1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Minneapolis / St. Paul Shopping?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deadly7, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I forgot to mention Hammer-Made! The owner used to work for Kuhlman, IIRC. Great guy - very friendly. I love their ties and pocket squares. Glad you found them.

Stopped by yesterday. Like their stuff, although probably not for me.

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Yup, always had excellent WAYWN pics too!

5. satchelbmoore

satchelbmoore Well-Known Member

i know this is late but if you're on style forum, and live in/are traveling to the twin cities. you owe yourself a visit to black blue in st. paul

www.blkblu.com

6. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Marty Mathis IS THE MAN. Where ELSE would you go? (Of course, you may need to start wearing dry flies instead of felt flowers, but WTF?)

7. MinnMD

MinnMD Active Member

Brooks Brothers and Allen Edmonds are side-by-side in the downtown skyway of Minneapolis. There's a slightly larger Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove.

Hubert White is in downtown Minneapolis. It's on the ground level and connected to the skyway.

Macy's in downtown Minneapolis has a small Ralph Lauren section.

Then there's the downstairs of Neiman Marcus in downtown Minneapolis.

Burberry is at Mall of America. Downstairs Nordstrom at Mall of America has shoes.

MinnMD

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Nicollet Mall is good and has nice bars and restaurants, as is Uptown (Hennepin Ave and Lake St.) for poking around, good food and access to the lakes. The Tin Fish is a great little place to eat on Lake Calhoun. Downtown St. Paul is pretty in parts, but quiet after 5pm. Selby Ave east of Dale in St Paul has some nice watering holes (Muddy Pig, Moscow on the Hill, Happy Gnome). Grand Ave in St Paul is also recommended for a day trip.

Ugh Uptown is too packed for me. Fun place to be though, if you like lots of activity [​IMG]

9. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Brooks Brothers and Allen Edmonds are side-by-side in the downtown skyway of Minneapolis. There's a slightly larger Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove.

Never knew there was a Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove...I'll have to check it out. I hate parking downtown so I rarely go to that Brooks store...

10. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Top Shelf Clothiers - 3040 Lyndale Avenue

this is where i've had my suits tailored. great shop.

11. Ike

Ike Senior member

Seconded, just picked up my first MTM suit from John 3 weeks ago. He was my dad's tailor, and also works for my uncles. I strongly recommend Top Shelf - he spent three hours with me the first time I went in talking, making sure all the details were right on my suit and my MTM shirt order. I like knowing there's someone accountable if I have any issues, as well - vs one of those online outfits.

12. gaseousclay

by the way, have any of you ever shopped at the Nordstrom Rack in Maple Grove? I'm curious if there selection is identical to the MOA or not

13. gaseousclay

Seconded, just picked up my first MTM suit from John 3 weeks ago. He was my dad's tailor, and also works for my uncles. I strongly recommend Top Shelf - he spent three hours with me the first time I went in talking, making sure all the details were right on my suit and my MTM shirt order. I like knowing there's someone accountable if I have any issues, as well - vs one of those online outfits.

yep, John not only runs a great tailoring business/haberdashery but he's also a nice guy.

14. arirang

arirang Well-Known Member

by the way, have any of you ever shopped at the Nordstrom Rack in Maple Grove? I'm curious if there selection is identical to the MOA or not

The MOA location is equal to or maybe slightly better than Maple Grove, but in my experience they're generally the same. Basically the same stuff at both places.

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips on what to look for at Last Call? I've had some excellent luck at Off 5th, but I have never found anything worthwhile at LC.

15. gaseousclay

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips on what to look for at Last Call? I've had some excellent luck at Off 5th, but I have never found anything worthwhile at LC.

i've never been to either store, so I can't help you there. I can't be bothered to drive downtown and find a parking spot. what's the selection like at Off 5th and LC? is it similar to Nordstrom Rack?

16. arirang

i've never been to either store, so I can't help you there. I can't be bothered to drive downtown and find a parking spot. what's the selection like at Off 5th and LC? is it similar to Nordstrom Rack?

Been years since I've been to LC so I can't help you there, but Off 5th is generally similar to Nordstrom Rack but ever-so-slightly higher end with seemingly less stuff made for the outlet (e.g. Nordstrom Rack branded shirts, etc.).

That said, Nordstrom Rack has much more inventory than Off 5th which gives you a lot to look through. I've had good luck finding various pairs of AE shoes and the like there for under $150, as well as a very nice black Canali suit for $600.

For a Canadian like me stuck with Harry Rosen and their prices, a visit to Nordstrom Rack is really something to get excited about! When I'm in town again next month, I will make a point of hitting up the LC too.

17. gaseousclay

That said, Nordstrom Rack has much more inventory than Off 5th which gives you a lot to look through. I've had good luck finding various pairs of AE shoes and the like there for under $150, as well as a very nice black Canali suit for $600.

the only time I see Canali suits on sale at Nordstrom Rack is when they're trying to unload their 'big and tall' sizes. I don't think i've ever seen a 40R Canali suit. how do Canali suits fit?

18. arirang

the only time I see Canali suits on sale at Nordstrom Rack is when they're trying to unload their 'big and tall' sizes. I don't think i've ever seen a 40R Canali suit. how do Canali suits fit?

I'm a 42L and Canali (in my size, at least) has been a rare sight but they do appear from time to time. The quality is impressive although it is generally not quite as fitted as you might see with similar high-end labels. For someone fairly slim they could require sizing down, but as an average build I find it very comfortable. It came in at $600 which I thought was a steal for a suit like that.

All of this chatter is making me look forward to my next trip to MSP!

19. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

What is the story with Marty Mathis? Does he have a B&M store or is it more like a showroom. From the web-site it looks like things are custom made. I will be in Minneapolis on business and may stop in to see what it's all about.