your cedar shoe trees from? Is there a place in Perth, or an aussie online retailer? Or do you eat the postage costs and just order from OS?

11. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Quick question, where do you guys source your cedar shoe trees from? Is there a place in Perth, or an aussie online retailer? Or do you eat the postage costs and just order from OS?

Florsheim do some.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Has anyone got any feedback on Bugatti clothing? I've seen a wool topcoat of theirs on discount for $345. It's a good fit, but I know nothing of the brand/price point etc.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Florsheim do some.
    They're $39.95 [​IMG] Ecco does some too. Also expensive [​IMG] Might as well turn to EBay. I'm still waiting for fellow Melbournians to show some interest in buying trees in bulk from cedarville or Ebay something. With ebay. I think they can go down to as low as <$20 a pair including postage if buy enough. Currently looking at just buying 3 pairs and that rounds to about $27 a pair. Was at Rhodes and Beckett earlier and checked out the chocolate prince of wales check suit. The fit was pretty damn spot on. Just needs to shorten the sleeves and that's it... but at $700 I don't know. I think that hopefully in the coming month or two Herringbone will have a warehouse sale down in Melbourne and according to the guy from Herringbone there should be plenty of non-core suits and plenty of small sizes available at warehouse sales. Fingers crossed for the blue cotton sports jacket and suits! That being said, I have a really hard time finding any solid staple suits on sale anywhere and with narrow enough shoulders of 16.5". Anyone have any ideas? Edit again: Jump on this Japanese shopping site called Rakuten and checked out suits offered. I am seeing Dormueil cloth suits going for under $300 and Zegna and Loro Piana cloth ones about $400 and made in Japan o.o

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

They're $39.95 [​IMG]

Ecco does some too. Also expensive [​IMG]

Might as well turn to EBay.

I'm still waiting for fellow Melbournians to show some interest in buying trees in bulk from cedarville or Ebay something.

With ebay. I think they can go down to as low as <$20 a pair including postage if buy enough. Currently looking at just buying 3 pairs and that rounds to about $27 a pair.

Was at Rhodes and Beckett earlier and checked out the chocolate prince of wales check suit. The fit was pretty damn spot on. Just needs to shorten the sleeves and that's it... but at $700 I don't know. I think that hopefully in the coming month or two Herringbone will have a warehouse sale down in Melbourne and according to the guy from Herringbone there should be plenty of non-core suits and plenty of small sizes available at warehouse sales. Fingers crossed for the blue cotton sports jacket and suits!

That being said, I have a really hard time finding any solid staple suits on sale anywhere and with narrow enough shoulders of 16.5". Anyone have any ideas?

Edit again: Jump on this Japanese shopping site called Rakuten and checked out suits offered. I am seeing Dormueil cloth suits going for under $300 and Zegna and Loro Piana cloth ones about $400 and made in Japan o.o

I'm a little bit surprised that they are made in Japan, rather than made in China (which is where most of the cheaper Japanese suits are made nowadays).

Having said that, though, Japan is sartorial heaven for slimmer people. A lot of department stores have made-to-measure programs, where you can pick up a custom suit in nice cloth (PoW with brick-red overcheck? Grey flannel chalkstripe?) for $600 or less.

A lot of the good clothing stores - Ships, Beams and others - sell great suits and jackets by Japanese brands such as Ringjacket at reasonable prices.

Jetstar is having a sale at present - you can fly two people to Tokyo for a total of $469 each way. In all seriousness, perhaps you should consider taking a shopping trip over to Tokyo?

15. Gassyndrome

Gassyndrome Well-Known Member

^ Having a NiAlma fitting event tomorrow night. Will post on process and will let everyone know how the end product pans out.

Those C&J are bluchers/derbys and they are typically associated with country wear. You need something with closed lacing for the office. Something like these.

Thanks for that. Let us know how you go with the shirts. And those shoes are lovely....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.