• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow C&J lasts?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which C&J lasts are narrower than the 337? I know the 348 is said to be a bit narrower, but are there any more (benchgrade or handgrade)?

Chris

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I don't have first hand experience with 350 last but I've heard it's pretty close to either 337 or 348.

Thanks von Rothbart. That wouldn't work for me then. When I get the length I need in the 337 it becomes too wide. Even insoles don't help that much.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Have you tried going down half a size on the 337 or 348?

Otherwise, the 238 last used in C&J's regular line shoes is a bit on the narrow side. If you want Handgrade, I spotted this recently:

StandBrown2.jpg

http://www.old.co.uk/acatalog/Mens_Handgrade_.html

- the Strand is an old regular line model on the 238 last but has apparently been made up to Handgrade specs for Robert Old.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
Have you tried going down half a size on the 337 or 348? Otherwise, the 238 last used in C&J's regular line shoes is a bit on the narrow side. If you want Handgrade, I spotted this recently:
StandBrown2.jpg
http://www.old.co.uk/acatalog/Mens_Handgrade_.html - the Strand is an old regular line model on the 238 last but has apparently been made up to Handgrade specs for Robert Old.

Thanks TKDKid! I did try to go a half size down on the 337. Unfortunately that size left my toes cramped and after about 45 minutes it became painful. I ended up selling that pair on ebay. If C&J just made more narrow size I'd be set!

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I have the Cleveland, a handgrade on the 350 last. It's considerably narrower than the 337, maybe the same as the 348. It's my favorite C&J last but seems to be completely unavailable below full retail.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reubencahn,

Thanks for the info. I've heard that the 348 is narrower than the 337 but I didn't know to what degree. If it is considerably narrower than I might give it a shot. I like the Balmuir which I believe is also on the 350. It can be ordered from C&J Paris.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any C&J shoe can be had in narrower widths, but this then becomes a special order proposition (what I believe C&J referred to as at one time as "Semi-Bespoke"). The last time I checked, these ran about 450 GBP, not far from EG territory. The other possibility that I've discovered is Ben Silver, who occasionally gets in C-width C&J Handgrades. I was able to get the Handgrade monk shoe, the Mortimer (240 last), from them in C-width (and at a sale price). You could check them out and keep an eye out for their sales.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the shape of the C&J 337, you might consider purchasing your Handgrade shoes from Barney's New York who stocks D widths. Another alternative for narrow width shoes are the Crockett & Jones English benchmade line. There is some dispute that the manufacturer changed for the current season, but regardless of the provenance, RL tends to favor a narrower fit for their stock widths.

With regards to last fitting in the normal C&J lineup, the 341 is about the closest counterpart to the HG 337. It features a more tapered toe box, and not as much room through the forefoot. It's my favorite last along with the 238 for my slightly narrower than D feet.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
If you like the shape of the C&J 337, you might consider purchasing your Handgrade shoes from Barney's New York who stocks D widths. Another alternative for narrow width shoes are the Crockett & Jones English benchmade line. There is some dispute that the manufacturer changed for the current season, but regardless of the provenance, RL tends to favor a narrower fit for their stock widths.

With regards to last fitting in the normal C&J lineup, the 341 is about the closest counterpart to the HG 337. It features a more tapered toe box, and not as much room through the forefoot. It's my favorite last along with the 238 for my slightly narrower than D feet.

norcal,

I forgot to ask...have you compared the 341/238 to the 348?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant

Norcal,

Is the 341 narrower than than the 337 or the 348? Is the length about the same as those lasts or does it run smaller like many of the other lasts?

TKDKid

Reaction score
My experience:

The 341 is roughly the same length as the 337 and the fit is similar (with the 341 maybe slightly more roomy).

The 238 is slightly shorter than the 341/337 and the fit is slightly narrower.

I found the 348 to fit large and so went half a size down with my pair - and they're still slightly longer than the 337.
wow.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On some models of C&J for BB last numbers overlap; other times they don't.
I would've been spared the whole masturbatory exercise had I known in advance which of C&J lasts run narrow.
So here goes

348: bordering on you-gotta-be-********-me narrow (Barney's exclusive Bagshot' Monk-Strap boot with dainite sole)

324: narrow to the point of being rather uncomfortable to walk around in (C&J for BB wingtip monks)

240: narrow as in very snug; unlikely to be broken in (C&J for BB plain monks)

So if you've got standard (D) width foot, I suggest you keep on walking - pardon the pun
devil.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last they use on the Cordovan derbies for Polo are very narrow for me although still wearable. I think they use the 325. This could possibly be due to a size conversion error but they seem narrow regardless.

Every other last they use which I have tried on fits like a glove and they do not seem narrow at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads