• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minneapolis / St. Paul Shopping?

Ike

Reaction score
Seconded, just picked up my first MTM suit from John 3 weeks ago. He was my dad's tailor, and also works for my uncles. I strongly recommend Top Shelf - he spent three hours with me the first time I went in talking, making sure all the details were right on my suit and my MTM shirt order. I like knowing there's someone accountable if I have any issues, as well - vs one of those online outfits.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, have any of you ever shopped at the Nordstrom Rack in Maple Grove? I'm curious if there selection is identical to the MOA or not

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ike
Seconded, just picked up my first MTM suit from John 3 weeks ago. He was my dad's tailor, and also works for my uncles. I strongly recommend Top Shelf - he spent three hours with me the first time I went in talking, making sure all the details were right on my suit and my MTM shirt order. I like knowing there's someone accountable if I have any issues, as well - vs one of those online outfits.

yep, John not only runs a great tailoring business/haberdashery but he's also a nice guy.

arirang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
by the way, have any of you ever shopped at the Nordstrom Rack in Maple Grove? I'm curious if there selection is identical to the MOA or not

The MOA location is equal to or maybe slightly better than Maple Grove, but in my experience they're generally the same. Basically the same stuff at both places.

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips on what to look for at Last Call? I've had some excellent luck at Off 5th, but I have never found anything worthwhile at LC.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arirang

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips on what to look for at Last Call? I've had some excellent luck at Off 5th, but I have never found anything worthwhile at LC.

i've never been to either store, so I can't help you there. I can't be bothered to drive downtown and find a parking spot. what's the selection like at Off 5th and LC? is it similar to Nordstrom Rack?

arirang

Reaction score
i've never been to either store, so I can't help you there. I can't be bothered to drive downtown and find a parking spot. what's the selection like at Off 5th and LC? is it similar to Nordstrom Rack?

Been years since I've been to LC so I can't help you there, but Off 5th is generally similar to Nordstrom Rack but ever-so-slightly higher end with seemingly less stuff made for the outlet (e.g. Nordstrom Rack branded shirts, etc.).

That said, Nordstrom Rack has much more inventory than Off 5th which gives you a lot to look through. I've had good luck finding various pairs of AE shoes and the like there for under $150, as well as a very nice black Canali suit for $600.

For a Canadian like me stuck with Harry Rosen and their prices, a visit to Nordstrom Rack is really something to get excited about! When I'm in town again next month, I will make a point of hitting up the LC too.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arirang

That said, Nordstrom Rack has much more inventory than Off 5th which gives you a lot to look through. I've had good luck finding various pairs of AE shoes and the like there for under $150, as well as a very nice black Canali suit for $600.

the only time I see Canali suits on sale at Nordstrom Rack is when they're trying to unload their 'big and tall' sizes. I don't think i've ever seen a 40R Canali suit. how do Canali suits fit?

arirang

Reaction score
the only time I see Canali suits on sale at Nordstrom Rack is when they're trying to unload their 'big and tall' sizes. I don't think i've ever seen a 40R Canali suit. how do Canali suits fit?

I'm a 42L and Canali (in my size, at least) has been a rare sight but they do appear from time to time. The quality is impressive although it is generally not quite as fitted as you might see with similar high-end labels. For someone fairly slim they could require sizing down, but as an average build I find it very comfortable. It came in at $600 which I thought was a steal for a suit like that.

All of this chatter is making me look forward to my next trip to MSP!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.martymathisclothiers.com/shop/

If you stop in, tell Marty I said hi.

Marty Mathis IS THE MAN. Where ELSE would you go? (Of course, you may need to start wearing dry flies instead of felt flowers, but WTF?)

What is the story with Marty Mathis? Does he have a B&M store or is it more like a showroom. From the web-site it looks like things are custom made. I will be in Minneapolis on business and may stop in to see what it's all about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads