• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit to interviews?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll take a fit pic as I have an interview coming up on Tuesday. I love the way it fits because I'm a slim guy and like slim fits.. but I'm actually worried that it might be bordering on being ostentatiously slim.

I'm essentially wearing the same outfit as the one in the original post, except the suit is from Zara and not H&M. Tie will be the same. Shirt is actually a new one and a bit bluer.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
So I got the suit from Zara and got it tailored to be more slim-fitting in the waist area. It definitely wouldn't be considered a conservative cut, and my parents and older sister are worried that it wouldn't look professional for interviews.

Here's a pic of the lapels; my sister says they're too narrow:

photo%205.JPG

Your sister knows more about suiting than you do
laugh.gif

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Your sister knows more about suiting than you do
laugh.gif

Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)? And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.

oldseed

Reaction score
Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)?

And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.

what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short.

in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit.

seed

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK.

Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short. in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit. seed
It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency.
Originally Posted by Orsini
If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK. Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?
I don't know **** when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here is my zara, tailored suit:
photo%206.JPG
please ignore the absent shoe; my foot is inflamed so i cant wear shoes.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and here is my conservative, boxier cut:
photo%207.JPG
differences compared to zara: - dark, charcoal gray - boxy, loose fit - wider lapels

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and here is my conservative, boxier cut:

photo%207.JPG

differences compared to zara:
- dark, charcoal gray
- boxy, loose fit
- wider lapels

I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.

Yeah. I'm going to play it safe and wear my conservative suit for my big interview.

I actually just came back from a final round interview today for a different position and I wore the Zara suit. I hope I get an offer!

Thanks for the input sir.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a black suit. Never mind the fact that they are actually made.

Real advice: Wear the more conservative suit.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency. I don't know **** when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!
Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day. About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are. Here's a good article about the interview suit. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square. Once again, sorry. As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is my zara, tailored suit:

To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day.

About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are.

Here's a good article about the interview suit.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm

You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square.

Once again, sorry.

As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!

No worries sir. Thank you for that link -- it was very informative!

Originally Posted by El Argentino
To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.

Thanks Argentino. I guess I could have gotten my boxy suit taken in and whatnot, but I've heard that it's very difficult to size down a suit with alterations. I really don't like the sleeves on the jacket because it's very wide and flappy, whereas the sleeves on my Zara suit are slim and fit better.

I'm still glad I have two suits, though.

And yup, I very much so like my new avatar
bigstar[1].gif

ruzzi

Reaction score
i've been to two job interviews at law firms in crappy h&m suits and i got offered the job. the most important things for the suit are:

1) looks neat, tidy and doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

2) you feel comfortable and confident in it! if you don't feel comfortable in the boxy then wear the zara. the last thing you want to be thinking about in your interview how you feel like sh1t in your suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads