• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Land's End Suits/inexpensive suits

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on Land's end suits. I need to buy a relatively inexpensive suit for interviews. I probably will not have a job that will require me to wear a suit and the only time I usually wear one besides this would be at the occasional wedding/funeral or date. Ideally I'd like to spend less then $250. I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay for a higher quality suit at a low price and checking nordstroms rack and other discount places but so far no luck on something I would consider to be appropriate in my size. I will continue to do these things as I have a couple months before I'll be interviewing, but I might have to buy something from a store that is not heavily discounted.
So, any opinions on the Land's end suits compared to other suits in this price range (or any other recommendations would be welcomed)? Thank you,
Grad.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on Land's end suits. I need to buy a relatively inexpensive suit for interviews. I probably will not have a job that will require me to wear a suit and the only time I usually wear one besides this would be at the occasional wedding/funeral or date. Ideally I'd like to spend less then $250. I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay for a higher quality suit at a low price and checking nordstroms rack and other discount places but so far no luck on something I would consider to be appropriate in my size. I will continue to do these things as I have a couple months before I'll be interviewing, but I might have to buy something from a store that is not heavily discounted.
So, any opinions on the Land's end suits compared to other suits in this price range (or any other recommendations would be welcomed)? Thank you,
Grad.

What size are you? BTW, I'd go target over lands end personally.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40R, I've looked at Target several times and all I ever see is their mixed blend suits (non 100% wool). I'll have to check around at a couple different stores and maybe I'll have better luck.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
40R, I've looked at Target several times and all I ever see is their mixed blend suits (non 100% wool). I'll have to check around at a couple different stores and maybe I'll have better luck.

If you're 40R you should be able to find something on ebay easily. Target usually has the suits, they're called "Merona Premium" or something like that. I believe the price is like $120.

bookish

Reaction score
Target does not stock wool suits at all locations. Some only have poly blends (poly/wool or poly/rayon, I can't remember, but it's about 65% poly). You may have to go through their web site, though I remember not seeing all sizes available through the web.

I just got a Lands' End suit, in charcoal. Whatever they tell you on these forums, finding good solid charcoal suits at a discount is HARD. You might have it easier at 40R.

LEs are all wool, and they are pretty good quality for $200 ($60 more for side vents). The 38R I got was about an inch longer than I expected (32" from top of collar) and the pockets are a little low. The trousers are, of course, hemmed for free down to a quarter inch and mostly available in even and odd waist sizes.

The traditional fits not only have less (or no?) waist suppression than the tailored fits (which are still boxy), they are also .5 inch or so wider in the shoulders. Keep that in mind.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookish
I just got a Lands' End suit, in charcoal. Whatever they tell you on these forums, finding good solid charcoal suits at a discount is HARD. You might have it easier at 40R.

I would tend to agree with this. Yes it is possible to find a suit that is 40R on ebay that would most likely fit me fine (in terms of size). The problem is finding something that is the style/color I'm interested in and is in good condition. Not to mention the risk factor of putting money down on a product that in the majority of cases will not be returnable. Not to say that its impossible, there are definite deals out there and I've had good luck finding sports coats I'm happy with off of ebay.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
I used to have a Lands' End suit and I liked it. It was 100% wool, lined trousers, and one of the best points was that they sell separates, so if you have an unusual drop you don't have a problem with sizing.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely go with LE over Target. LE is at least respectable quality most of the time, and if you're dissatisfied with the quality, you can return it without question, regardless of alterations or wear. And items can be returned it to your local Sears, which is an added bonus.

I checked out Target suits out of curiosity a few weeks ago, surprised that someone here recommended them as bargain-priced travelling suits. I found them to be of extremely poor quality, even as bargain-priced travelling suits -- 100% wool that looked and felt like 100% polyester. Perhaps it was a different line than I'd read about. I can't testify about fit, because I couldn't bear the thought of trying it on. I'd imagine LE is probably a decent bargain-priced suit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I'd definitely go with LE over Target. LE is at least respectable quality most of the time, and if you're dissatisfied with the quality, you can return it without question, regardless of alterations or wear. And items can be returned it to your local Sears, which is an added bonus.

You can return suits at Target too just as easily if not more so, because there are more Target stores.

I checked out Target suits out of curiosity a few weeks ago, surprised that someone here recommended them as bargain-priced travelling suits. I found them to be of extremely poor quality, even as bargain-priced travelling suits -- 100% wool that looked and felt like 100% polyester. Perhaps it was a different line than I'd read about. I can't testify about fit, because I couldn't bear the thought of trying it on. I'd imagine LE is probably a decent bargain-priced suit.
You probably weren't looking at the same suit then. The one I have has very nice fabric, it feels better than the Hugo Boss suits I've owned and is at least as good as a Banana Republic/J Crew suit and better quality than H&M and Zara for less than half the price.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, if you're going to only be wearing it once for sure and then maybe once or twice a year after that a Target suit will 'suit' you fine. Also, given the large amounts of Target stores around, returning it would be easier than say Land's End.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I think, if you're going to only be wearing it once for sure and then maybe once or twice a year after that a Target suit will 'suit' you fine. Also, given the large amounts of Target stores around, returning it would be easier than say Land's End.

Actually you can return Land's End items at most Sears stores now, so thats not really an issue, at least for me.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually you can return Land's End items at most Sears stores now, so thats not really an issue, at least for me.

I think the Target suits are cut better as well. They have a nice slim fit and have flat front pants. Maybe I'll post new pics of mine later.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
You can return suits at Target too just as easily if not more so, because there are more Target stores.

You probably weren't looking at the same suit then. The one I have has very nice fabric, it feels better than the Hugo Boss suits I've owned and is at least as good as a Banana Republic/J Crew suit and better quality than H&M and Zara for less than half the price.

See, I had the same thing as Quirk. The suits here are not at all like the ones you have seen, drizzt. All polyester blends, rather naff looking. I have seen wool suits on the Target website though.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen previous co-workers wear Land's End, seems like a decent, traditional cut suit. I am having my H&M slim suit altered right now. I like the cut on it much more than the Target one I bought and then returned.

The suits at BR are atrocious, the shoulders are much too wide and the quality stinks. Only nice BR one I ever saw was in San Fran there was a wool/silk blend that looked quite nice, though I didn't try it on.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the Target suits are cut quite nicely. Look at the waist suppression on the pic I posted. Shoulders look pretty nice as well. Keep in mind that this suit has >0< alterations, and most of my suits need to be at least nipped in the waist. This outfit cost less than $200 including the AE Fairgates which are not pictured. H&M Merona Jos A Bank Vintage AE
11hg4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads