• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Uncle Boonmee won the Palme d'Or this time last year and that film's an egg. It doesn't mean ****. Not to mention Bal (which plays at the film festival you're attending) won the Golden Bear. Thank god you don't have it on your agenda. Talk about trailers being better than the film. I made the mistake of seeing it.

Uncle Boonmee was fantastic if you watch it in its proper context but there was no way in hell that film, or anything else directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, will ever bring in the audiences. (Although Syndromes and a Century may just be one of the loveliest love stories made in the last decade).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will probably see it because my wife wants to. Seems sort of offbeat, has some fine acting talent in it, so might be worthwhile.

Of Malick's previous efforts, I saw Days of Heaven with my mother. I don't remember it too well, but I recall liking it. On the other hand, I just hated The Thin Red Line. Everybody I knew who knew anything about WWII and things military hated it. Some of my pals walked out on it.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I am into WWII and I loved it. It's the only movie that has managed to make me comprehend somewhat the stress of combat.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I watched Days of Heaven last night. I thought it was great. It's hard to make a film about religion and morality that is objective, but it is.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i still think 2001 is ludicrous and over intellectualized.

Originally Posted by tagutcow
Yeah, well going back to my previous comparison, 2001 got walkouts during its premiere and recieved scathing reviews (most famously from Pauline Kael.) In spite of that, it went on to become a popular success and one of the acknowledged all-time-greats.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011...tree_of_l.html
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scharres/2...al_kitsch.html

Kitsch!?! Well, yeah, 2001 had that in abundance as well.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I freaking loved The New World. I'm a very big fan. Hubble style shots of the cosmos in a Malick film sound like a feature, not a bug.
It is a great movie indeed. In my opinion the opening scene with Das Rheingold playing is appropriate as Malick in his filmpoetry shows remnants of the Gesamtkunstwerk -- a perfect blending of different sense experiences. That reminds me, whatever happened to the Smell-O-Vision?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i still think 2001 is ludicrous and over intellectualized.
2001 is great and is a movie that has to be experienced properly imo. Watching on some ****** small screen with bad sound probably wouldn't make as much of an impresison, but the music coupled with the visuals makes it a wonderful experience, whatever else you think about it. There are scenes where the movement of the spaceships are choreographed to the music and it's like watching a ballet. It's wonderful. I'm glad i never saw it until i got my projector. Anyway, I just texted a gf to go see it with me, so i'll hopefully see this soon. I really liked the trailer.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
2001 is great and is a movie that has to be experienced properly imo. Watching on some ****** small screen with bad sound probably wouldn't make as much of an impresison, but the music coupled with the visuals makes it a wonderful experience, whatever else you think about it. There are scenes where the movement of the spaceships are choreographed to the music and it's like watching a ballet. It's wonderful. I'm glad i never saw it until i got my projector.

Anyway, I just texted a gf to go see it with me, so i'll hopefully see this soon. I really liked the trailer.

Agree, although I always thought "experienced properly" meant a head full of mushrooms. You're the first I've heard mention a projector.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I need to change my pants.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Agree, although I always thought "experienced properly" meant a head full of mushrooms. You're the first I've heard mention a projector.
It's stunning on blu-ray on a 108" screen.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Imperator

Reaction score
I saw it last night at the Landmark Sunshine. I thought it was incredibly powerful, in a way that I now struggle to convey in words. After it was over, my wife and I left the theater and walked to the closest subway stop (15 minutes away) without saying a word; we were absolutely dumbstruck.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
I saw it last night at the Landmark Sunshine. I thought it was incredibly powerful, in a way that I now struggle to convey in words. After it was over, my wife and I left the theater and walked to the closest subway stop (15 minutes away) without saying a word; we were absolutely dumbstruck.

There's an F stop right across the street...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads