• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice in buying Monks

habanos

Reaction score
I wear a 9.5 E in most brands and want to buy some doublemonk Lowndes from S&H but have been told C&J shoes are a bit narrow for me in this size. I also like the Cornwallis but they are Blake stitched and from another maker. Should i try a Lowndes in 10 US or go with the Cornwallis single monk? BTW my feet are 10.5 IN L X4.2 IN W if that helps.

miurasv

Reaction score
The C & J E fitting is their medium width. UK width sizes are very confusing as Church's use F as their medium width fit. I spoke with a very helpful gentleman at C & J on Tuesday, a Mr Robin Guiness, and he's going to send me a C & J size guide which I will hopefully receive very soon. I always thought that the UK average/medium fit was F but Mr Guiness tells me that most English shoemakers use E as the medium width fit and F would be wide. He also told me that the C & J G fit is wider than Church's H Width fit. To meausure your feet properly I'd use metric cm or mm.

miurasv

Reaction score
According to Loake's size guide you are a UK size 8. To gauge the width size of your foot you have to measure the girth of your foot between its widest points which is the bone where your foot/toes bend. This will be a diagonal line. You can use a piece of string to do this. There are many guides on the net and unfortunately a lot of them differ in the end calculation which isn't much help. When I receive the C & J guide I'll let you know.

habanos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by black_umbrella
Trappist. They make better beer.

But the ones i have seen seem to be wearing black Reebok Lace-ups like my father sports. I must admit the white cape would be a nice option though
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads