• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on penny loafers

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
so penny loafers and jeans are a go?
its a good look if done right. Im going to try and rock my RL Cordo Pennys with my slim fit RRL jeans. Only question now is whether or not I should wear a visible sock
Originally Posted by 997CTSurg
Just scored #8 unlined BB cordovan loafers for 25% off I like them. I'm not a loafer person.
nice.
cheers.gif

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Penny loafers are awesome.

I don't wear them with a suit, but I do wear them with both wool and cotton pants.

I have a sleek one in black which looks really good with formal wool and a more modern-interpretation of a trad penny loafer in whiskey for khakis and tapered trousers.

I don't wear loafers with Jeans. I think it looks wrong
lol8[1].gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about shorts? Anyone wear penny loafers with shorts?

Kevk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
What about shorts? Anyone wear penny loafers with shorts?

I have a pair of Alden for BB whiskey shell unlined penny loafers that I wear with khaki shorts and a nice polo shirt. The lighter color of whiskey and the unlined shell works well for summer wear without socks.

Purchased the same Alden loafers in tan and snuff suede to wear with shorts this year.
They look nicer than boat shoes but are just as comfortable.
Now just have to wait for summer.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevk
I have a pair of Alden for BB whiskey shell unlined penny loafers that I wear with khaki shorts and a nice polo shirt. The lighter color of whiskey and the unlined shell works well for summer wear without socks.

Purchased the same Alden loafers in tan and snuff suede to wear with shorts this year.
They look nicer than boat shoes but are just as comfortable.
Now just have to wait for summer.

Do you have a picture? Curious because I love the whiskey color but not sure what kind of loafer you are talking about and I need a pair of light brown loafers. I've been striking out!

Kevk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Do you have a picture? Curious because I love the whiskey color but not sure what kind of loafer you are talking about and I need a pair of light brown loafers. I've been striking out!

Sorry no pictures, will have to take a few. They are the LHS's (leisure hand sewn) unlined loafers that BB sells made by Alden. The whiskey shell ones were only avaliable from the Madison Ave. BB store.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want a pair of penny loafers just so I can go sock less with my casual outfits.
biggrin.gif

Any ideas on cheap new ones?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevk
Sorry no pictures, will have to take a few. They are the LHS's (leisure hand sewn) unlined loafers that BB sells made by Alden. The whiskey shell ones were only avaliable from the Madison Ave. BB store.

Thanks. I'm sure the Alden store has something similar.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently I own a black and dark brown pairs of 11 year old Sebago penny loafers and I wear them with anything but a suit. What I really want is an pair of #8 Cordovan Alden LHS loafers preferably 10.5 B and that is on the long term acquisition list.

OTTOKAR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HERCULES
So what are some good penny loafers? I thought about getting the Peal and Co. brown penny loafers during the 25% off sale but decided against it. I have also been thinking about Alden penny loafers.
J.M. Weston model 180!
Originally Posted by blazingazn
so penny loafers and jeans are a go?
I think so
BoxWeston.jpg

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I really want a pair of penny loafers just so I can go sock less with my casual outfits.
biggrin.gif

Any ideas on cheap new ones?

According to AAAF the Gilman model from Bass is a step above the Weejun. It was on deep discount last year at 70 bucks from like 120-130 but I imagine finding it around 100 or 90 isn't impossible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads