1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black suit to interviews?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by GreenFrog, May 23, 2011.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No. I'm curious as to how he has almost 700 posts on a "style" forum but doesn't go to the style part of the forum... No one else thinks it's odd?

I started and once in a while participate in the one of the longest running, with some of the most replies and the most viewed threads in the men's general clothing subfora and even I don't think its odd in the slightest. Someone can search for some obscure non-clothing related item and find themselves on SF and start posting without ever really wondering on the clothing sections.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

lol. i've met my style 'needs' (for the most part -- except men's clothing, as you can see), so now i hang out in the general section. and NOW, im mostly hanging out in this subsection because im looking for tips that will boost my employability. now, kindly disappear please.
    "lol", clearly you haven't met your style needs otherwise you wouldn't be asking such a basic question in the wrong part of the forum. Good luck with your "employability".

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

"lol", clearly you haven't met your style needs otherwise you wouldn't be asking such a basic question in the wrong part of the forum. Good luck with your "employability".

I'm pretty sure I violated zero norms by posting this question in this subforum. And my style needs were met in the SWD forum.

But "thanks" for your "concern."

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

So I got the suit from Zara and got it tailored to be more slim-fitting in the waist area. It definitely wouldn't be considered a conservative cut, and my parents and older sister are worried that it wouldn't look professional for interviews. Here's a pic of the lapels; my sister says they're too narrow: [​IMG]

5. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

So I got the suit from Zara and got it tailored to be more slim-fitting in the waist area. It definitely wouldn't be considered a conservative cut, and my parents and older sister are worried that it wouldn't look professional for interviews. Here's a pic of the lapels; my sister says they're too narrow:
    You're over thinking it .. just don't do anything crazy that'll distract during the interview. No interviewer is going to include the width of your lapels in their decision making process. Just dress in a way that you think you look your absolute best. Once you've got a suit on, you're set. The rest is just confidence building. ps: I think the lapels are fine, as long as the rest of the suit isn't crazy slim.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'll take a fit pic as I have an interview coming up on Tuesday. I love the way it fits because I'm a slim guy and like slim fits.. but I'm actually worried that it might be bordering on being ostentatiously slim.

I'm essentially wearing the same outfit as the one in the original post, except the suit is from Zara and not H&M. Tie will be the same. Shirt is actually a new one and a bit bluer.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

So I got the suit from Zara and got it tailored to be more slim-fitting in the waist area. It definitely wouldn't be considered a conservative cut, and my parents and older sister are worried that it wouldn't look professional for interviews.

Here's a pic of the lapels; my sister says they're too narrow:

[​IMG]

Your sister knows more about suiting than you do [​IMG]

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Your sister knows more about suiting than you do [​IMG]
    Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)? And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.

9. oldseed

oldseed Senior member

Should I stick to my more conservative suit (i.e. boxy and charcoal gray)?

And nowhere did I profess any knowledge over suiting -- hence the thread.

what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short.

in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit.

seed

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK.

Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

what's the job you're applying for? put on your new suit and take a pic of it.. the one in the original post is definitely too short. in any case you're a good looking guy so i wouldn't worry too much about the suit. seed
    It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency.
    If you were death-camp thin, these lapels would be OK. Why did you buy this? I want to know, what was your rational?
    I don't know shit when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

here is my zara, tailored suit: [​IMG] please ignore the absent shoe; my foot is inflamed so i cant wear shoes.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

and here is my conservative, boxier cut: [​IMG] differences compared to zara: - dark, charcoal gray - boxy, loose fit - wider lapels

14. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

and here is my conservative, boxier cut:

[​IMG]

differences compared to zara:
    - dark, charcoal gray
    - boxy, loose fit
    - wider lapels

I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I see nothing wrong with this for interviews. I honestly don't think I'd over-think this part of your interview. Wear something you're comfortable in. The Zara screams 'we be in da club' though.

Yeah. I'm going to play it safe and wear my conservative suit for my big interview.

I actually just came back from a final round interview today for a different position and I wore the Zara suit. I hope I get an offer!

Thanks for the input sir.

16. RSS

RSS Senior member

There is no such thing as a black suit. Never mind the fact that they are actually made.

Real advice: Wear the more conservative suit.

17. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

It's an internal strategy/consulting group, so I'm sure it errs more on the conservative side than, say, a hip, advertising agency. I don't know shit when it comes to suits. No one mentioned the lapels being an issue for the H&M suit. It was just too short. Zara was a substitute and it fit well on my frame and I think it's more flattering than my conservative, boxy suit. That being said, I had it taken to a tailor in Boston who's very old-school and he said it was fine -- a very modern cut, but fine. I will take fit pics of the Zara suit and my other suit and decide which one to wear based on input!
    Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day. About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are. Here's a good article about the interview suit. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square. Once again, sorry. As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

here is my zara, tailored suit:

To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...[​IMG]

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Sorry I landed on you so bad. I'd had a bad day.

About 40% of the distance from the V to the shoulder seam is "regular width." Anything less or more is, to a greater or lesser degree, "narrow" or "wide." The tie wants to be about the same width as the lapel. All this is by eye and will vary depending on how thin or burly you are.

Here's a good article about the interview suit.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/W...terviewing.htm

You young guys might be better off thinking of the interview rig as a disguise. That way it might not gripe your livers so bad to have to spend money to look like a square.

Once again, sorry.

As for the rest of you geeks, drop and gimme twenty!

No worries sir. Thank you for that link -- it was very informative!

To my eye, the Zara suit looks way better than the H&M one. I'm not quite as "suit saavy" as some of the guys giving you lip on here, but it is a lot better looking fit-wise. Congrats. I think that's a good buy for only $150.

Don't quite understand the guys that appear in threads to simply commentate on the lack of experience of the OP. Geez. I wonder if all your posts came from telling people how dumb their questions are...[​IMG]

Occurred to me: Why not just have your "boxy conservative charcoal" suit taken in in the first place? To me, while the jacket is kind of shapeless, I think it's generally a good fit. Pants too on that one look decent to begin with.

New frog in the avatar. Nice.

Edit: Appreciate the article in the post above, Orsini.

Thanks Argentino. I guess I could have gotten my boxy suit taken in and whatnot, but I've heard that it's very difficult to size down a suit with alterations. I really don't like the sleeves on the jacket because it's very wide and flappy, whereas the sleeves on my Zara suit are slim and fit better.

I'm still glad I have two suits, though.

And yup, I very much so like my new avatar [​IMG]

20. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

i've been to two job interviews at law firms in crappy h&m suits and i got offered the job. the most important things for the suit are:

1) looks neat, tidy and doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

2) you feel comfortable and confident in it! if you don't feel comfortable in the boxy then wear the zara. the last thing you want to be thinking about in your interview how you feel like sh1t in your suit.