• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
my fave hober post yet. price? David?

PM'ed.

details on the tie (exact measurements/bespoke request, etc), more photos please, and do you have any others by Hober? This is great looking!

Ill see what pictures I can find of the other ones. Regarding the measurments, im actually not sure. Its 8,5cm x 150cm, but I dont remember the rest. Hobers keeps them on record, so I dont have to.

Originally Posted by Sam Hober

Getzione,

Your photography is very creative, it makes your tie come alive. Is photography one of your hobbies?

Thank you, David. Heh, not at all, though. These where taken with my phone while I was curiously looking at the details of the tie just after i received it.

nhannon

Reaction score
Lined 6-fold construction with MCT-34 8cm x 59" (I copied my Drake's ties specs) I chose the Express shipping option and received my tie 4 days after hearing from David that it had shipped. It's a phenomenal tie. It feels like it weighs about 5 lbs with all the silk.
hober001.jpg
hober002.jpg
hober003.jpg

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I have to say, I was a bit skeptical at first about the quality of construction of the Hober ties. I mean, the site is a bit disorganized and it didn't look like a quality operation.

How wrong I was. The ties are amazingly constructed, and the hand detailing, particularly the rolled edges, trumps the Borrelli ties I've seen and is at least as good as my Hermes ties. I'm planning another order soon and am pouring over my swatches in anticipation.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nhannon
Lined 6-fold construction with MCT-34

8cm x 59" (I copied my Drake's ties specs)

I chose the Express shipping option and received my tie 4 days after hearing from David that it had shipped.

It's a phenomenal tie. It feels like it weighs about 5 lbs with all the silk.

hober001.jpg

hober002.jpg

hober003.jpg

Fantastic but you are yet another poster who shows us the back of the ties with hand-rolled edges but not the front. Can we see the big blade from the front?

nhannon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Fantastic but you are yet another poster who shows us the back of the ties with hand-rolled edges but not the front. Can we see the big blade from the front?

I actually went with the self-tipping rather than rolled edges. I believe the backside of this fabric is solid brown like this: http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield...square-34.html.

hober005.jpg

hober004.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone photos.

nhannon

Reaction score
^ the above keeper is awesome, as is the no label from manufacturer!
You can see four marks just below the keeper where the tag originally was. It was meant as no disrespect to David, I remove the tags from all of my ties, and most of my clothing in general. I would request that they don't add a tag to any future ties, of which there will be many. I was extremely pleased with the entire process. I also have 2 Carlo Riva pocket squares on their way, ordered after seeing voxsartoria's post. I opted for the powder blue gingham and solid white linen.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
What's the general consensus on grenadine garza grossa vs fina? Which looks better? Which is more classic? Formal?

I feel garza fina is more formal, but YMMV.

Reaction score
mr. hober can customers from thailand actually drop by to place an order or to help us pick out a tie better suited for us? like the way we tie it, or color, width, etc...

vesses

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David is a gentleman and a pleasure to work with.
I have been ordering from him for a couple of years now, and have ordered dozens of ties.
He is always super friendly, patient, and his ties are beautiful.

hobers.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vesses
David is a gentleman and a pleasure to work with.
I have been ordering from him for a couple of years now, and have ordered dozens of ties.
He is always super friendly, patient, and his ties are beautiful.

hobers.jpg

Nice ties,now,when are you going to put them up for sale?

vesses

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Nice ties,now,when are you going to put them up for sale?

ha, the only time i sell these is when im impatient to wait for a swatch, order impulsively and then realize i should have ordered a different color....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics