• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

panerai watch questions

web.boards

Reaction score
I like the look of Panerai watches.

1. In the $5k price range, what other watches might I look at with a similar style?

2 Would you consider these to be classic watches, by that, I mean that they have the characteristics that will make them remain stylish in the future?

Thanks.

watchsnob

Reaction score
Panerai's went out of style in the 90s.

In that price range, take a look at IWC, Ulysse Nardin or Zenith....or for just a little more, Jaeger LeCoultre, Breguet, Audemars Piguet,

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're cool. Get a simple black dial. Don't worry about them being out of fashion. They're having something of a resurgence with the whole massive watch explosion.

There's not that much similar. I'd say some of the new 45.5mm Omega POs (especially Liquid Metal) have a similar vibe but are considered more classic.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are homages of panerai out there with similar looks. why spend 5K on a wannabe? just get the real deal.

if you are asking whether the style of the watch will be trendy in a few years, nobody knows.

the base luminor is pretty classic to me. don't really like the 1950s cases as much.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get a gently used one for 1/2 MSRP or less from the original owner. Many come up for sale on a regular basis on timezone.com Wear it for a few years and sell it for what you paid if you get board with it.

Twotone

Jangofett

Reaction score
Er wasnt Panerai slammed for using cheap made in china parts? Or was that Breitling?
The fat big chunky watch look may not be in vogue for long. A classic look will have better longevity especially if you only intend to get one expensive timepiece.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Er wasnt Panerai slammed for using cheap made in china parts? Or was that Breitling?
The fat big chunky watch look may not be in vogue for long. A classic look will have better longevity especially if you only intend to get one expensive timepiece.

What he said!

Nothing classic about gaudy.

gwolf

Reaction score
don't own one but i'm okay with them. anonimo is similar. also oris aviation bc4. a lil bit.

*hides from paneristis*

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by web.boards
I like the look of Panerai watches.

1. In the $5k price range, what other watches might I look at with a similar style?

2 Would you consider these to be classic watches, by that, I mean that they have the characteristics that will make them remain stylish in the future?

Thanks.

If you like it, then buy it? who the cares what these **** think?

HoopzDreamz

Reaction score
I suggest a PAM 000 or a PAM 0005.

I see PAM as a "classic" weekend watch, not so much of a dress watch though.

web.boards

Reaction score
What about in the $2,500 price range? Can anyone recommend a watch that looks like these in this price range?

Thanks.

Winot

Reaction score
I like the Panerai look but not the size. Some models are 42m (Radiomir) or even 40mm (Luminor) but seem hard to come by, new (in London) or s/hand. I also want it to be manual wound. Any ideas?

Also, is there a single web source which displays model number, picture, size and movement (i.e. automatic or manual)?

17 Seconds

Reaction score
Buy a gently used Panerai from Timezone, etc. You can definitely get one in that price range. I picked up a great basic Luminor for around that. Also, +1 for buying something you want. You want a Panerai? Buy one. While I appreciate the fact that watchsnob has a spot-on name, he couldn't be farther from the truth about Panerai's.

Enjoy your new watch, whatever it is.

miurasv

Reaction score
They are very well made and robust watches and have a large following. They did not go out of style in the'90s. Quite the oppositte in fact. I do think they are over priced but hey ho. I would prefer a JLC if you want something different from a Rolex but I would just get a Rolex. I love them.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by web.boards
What about in the $2,500 price range? Can anyone recommend a watch that looks like these in this price range?

Thanks.

Anonimo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics