• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Thanks for that. So, if anyone shorted linkedin, they would have made a lot of money?
Yeah, but be very careful. If you short a stock and end up being wrong about it, your losses can be limitless. At least when you go long you can only lose all of your investment. Short a stock at 20 that pops to like 40 and your broker forces a margin call....you're fucked.

lastlight

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Sino-Forest Corp as a value buy. TSX: TEF

Muddy Waters has done this lot, and the company is planning tours in July for investors and analysts to come see their timber stocks.

After such a plunge seems hyper-undervalued if their property is legit.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a tip from someone that works on wall st. Don't buy individual stocks, instead buy low cost index funds and etf that track the broad index. You may think you can pick stocks but you can't...no one can.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
here's a tip from someone that works on wall st. Don't buy individual stocks, instead buy low cost index funds and etf that track the broad index. You may think you can pick stocks but you can't...no one can.

This is the basic truth of it.

Funds carry the bulk of my portfolio...everything else is just a game.

That being said, I don't think it is impossible to pick stocks...but it is very difficult to do it reliably and frequently on the scale that makes it worthwhile. This shouldn't necessarily dissuade you from making a bet if you think it is worth it--you are going to have trouble doing this every day or even every year but there can be opportunities where you think you have better knowledge than the market where there is no reason not to try. What if you were a usability engineer/interface designer at an mp3 player manufacturer when the ipod came out and everybody was like "it costs $100 more than a nomad and has a quarter of the space...", but you realized that they solved all of the problems that were keeping normal people from picking up mp3 players.

It's not a retirement plan but you can beat vegas odds if you only gamble when you've got a bright idea.

mikeman

Reaction score
What do you guys think of appl right now? I have some and am up only about $55 a share, and it has been declining frequently. Would now be a good time to sell, especially since the US economy isn't looking so hot? I also hold physical silver, but i'm not worried about that long term.

GHo

Reaction score
VXX

Market is getting dicey.

I also like TBT - although treasuries might be the play for awhile if this market takes a trip south.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You are betting that the price will go down.

Basically, you borrow the shares from someone else and then sell them at the market rate. Then you have a bunch of money but you owe a guy a bunch of shares (plus some interest to make loaning the shares to you worthwhile).

If the stock drops, you can buy shares for less than you sold them for to give back to the guy and you get to keep the difference.
Of course, if you keep waiting and the stock goes up, eventually the guy is going to want his shares back and you will have to buy them back for more than you sold them for.

This is why people are often perfectly comfortable saying "such and such is overvalued and going to crash" but may not be willing to take on a large short position. If the crash doesn't happen for 3 months and it keeps slowly going up in price, you will spend a lot of money covering your short positions.

edit: I should note, this requires an active market for borrowing shares. It is not hard to short a tech darling like apple but you are going to have a lot more trouble shorting a more thinly traded stock (or one where people are less willing to lend shares) is difficult. You may be completely confident that some crappy penny stock is going to fall (especially if it just had a big run up) but it will be impossible to make that bet.

Don't forget, you need to take a few weeks to hop on the Yahoo Message boards to bash the **** out of a stock so it can go down. (See John Mackey of Whole Foods - - Wild Oats)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prada IPO, anyone getting in?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any thoughts on COOL? Looks like a breakout, may watch it and buy a little bit on a pullback. Looks good to me at 3.50, even better forming a higher low at ~2.75

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Any thoughts on COOL? Looks like a breakout, may watch it and buy a little bit on a pullback. Looks good to me at 3.50, even better forming a higher low at ~2.75

Did you pre-order Cookin' Mama 6 or something?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good time to get in on gold ETFs?

edit: im interested in IAU

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Did you pre-order Cookin' Mama 6 or something?
I want to play with this **** right now and don't want to wait for IPOs...thinking about messing with COOL and GLUU. Ohh, COOL may be a good buy in a few days, but GLUU is looking good to me right now

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just bought shares of IAU. my first ever transaction!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics