• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a guide to debunking bad science

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i liked the article. ill read the actual study when i haveh some time

the fat head movie has a big low carb bias (ie typical only insulin can make fat, constant high insulin levels lead to hyperinsulinemia, starches turn immediately to glucose and immediately to fat). he also cites eades and taubes as scientific authorities

at the end of the documentary he's like watch me go on a low carb diet and get my numbers down. the thing is cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, etc improve on a caloric deficit and low carb diets have been shown to be very successful in reducing caloric intakes.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't any calorie restrictive diet technically a low cab diet when one factors in the energy from fat reserves?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Isn't any calorie restrictive diet technically a low cab diet when one factors in the energy from fat reserves?

Exactly.

Put simply, low-fat diets that also cut significant calories will cut carbohydrates significantly as well, and often by more than they cut fat.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont understand what this statement "any calorie restricted diet has to be a low carb diet" has to do with "when factoring in energy from fat reserves" i eat 75 to 100g carbs every day along with 200+g of protein and 30g or so of fat, which ends up being around 1600 calories or so. i mean i guess it really depends on what low carb means to you. some studies put the upper limit at 100g, but i've seen studies that say low carb and then put it at 150, 200g. -_- i think what you were trying to say is that carbs and fats go together in foods? but thats not necessarily true i'm tired of belaboring this point, but low carb diets are effective at losing weight for normal americans who dont want to count calories, who dont want to put it effort, and who want to eat ad libidum. it works wonders. when it comes to athletes however it's a different story. you need glucose for your brain to function optimally. you need glycogen for your muscles to function optimally. yes your body can function without carbs (glucose is not an essential nutrient), but it doesnt function optimally without it. if you can look past all the inflammatory remarks anthony colpo dissects a few low carb studies here (http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1535)

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i dont understand what this statement "any calorie restricted diet has to be a low carb diet" has to do with "when factoring in energy from fat reserves" i eat 75 to 100g carbs every day along with 200+g of protein and 30g or so of fat, which ends up being around 1600 calories or so. i mean i guess it really depends on what low carb means to you. some studies put the upper limit at 100g, but i've seen studies that say low carb and then put it at 150, 200g. -_- i think what you were trying to say is that carbs and fats go together in foods? but thats not necessarily true
I think what he might have been trying to say is that even low fat, calorie restricted diets are, by virtue, low carbohydrate diets. By cutting your total calories, you are, in effect, lowering your total carbohydrate intake as well.
i'm tired of belaboring this point, but low carb diets are effective at losing weight for normal americans who dont want to count calories, who dont want to put it effort, and who want to eat ad libidum. it works wonders. when it comes to athletes however it's a different story. you need glucose for your brain to function optimally. you need glycogen for your muscles to function optimally. yes your body can function without carbs (glucose is not an essential nutrient), but it doesnt function optimally without it. if you can look past all the inflammatory remarks anthony colpo dissects a few low carb studies here (http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1535)
Making this distinction is key; the dichotomy in lifestyle between professional athletes and the general population is important when considering diet composition. The athlete who is looking for maximum performance as their goal and the 40 pound, overweight, middle aged woman will obviously possess some discrepancies in which diet works best for them and their desired outcomes.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i'm still not sure why a calorie restricted diet has to be by virtue a low carb diet.

i guess if you severely restrict calories and are of the mind that protein is absolutely necessary then yeah it would be a low carb diet and a low fat diet.

but at a more moderate restriction you can eat good amount of carbs and still maintain the restriction.

whew. glad we agree about athletes.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess a more accurate way of putting it is that any calorie restricted diet would be a lower carbohydrate diet as well.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I guess a more accurate way of putting it is that any calorie restricted diet would be a lower carbohydrate diet as well.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was saying. I guess the term "low carb diet" doesn't have a set level of carbs defining it....I would say that low carb is any diet where fat is the predominate macro is low carb (fat reserve calories included). MMM, I wonder though, people who have carbs dialed in as their top macro while dieting, and improve their blood lipids- do the improvements in lipids remain when they switch to a maintenance diet (and thereby actual consuming a higher percentage of carbs)?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
MMM, I wonder though, people who have carbs dialed in as their top macro while dieting, and improve their blood lipids- do the improvements in lipids remain when they switch to a maintenance diet (and thereby actual consuming a higher percentage of carbs)?
When you speak of "people who have carbs dialed in as their top macro while dieting", I'm assuming you are speaking of those who are focusing on limiting carbohydrates as a means to lose weight? In that case, you are asking: when they do successfully lose weight, simultaneously improving their blood lipids in the process, and are at a "maintenance phase" diet-wise, once they start consuming more carbohydrates, does the effect of improved blood lipids somehow reverse? My answer is probably not, with one important caveat: the quality of the carbohydrates they are consuming. Just because they are now able to maintain their weight loss with a higher level of carbohydrates in their diet, does not mean that they will necessarily maintain the improved health biomarkers and lipid profiles they achieved by cutting out sugars and refined starches at the start of their diet (the foods that got them fat and sick in the first place). To put it simply: if you can stay lean with 100g of carbohydrates per day, make those carbohydrates whole and fibrous, as opposed to refined and processed. The improvements in your VLDL particle size, HDL/LDL ratio will all thank you for doing so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads