• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How can there be anything shittier than an Applebee's? Doesn't that violate some fundamental law of physics?

You'd think so but somehow this place managed it. It really pissed me off paying for bullshit like that. It's one of those meals I wish I would have just abstained from food altogether and gone hungry.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
You'd think so but somehow this place managed it. It really pissed me off paying for bullshit like that. It's one of those meals I wish I would have just abstained from food altogether and gone hungry.
I find those mid ranged american chain restaurants to be far more offensive than fast food. I'd far rather eat at this Arby's and places like it rather than places selling such crap at considerable prices. Whenever I'm stuck in suburban hell or in some town with not too many options besides what you saw I do one of the following two things: 1) Find out about he best ethnic restaurant in the area. I'd rather eat mid range indian or thai or lebanese than total american **** or failing that 2) Find a diner. If it's mid america hell, or Texas, I can guarantee you there's a fantastic mom and pop diner somewhere that makes delicious things for almost nothing. I've never been to any town in america that doesn't have one of these two things. In my mind there's 3 great types of american food. 1) New Orleans 2) "Southern" Including BBQ 3) Diner food I'd much rather eat at a great diner or even a middling ethnic restaurant (that will usually make something authentic if you ask) than those american chains. Always look for food with a tradition, wherever you find yourself. You'll always be able to learn something from someone preparing food that has been passed down through the decades... that is if it's of the "homecooked" variety. I've almost never had a truly regrettable meal when I've sought that out, even at truck stops.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How can you have never been to an Arby's Field? You haven't lived until you've eaten rat-dropping infested roast beef that's been warmed for 18 hours.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How can you have never been to an Arby's Field? You haven't lived until you've eaten rat-dropping infested roast beef that's been warmed for 18 hours.
Grew up in places where eating that wasn't necessary or commonplace... my ideas of fast food as a kid was curry/kebab/crepe sort of thing... and in NYC as a kid we'd just go to UWS where there's like 50 million diners...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't get the Arby's love, but I've only had it once, when I was 6. I like real roast beef sandwiches, though.
Wendy's Japan is coming back this fall >=D and it's coming back as double Wendy's/Arby's stores... maybe a gangbang is in order...

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
If it's mid america hell, or Texas, I can guarantee you there's a fantastic mom and pop diner somewhere that makes delicious things for almost nothing.
Yes, absolutely. Back in February, I was literally in the middle of nowhere heading to Big Bend National Park in Texas. The last small town before you drive off into 100 miles of desert is Marathon, which literally is a ghost town with a few dilapidated houses and one main road with a row of art galleries and a hotel. They had two or three great local joints run by some really down to earth and genuinely friendly people--which I found to be the case with most all of the residents (a noticeable contrast to what you experience up here in the Northeast). Even if the food isn't anything special, they're worth stopping at just for the sake of the conversation.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Don't **** with Arby's, Rambo. That is my deep, guilty pleasure.

funny ... my first job out of high school was working the grill at a der weinerschnitzel. i got fired after a week because i kept going to the arby's next door for lunch. i still get about one a year. eat it and marvel at what amazingly bad taste i had then.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Yes, absolutely.

Back in February, I was literally in the middle of nowhere heading to Big Bend National Park in Texas. The last small town before you drive off into 100 miles of desert is Marathon, which literally is a ghost town with a few dilapidated houses and one main road with a row of art galleries and a hotel. They had two or three great local joints run by some really down to earth and genuinely friendly people--which I found to be the case with most all of the residents (a noticeable contrast to what you experience up here in the Northeast). Even if the food isn't anything special, they're worth stopping at just for the sake of the conversation.

back many years ago when i was a sportswriter covering west texas, whenever i was within 100 miles of the place, i'd go through a little town called big spring because there was this great dinner that served "meat and three" (you'd order a meat ... usually fried chicken or chicken fried steak) and they'd roll out this gurney with like a dozen vegetables on it and you could choose three of them. i was reminiscing about it one day with a really good guy and great chef named stephan pyles who grew up in the area and he looked startled: "that's my mom and dad's place!".

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
funny ... my first job out of high school was working the grill at a der weinerschnitzel. i got fired after a week because i kept going to the arby's next door for lunch. i still get about one a year. eat it and marvel at what amazingly bad taste i had then.
It's not Taco Bell Moderne, but somehow that hat is a great American icon.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great story. i'll have to try it. i teach at the greenbrier every couple of years and the area for about 100 miles around has always seemed like a black hole for food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads