favorite pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 14, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Though I will give Zachary's credit: it is much closer to a good Chicago pizza than any of the CA attempts to make a New York pizza. The Naples copies are all lame, and beaten embarassingly by Naples-inspired pizzas in Northern Italian border towns.

I think that there is a bigger question - is chicago pizza an ideal to be aimed for? I am not sure - while it is nice every now and again, I would say that I prefer both italian pizza and new york style pizza to chicago pizza.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I think that there is a bigger question - is chicago pizza an ideal to be aimed for? I am not sure - while it is nice every now and again, I would say that I prefer both italian pizza and new york style pizza to chicago pizza.

Yes, as I noted, I am a convert away from Chicago style and in favor of NY style. I can't even remember the last time I had a Chicago style pizza, though I still have fond memories of Zachary's, whatever johnapril says. I have had a few pies in Chicago as well (been at least 10 years however), and I enjoyed them. I wish I could remember what restaurants.

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Can anyone recommend any decent pizza in Freedom? [​IMG]

4. globetrotter

Yes, as I noted, I am a convert away from Chicago style and in favor of NY style. I can't even remember the last time I had a Chicago style pizza, though I still have fond memories of Zachary's, whatever johnapril says. I have had a few pies in Chicago as well (been at least 10 years however), and I enjoyed them. I wish I could remember what restaurants.

when I feel like a 3 inch thick chunk of cheese, dough and meat, I meander over to Giordono's, a local chain that has a branch a few blocks from my house. or Lou Malnati's. both very good examples chicago pizza.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Filthy Loehmann's DSquared shopping poseurs in Audis.

Two-timing, American Beauty-watching, no good planes, trains, and automobiles-driving, kakamamie, bluetooth panty bunchers.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Can anyone recommend any decent pizza in Freedom? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] non?

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Whew...that was close. Thought you racked up a bill in my name. Again.

The pesto's good, too. Hell, everything and anything is good there. Still waiting to hear what Lawyerdad's verdict is.

England's in the mail, btw.

Haven't gotten there yet - almost went Saturday, but got outvoted. I'll let you know.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Two-timing, American Beauty-watching, no good planes, trains, and automobiles-driving, kakamamie, bluetooth panty bunchers.
    Nail-biting, Trader Joe's shopping, designer water swilling, digital camera-toting, bunny-witch nebbish.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Nail-biting, Trader Joe's shopping, designer water swilling, digital camera-toting, bunny-witch nebbish.

No good, kept, housed, fed, uninsured for a huge black Mercedes driving, 4-hours a week at the salon going, Caymus bathing, Bebe for strippers wearing honky tonks.

10. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Though I will give Zachary's credit: it is much closer to a good Chicago pizza than any of the CA attempts to make a New York pizza. The Naples copies are all lame, and beaten embarassingly by Naples-inspired pizzas in Northern Italian border towns.

Really? I've never had a good pizza in Italy north of Florence - in fact I have found that even the American chains are better than the pizza you will find in Milan, Venice, etc.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Really? I've never had a good pizza in Italy north of Florence - in fact I have found that even the American chains are better than the pizza you will find in Milan, Venice, etc.

I've had great pizza in Milan and points north. Maybe not Venice ...

12. globetrotter

I've had great pizza in milan. I had fantastic pizza in sicaly, though. and some really, really good pizza in rome.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

There's been a Gap on Telegraph since the '80s at least. But back then, there was no Berkeley Zach's; only Rockridge. I don't know when the Berkeley one opened.

The one in Solano has been around a long time. That's actually the first one I ate at.

I used to live in Rockridge/North Oakland at the intersection of College and Alcatraz. Walking distance from Double Rainbow and Zachary's, not to mention a 24 hour Safeway market. The effects on my waistband were marked and lasting.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The one in Solano has been around a long time. That's actually the first one I ate at.

I used to live in Rockridge/North Oakland at the intersection of College and Alcatraz. Walking distance from Double Rainbow and Zachary's, not to mention a 24 hour Safeway market. The effects on my waistband were marked and lasting.

I hear you. I used to live at basically the same intersection, around the corner from Buttercup Bakery. Although that Safeway was great for late-night munchies, what was really cool was the little produce market across the street (next door to the flower place) run by the southeast asian couple. They had an amazing selection of relatively exotic fruits, vegetables, and spices for such a small place, and always had helpful suggestions about how to cook them. Thank god it was sufficiently far from campus that I could burn some of it off biking or walking. It was also a short walk to Royal Coffee, which was by far my favorite coffee place in town.

15. stevo4

stevo4 Senior member

Just remember,

Only you can top Boboli.