Minneapolis / St. Paul Shopping?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deadly7, Aug 15, 2010.

1. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

i miss Minneapolis ... great city to live in from May to October!

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Well, I went to just about all of the places mentioned above. Nicollet Mall certainly was a great area, I'm going to have to go back before I leave. I also found what I would consider to be a 'local gem'. http://www.hammer-made.com/ The store "Hammer-Made", if you can fit into their sizes, has amazingly soft Egyptian cotton (in the 'true' sense of the word, not the "oh just a generic cotton from Egypt" way) shirts. They also offer a MTM option. Unfortunately they didn't have my size, but the owner was extremely nice and I even met their designer there. I'd definitely recommend them as a local shop -- I liked their shirts more than some of the RLBL shirts I've encountered. One disclosure: since I didn't find my size, I can't attest to their longevity. Edit: and right next door there was a store called "Twill by Scott Dayton" that sold some staples (e.g. Talbott ties). I wasn't sure which line the products were, though, so I was a bit wary to shell out that much money.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Well, I went to just about all of the places mentioned above. Nicollet Mall certainly was a great area, I'm going to have to go back before I leave.

I also found what I would consider to be a 'local gem'. http://www.hammer-made.com/ The store "Hammer-Made", if you can fit into their sizes, has amazingly soft Egyptian cotton (in the 'true' sense of the word, not the "oh just a generic cotton from Egypt" way) shirts. They also offer a MTM option. Unfortunately they didn't have my size, but the owner was extremely nice and I even met their designer there. I'd definitely recommend them as a local shop -- I liked their shirts more than some of the RLBL shirts I've encountered. One disclosure: since I didn't find my size, I can't attest to their longevity.

Edit: and right next door there was a store called "Twill by Scott Dayton" that sold some staples (e.g. Talbott ties). I wasn't sure which line the products were, though, so I was a bit wary to shell out that much money.

I forgot to mention Hammer-Made! The owner used to work for Kuhlman, IIRC. Great guy - very friendly. I love their ties and pocket squares. Glad you found them.

4. max b

max b Senior member

Top Shelf Clothiers - 3040 Lyndale Avenue

5. VictorJB

VictorJB Well-Known Member

Mall of America, the biggest mall in the country.

6. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I forgot to mention Hammer-Made! The owner used to work for Kuhlman, IIRC. Great guy - very friendly. I love their ties and pocket squares. Glad you found them.

Stopped by yesterday. Like their stuff, although probably not for me.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Yup, always had excellent WAYWN pics too!

10. satchelbmoore

satchelbmoore Well-Known Member

i know this is late but if you're on style forum, and live in/are traveling to the twin cities. you owe yourself a visit to black blue in st. paul

www.blkblu.com

11. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Marty Mathis IS THE MAN. Where ELSE would you go? (Of course, you may need to start wearing dry flies instead of felt flowers, but WTF?)

12. MinnMD

MinnMD Active Member

Brooks Brothers and Allen Edmonds are side-by-side in the downtown skyway of Minneapolis. There's a slightly larger Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove.

Hubert White is in downtown Minneapolis. It's on the ground level and connected to the skyway.

Macy's in downtown Minneapolis has a small Ralph Lauren section.

Then there's the downstairs of Neiman Marcus in downtown Minneapolis.

Burberry is at Mall of America. Downstairs Nordstrom at Mall of America has shoes.

MinnMD

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Nicollet Mall is good and has nice bars and restaurants, as is Uptown (Hennepin Ave and Lake St.) for poking around, good food and access to the lakes. The Tin Fish is a great little place to eat on Lake Calhoun. Downtown St. Paul is pretty in parts, but quiet after 5pm. Selby Ave east of Dale in St Paul has some nice watering holes (Muddy Pig, Moscow on the Hill, Happy Gnome). Grand Ave in St Paul is also recommended for a day trip.

Ugh Uptown is too packed for me. Fun place to be though, if you like lots of activity [​IMG]

14. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Brooks Brothers and Allen Edmonds are side-by-side in the downtown skyway of Minneapolis. There's a slightly larger Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove.

Never knew there was a Brooks Brothers in Maple Grove...I'll have to check it out. I hate parking downtown so I rarely go to that Brooks store...

15. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Top Shelf Clothiers - 3040 Lyndale Avenue

this is where i've had my suits tailored. great shop.