favorite pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Just remember,

Only you can top Boboli.

It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

It was also a short walk to Royal Coffee, which was by far my favorite coffee place in town.

Finally, a coffee place to try in Bizerkeley.

Here's hoping your weekend is a little more like a dictatorship and less like a democracy...

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I hear you. I used to live at basically the same intersection, around the corner from Buttercup Bakery. Although that Safeway was great for late-night munchies, what was really cool was the little produce market across the street (next door to the flower place) run by the southeast asian couple. They had an amazing selection of relatively exotic fruits, vegetables, and spices for such a small place, and always had helpful suggestions about how to cook them. Thank god it was sufficiently far from campus that I could burn some of it off biking or walking. It was also a short walk to Royal Coffee, which was by far my favorite coffee place in town.

LD - I lived in a studio at 736 Alcatraz from '94-'95. Royal Coffee = sublime. Max's Blend. I remember Max's Blend. I served Max's Blend at a shop in Lafayette. I sang the praises of Max's Blend on the 4:25 a.m. BART out of Ashby Station. I remember Royal Coffee would grind whatever beans off the list you requested for a single cup serving.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

What's on your Tombstone?

5. stevo4

stevo4 Senior member

I've often thought about starting a thread entitled "Sally's or Pepes"? It seems to be one of the age old debates.

For me, Its always been Sally's Apizza. Pepe's was good but a little soggy. Plus i worked on the "Home" Show back in 88-89 when the show went to CT to cover the First Brick oven Pizza place in CT. (at the time celebrating its 50th Bday)

stevo

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I've often thought about starting a thread entitled "Sally's or Pepes"? It seems to be one of the age old debates.

For me, Its always been Sally's Apizza. Pepe's was good but a little soggy. Plus i worked on the "Home" Show back in 88-89 when the show went to CT to cover the First Brick oven Pizza place in CT. (at the time celebrating its 50th Bday)

stevo

What about Modern's?

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

BTW, what is up with DiGiorno?! How on earth their marketing people could think that DiGiorno might be mistaken for delivery pizza is beyond me. Those commercials kill me.

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

spertia: Before the age of the frozen rising crust pizza, frozen pizza wasn't all that special. It was all pretty thin crust with fairly low quality toppings. Now, it probably couldn't be mistaken for delivery pizza made with the average American's oven, but it's a shit load better than what there was before... closer to pizzeria pizza. Hence, their tag line. ... 13 pages of discussing pizzerias. And I thought people only took selvage denim this seriously here. [​IMG]

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

spertia: Before the age of the frozen rising crust pizza, frozen pizza wasn't all that special. It was all pretty thin crust with fairly low quality toppings. Now, it probably couldn't be mistaken for delivery pizza made with the average American's oven, but it's a shit load better than what there was before... closer to pizzeria pizza. Hence, their tag line. ... 13 pages of discussing pizzerias. And I thought people only took selvage denim this seriously here. [​IMG]
    I am proud to say that I have not eaten a frozen pizza since I was about 12 years old. Nothing can make them better. He best ones were always Stouffers French Bread Pizza.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Finally, a coffee place to try in Bizerkeley.

Here's hoping your weekend is a little more like a dictatorship and less like a democracy...

[​IMG]
    Not sure if it's still there. As I recall, Royal was basically a wholesaler with one little brew spot. It was on College, west side of the street, I think just a block or two south of Alcatraz (but my Berkeleography - or perhaps just my memory in general - has gone a bit fuzzy on me). But way back in the day, the coffee was excellent and the folks who worked there very cool.
    NB: A bit of googling suggests they are still there (at 63rd and College, technically Oakland rather than Berkeley) but are now know as "Cole Coffee".
    http://www.colecoffee.com/about.html

I also got hits for Royal Ground Coffee, with retail several retail outlets (Solano, Shattuck), but I don't think they're related.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I am proud to say that I have not eaten a frozen pizza since I was about 12 years old. Nothing can make them better. He best ones were always Stouffers French Bread Pizza.

+1
    Those were a staple for my brother and me when mom wasn't home to make dinner. They have the added benefit of having a passing resemblance to the "pizza boats" that were served in California public school cafeterias when I was growing up.

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

Tree Tavern [​IMG]

13. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

+1 on the French bread pizza as well. It really is very good.

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

[​IMG]
    Not sure if it's still there. As I recall, Royal was basically a wholesaler with one little brew spot. It was on College, west side of the street, I think just a block or two south of Alcatraz (but my Berkeleography - or perhaps just my memory in general - has gone a bit fuzzy on me). But way back in the day, the coffee was excellent and the folks who worked there very cool.
    NB: A bit of googling suggests they are still there (at 63rd and College, technically Oakland rather than Berkeley) but are now know as "Cole Coffee".
    http://www.colecoffee.com/about.html

I also got hits for Royal Ground Coffee, with retail several retail outlets (Solano, Shattuck), but I don't think they're related.

Ahh...of course. I've tried going to this place several times unsucessfully as I usually get there when they're closed or after Zach's and there's no more room in my stomach.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

LD - I lived in a studio at 736 Alcatraz from '94-'95. Royal Coffee = sublime. Max's Blend. I remember Max's Blend. I served Max's Blend at a shop in Lafayette. I sang the praises of Max's Blend on the 4:25 a.m. BART out of Ashby Station. I remember Royal Coffee would grind whatever beans off the list you requested for a single cup serving.

Yeah, they were great. Evidently Royal/Cole now does mail order, which I'm going to have to try. Not sure of my address, but I think we were close neighbors (leaving aside temporal issues, I lived at that address around 92 or so, I believe) I think I was 745 or so. As I said, I was on Alcatraz, just above College, on the south side of the street. It was a duplex, and perhaps the first or second building in from the corner.