• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite pizza

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll take plain old cheese pizza, please. A little hole in the wall called Capri Pizza (located in Lake George, N.Y.) has the best I've ever tasted. EDIT: Actually, another hole in the wall called Pasquale's (Camerino, Italy) was probably the best pizza I've ever had. So damn good.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'll take plain old cheese pizza, please. A little hole in the wall called Capri Pizza (located in Lake George, N.Y.) has the best I've ever tasted.

EDIT: Actually, another hole in the wall called Pasquale's (Camerino, Italy) was probably the best pizza I've ever had. So damn good.

Be sure not to get any tomato sauce on your new shirt. That would be a shame.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
...I am curious if anyone has extensive experience with NY and so -called California pizza. Manton maybe? I honestly can't imagine that these poseurs from the wrong coast know what real pizza is, let alone are able to judge its quality.
No one wants to take up the challenge? Cali pizza vs. NY?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I think we all had the same childhood (add Zaxxon for me, and Joust)

Damn Zaxxon!! I haven't heard that name in 25 years and it just gave me weird flashbacks of my parents' basement and my Colecovision. I used to rule that game
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I bought one of those joysticks with Ms. Pacman and Galaga last year that you can play on your TV and it was fun for a while but I'm so out of practice.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There's been a Gap on Telegraph since the '80s at least. But back then, there was no Berkeley Zach's; only Rockridge. I don't know when the Berkeley one opened.

They just opened one in San Ramon. The first one east of the Caldecott. From what I hear, they are making money hand over fist. The Rockridge location is blocks from my house. It is divine pie, although I prefer NY thin crust, when push comes to shove.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
the one on Valley is still there, surprisingly. never was a huge fan tho, but I remember going to Straw Hat in Tokyo and thinking how much better it tasted in Japan

oh, and good call on nicky Ds....went there last nite and it was a great pie! we're gonna go back and try something a little bit more interesting than the typical pepperoni/mushroom we had last nite

Whew...that was close. Thought you racked up a bill in my name. Again.

The pesto's good, too. Hell, everything and anything is good there. Still waiting to hear what Lawyerdad's verdict is.

England's in the mail, btw.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Nicky D's but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock. That's the place that get's mentioned most often when people talk about the best pizza in L.A.

I used to go to Pizza Buona at the corner of Alvarado and Sunset in Echo Park. Not bad.

I kinda like Damiano's actually. That's the closest to NY style I've found around here. Not great NY style, but passable.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The holy pizza trinity in West Hartford, CT is Harry's, Luna's, and Barb's. I will declare Luna's the best pizza on the planet and, since very few of you are ever going to try any of these, I expect that my assertion will go unchallenged.

boxing[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I like Nicky D's but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock. That's the place that get's mentioned most often when people talk about the best pizza in L.A. I used to go to Pizza Buona at the corner of Alvarado and Sunset in Echo Park. Not bad. I kinda like Damiano's actually. That's the closest to NY style I've found around here. Not great NY style, but passable.
I like Casa Bianca´s trad-tasting pizza but hate the constant lines and waiting on any given night. If I wanted greasy pizza, I´d just head to Palermo´s in Los Feliz.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
No one wants to take up the challenge? Cali pizza vs. NY?

Tom, I don't think we can even define what a California pizza is, unless it is the Puck-inspired dumping of non-traditional toppings on a small sized pie. Certainly, when it comes to California's attempts to replicated the great recipies from elsewhere, no California restaurant that I know of can match the quality of a good original.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
That's about what I figured. There's a lot of self love going on about the "best pizza in the universe...in LA!" and I just don't buy it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Though I will give Zachary's credit: it is much closer to a good Chicago pizza than any of the CA attempts to make a New York pizza. The Naples copies are all lame, and beaten embarassingly by Naples-inspired pizzas in Northern Italian border towns.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Tom, I don't think we can even define what a California pizza is, unless it is the Puck-inspired dumping of non-traditional toppings on a small sized pie. Certainly, when it comes to California's attempts to replicated the great recipies from elsewhere, no California restaurant that I know of can match the quality of a good original.
Try Delfina Pizzeria the next time you favor your home state with your presence. It is the best pizza that I have had outside Italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads