• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scalped YNDX for a nice 10% ROI. Not bad.
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scalping just means in and out for a quick profit. Of course, it can backfire. I remember scalping AAPL back when the ipod came out and thought I was being smart taking my profits when I made 2 bucks a share. Had I held on, I'd be a multi-millionaire by now heh.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Scalping just means in and out for a quick profit. Of course, it can backfire. I remember scalping AAPL back when the ipod came out and thought I was being smart taking my profits when I made 2 bucks a share. Had I held on, I'd be a multi-millionaire by now heh.

To be clear (so somebody doesn't try to jump on a "sure thing" scalping plan): when it backfires, it is not making 2 bucks a share when you could have ridden the apple train all the way up (this is a success combined with sellers remorse).

When an attempt to scalp an IPO backfires, you lose money. If you had hopped in on linkedin in the opening trading around $85 and it had fallen back towards the IPO price...you'd get fucked. Since you are relying on hype to buoy the price, an IPO that looks like a loser doesn't have a good chance of recovering during the day (especially when the people who made it pop to $85 start bailing on their positions).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...I realize that. (wasn't in on LinkedIn btw).

edit: Okay, here was something I didn't know until Fidelity just called me. With a margin account, you aren't allowed to do day trades, you need a day trade account. When I asked how do I get a day trade account, she said just keep doing what you're doing and it will convert haha

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just inherited a portfolio from my uncle for a grad gift and it has around 2.5 grand in cash available for investing.

Any good stock picks? I know the market plummeted yesterday, so I'm hoping to get something for the cheap. Maybe I'll buy some index funds.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
thinking of buying slv. thoughts?

With the margin hikes, and JPM covering their massive short position in SLV not by delivering silver to the warehouse, but applying to become a warehouse themselves and getting approved in only 2 days (average processing time for apps is 45 days), many people are under the impression SLV doesn't actually have any silver.

If you are dead set on buying an ETF may want to look at AGQ instead.

Personally, as much of a conspiracy theorist as I am, silver bugs have me beat being crazy, big time. I don't know if all that's true or not, and don't really care since I prefer to own bullion over paper shares.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah considering i just got my portfolio a couple hours ago, i dont think im going to jump right onto silver.

thoughts on svspx?

just thinking of going all-in with 2.5k on that for the long term, especially considering the crash yesterday.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah considering i just got my portfolio a couple hours ago, i dont think im going to jump right onto silver.

thoughts on svspx?

just thinking of going all-in with 2.5k on that for the long term, especially considering the crash yesterday.

Is there a compelling reason to take that over vfinx?

Either way, I'd say yes, dumping all the money in there is not a bad idea (depending on where the rest of the portfolio is)

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Is there a compelling reason to take that over vfinx? Either way, I'd say yes, dumping all the money in there is not a bad idea (depending on where the rest of the portfolio is)
nope. it simply was the first s&p fund i found through my platform's research tab. as you can see, i dont know **** about stocks
blush.gif
vfinx it is! edit: some of the stocks in the portfolio include disney, broadcom, korea fund, toronto dominion bank, mcdonalds, pepsi, and several others.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch Groupon's IPO. It will do the exact opposite of LNKD.

newbie123

Reaction score
nope. it simply was the first s&p fund i found through my platform's research tab.

as you can see, i dont know **** about stocks
blush.gif

vfinx it is!

edit: some of the stocks in the portfolio include disney, broadcom, korea fund, toronto dominion bank, mcdonalds, pepsi, and several others.

Even if it's just a small amount, I would suggest putting 10-15% in bonds (Vanguard Total Bond Index) to serve as a buffer in case the market tanks again.

45elkton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Watch Groupon's IPO. It will do the exact opposite of LNKD.

why do you say that? they actually have substantial revenue + revenue growth.

much more clearly defined business model than linkedin in my opinion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads