• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Amateur Soccer Observations

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Man, you guys are making me want to pick up the game.

FWIW, our XC student came from Iceland and was used to a more physical game, it took him a few penalties and yellow cards before he adjusted to the 'sissy' way we play it.

You really should. It's a great way to stay in shape and a lot easier to pick up than, say, basketball or tennis. Brush up on your Spanish though.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
I've been playing soccer for 15 years now (I'm 22). My favorite sport to love (although not to watch).

I hate the flop artist and I agree with you on certain ethnicities being prone to flopping.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
The only 'adult league' I've ever been a part of was seriously awesome. It was at least 90% hispanic (I played on the El Salvadorian team haha [I'm white]) and many teams had a massive age range, from 50 to 15

This is the case in most of the games I play. Be it in Las Vegas or even up at school. It's kind of crazy to find decent white players that don't think it's a sprint meet - kick the ball upfield and chase it. In my experience whites tend to pass the ball only upfield, rather than knock it around and use positioning to their advantage. It results in quick turnovers and a lot of racing up and down.

Then you have the soccer equivalent of "bros" - the ones who think they're Ronaldinho at his prime, trying to run through six or seven and then becoming despondent and frustrated when they inevitably lose the ball trying to do knee-juggles past a wall of defense. These are usually Latins with a chip on their shoulder.

My favorite guy to play with is actually a Korean studying here. He understands the pace of the game and how to shift play across the field, rather than the ball bouncing up and down a single sideline. Plus he's not afraid to put his foot through yours.

I think overall though, I prefer play with Latins than Whites because of the skill needed as opposed to pure physical prowess.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
This is the case in most of the games I play. Be it in Las Vegas or even up at school. It's kind of crazy to find decent white players that don't think it's a sprint meet - kick the ball upfield and chase it. In my experience whites tend to pass the ball only upfield, rather than knock it around and use positioning to their advantage. It results in quick turnovers and a lot of racing up and down.

Then you have the soccer equivalent of "bros" - the ones who think they're Ronaldinho at his prime, trying to run through six or seven and then becoming despondent and frustrated when they inevitably lose the ball trying to do knee-juggles past a wall of defense. These are usually Latins with a chip on their shoulder.

My favorite guy to play with is actually a Korean studying here. He understands the pace of the game and how to shift play across the field, rather than the ball bouncing up and down a single sideline. Plus he's not afraid to put his foot through yours.

I think overall though, I prefer play with Latins than Whites because of the skill needed as opposed to pure physical prowess.

Just for reference I'm white. I see the opposite though. Alot of players around here try for perfect goals like they see on TV. They play with the ball way to much and try moves that they can't handle. The players who I see commit this the most are other ethnicities...mexicans especially. I think we have alot of soccer "bros" around me
laugh.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino

What you're observing is simply a product of low-skilled play. I guess it's just our different perspectives but from mine, my latest competitive play was college club but I was with ODP for 5 years, there is basically no difference in how races play, at least none worth talking about. Coaches on the other hand...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
The Beautiful Game!

*BTW, tackled = "checked"

So....where's the line? I'm not splitting hairs, I just want to understand better. Does "tackle" mean a bump where the guy falls down or does it just mean any bump/check meant to impede the progress of the other guy?

BTW - Obviously, I take back all the bad things I said about soccer, Roma.
worship.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you've played it some, does it make watching any better/worse?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
So....where's the line? I'm not splitting hairs, I just want to understand better. Does "tackle" mean a bump where the guy falls down or does it just mean any bump/check meant to impede the progress of the other guy?

BTW - Obviously, I take back all the bad things I said about soccer, Roma.
worship.gif

well, a tackle is an attempt to dispossess (i.e. other guy has the ball) - he can fall down or not. bumping into opposing player as you both are going for the ball is not a tackle (but it's not a 'check' either) - i think shoulder charge? or the highly technical but underutilized phrase "bumping into the other guy"...

'check' is for hockey or chess

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
Now that you've played it some, does it make watching any better/worse?

I would think it would be better, but I really don't watch any sports aside from FSU football games. FFS, I haven't seen the Super Bowl in three years. I just play a lot of sports (last month was in three basketball leagues and two soccer leagues).

Watching it on the field is a lot more fun now. My coed team is awful. Only three people on it had ever played soccer before January. Given that the ball is on our side for 80% of the game, I've gotten to watch a lot of teams' offenses. And a well-run offense by a team that's played together a lot is a beautiful thing. I love when three or four people are cutting at once, it's amazing, the chemistry of it.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
It is a completely different mindset. Yesterday it was well over 90 degrees here and not a scrap of shade. People were faking injuries left and right to get subbed out. I guess the incentives favor doing that. I find flopping has begun to spread to basketball as well.
I got into an actual fight in my last soccer match after I called this hispanic guy a puta after he dove like he was shot by a sniper when I barely brushed his shoulder.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious, what type of footballs do you use? Has anyone handled the Jabulani?

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It feels great and has an incredible touch, even better than the previous FIFA balls imo. It does, however, go a bit wild on free kicks for some people. Apparently it's ultra-round, or something, so it dips and moves around when you kick it with no spin. Every ball will do it but the Jubalani does it more extreme because of the ultra-roundness. There really is no difference between the Jubulani and any other premium ball except for when you kick it with no spin, and that is minimal.

Personally, I think an older Brine ball ($50-90) is the way to go if you're on a budget

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I'm curious, what type of footballs do you use? Has anyone handled the Jabulani?

I was able to play with a real Jabulani once. I think I psyched myself out more because I knew it was the real deal, what with all the micro-grooves and whatnot. But it did seem to fly further and behave a little better in passing. Touch was a bit easier, I think.

Normally we play with a step down from those hi-end nike/adidas balls. The Match Replicas that still are decent, but aren't $150 a pop.

Chucks29

Reaction score
the basic idea of defending is stay on your feet, check the players you are marking stride for stride and nick the ball away. Most basic idea is to push him wide and to his weaker feet. Been playing this game since i was a teen but too bad , my knees aren't that good anymore

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads