• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garrison Bespoke Toronto

wetnose

Reaction score
Looks like I misread your post....if it's non-entry level fabric then anything is possible. But why should it?

In any case, have you looked at other tailors in Toronto? Or perhaps Montreal?

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I looked around at a few others on the internet, but prices seemed to be much higher than my budget ($1000-$1500). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looch

Reaction score
I've posted about Garrison in the past and can't speak more highly about the guys or the product they produce. I can't account for this $6k over-the-phone quote- seems very strange. I got a killer 2-piece made by them in Scabal fabric recently and it has won them my business for life.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looch
I've posted about Garrison in the past and can't speak more highly about the guys or the product they produce. I can't account for this $6k over-the-phone quote- seems very strange. I got a killer 2-piece made by them in Scabal fabric recently and it has won them my business for life.

Out of curiosity, what did your Scabal 2 piece cost?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pics of finished product would go a long way.

Looch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
Out of curiosity, what did your Scabal 2 piece cost?

I was out the door, tax incl for about $2k. This is obviously not their least expensive fabric. They start closer to $1200-1300 I think.

I'll see if I can post a couple of pics of the suit sometime soon.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
That would be great, thanks.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looch
I was out the door, tax incl for about $2k. This is obviously not their least expensive fabric. They start closer to $1200-1300 I think.

I'll see if I can post a couple of pics of the suit sometime soon.

What is the process like? Are there multiple fittings or does the garment come back essentially complete?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that was an interesting experience.

Stopped by the shop last week and chatted with a sales staff quickly. They said they were busy and took my info and said they'd be in contact over the weekend. Never heard from them.

Sent two e-mails during the week. Never heard from them.

So I called them and the person on the phone started going through some questions about where I currently get my clothes, what style I like, making sure that I realize it's bespoke and not MTM etc.

He says he's booked up this weekend and starts looking at next week and then after all that says - "we're actually not taking on new clients now."

I asked when is a better time (thinking a few weeks) and he said wedding season is now so they're booked up and I can try back in the fall.

I dunno man. I honestly got the vibe that after talking to me they didn't want to "waste their time."

Too bad cause I was planning on doing a lot of work with them but wanted to start out with a few dress shirts to see how they are.

Pretty disappointing. I would've preferred they say straight up that they're only working with existing clients than be asked a series of questions to try and figure me out and then decide they don't want to take me on.

Guess the search for a Toronto bespoke tailor continues.

Not impressed.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
And that is precisely why I wanted to get more info over the phone rather than take a trip down there only to have the same experience you just had. I seems they gave you in person the runaround I got on the phone. Their loss.

Good luck to you in your search!

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that is precisely why I wanted to get more info over the phone rather than take a trip down there only to have the same experience you just had. I seems they gave you in person the runaround I got on the phone. Their loss.

Good luck to you in your search!

Thanks! You too. I'm gonna check out Trend Custom Tailors next. I'll give them a shout tomorrow.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes at Trend. I'm going to email Zeglio and see what comes of that.

wetnose

Reaction score
Currently getting a double breasted bespoke done at Xavier Custom Tailors. He's a one man show who relies purely on word of mouth. Bought my fabric off ebay and he's working on it now. Basted fitting pics to follow soon.

osc

Reaction score
I looked around at a few others on the internet, but prices seemed to be much higher than my budget ($1000-$1500). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been to Fifth on King (now known as Garrison), Trend Tailors and Spiro's. I've had suits made by the first two. Being at these three shops, each of them definitely has their niche market. IMO:
- Garrison is catered to more of the Corporate/Banker clientele who are looking for corporate "house" cuts. AFAIK, they have two different types of services at different pricepoints: 1) "Bespoke/custom service" that is outsourced locally in Toronto in which you receive a final fitting (usually) after a muslin jacket is created; and 2) a higher end "bespoke/custom service" in which you receive multiple fittings (including basted).
- Trend Tailors is catered to more of the artisanal crowd that knows what they want in terms of fit, cut and, more importantly, style. Knowing what style you want is very important as Trend can basically do anything you want to the garment whether it be something minor such as a different lapel width to extraordinary requests like different darting styles on a suit jacket - if you can think of it, they will make it. All garments created by Trend are Bespoke/Custom with basted fittings.
- Spiro's is catered more to the crowd (from my last visit couple years ago) that is looking for a cut that is not too slim (modern) but, at the same time, isn't off the rack. There are several reviews on this site that go into depth on what Spiro's bespoke/custom cut is like (and how he doesn't necessarily deviate from that cut).

As you've already spoken to Garrison, I'd recommend giving either Trend Tailors or Spiro's a call. If you use in-house bolts, I don't see why you can't get a 2pc within your budget.

Originally Posted by tricky
Thanks! You too. I'm gonna check out Trend Custom Tailors next. I'll give them a shout tomorrow.

I'd recommend calling them to scheduling a visit to their atelier. It is pretty impressive to see the different areas where your suit is constructed as it is done all in-house. Also, Trend is undergoing some major renovations that, when completed, will definitely on a whole new level above other shops/ateliers.

Originally Posted by wetnose
Currently getting a double breasted bespoke done at Xavier Custom Tailors. He's a one man show who relies purely on word of mouth. Bought my fabric off ebay and he's working on it now. Basted fitting pics to follow soon.

Would love to see basted pictures and the final product
smile.gif

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose

Would love to see pictures and hear about your experience with the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads