• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptop suggestions for a developer

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
Macbook Pro with Bootcamp
Bootcamp is the biggest ************* ever. If you want to run Windows for any extended period of time you should just get a Windows system.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a MBP, I have a 15" and its great.
SSD is a great option for speed when accessing the Disk Drive.

Everything you need to do will work on OS X.

I'm not sure about coding but I have a feeling most coding should be able to be learned and tested on Mac. If not fire up Parallels or Bootcamp and use that.

I would not pay over 2000 for a Mac though, you can easily get a 15" refurb for 1400-1500 with the i5 Processor. The new 13"ers are nice but the speakers, resolution/display , and graphics are big trade-offs vs the 15".

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
Get a MBP, I have a 15" and its great.
SSD is a great option for speed when accessing the Disk Drive.

Everything you need to do will work on OS X.

I'm not sure about coding but I have a feeling most coding should be able to be learned and tested on Mac. If not fire up Parallels or Bootcamp and use that.

I would not pay over 2000 for a Mac though, you can easily get a 15" refurb for 1400-1500 with the i5 Processor. The new 13"ers are nice but the speakers, resolution/display , and graphics are big trade-offs vs the 15".

laugh.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
still i get no suggestions for a windows based laptop.... sigh
You're not even reading my posts, are you? Just in case you actually read this one - the Lenovo W520 came out today. i7 + Nvidia graphics = Win for you.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You're not even reading my posts, are you?

Just in case you actually read this one - the Lenovo W520 came out today. i7 + Nvidia graphics = Win for you.

i am, you suggested a Dell earlier, my comment was aimed at all

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif

bounce2.gif

Honestly I think the OP should just get a Dell or Alienware M11x.
Good Prices for decent build quality.

Do not buy Apple.

(I will continue to buy Apple despite my suggestion, but you should not, no one else should either)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP your welcome to donate your current MBP ro this broke college student.
smile.gif

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
I had/have the same problem. Right now here is what I am using till I find something else.

MBP with Windows 7 and Parallels. Works pretty well outside of it getting a little hot. I have a 17" unibody which is about 2 years old. Think I am going to upgrade to the newer MBP with an I chip.

I have only run into some minor issues like Database manipulation issues and BS like I can print from my MAC but when I go into outlook or CRM and try to print out an excel file it will not allow me to. Applied drivers and updates, still wont work. Real odd.

I keep both a Lenovo and my Mac with me at all times though. I just have not found one Windows machine that is as solid feeling as my Mac does.

At home I use the same set up with 2-30" screens but instead I boot up of a different drive and it's literally like I am using a Windows machine, no parallels or bootcamp.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
bounce2.gif
Honestly I think the OP should just get a Dell or Alienware M11x. Good Prices for decent build quality.

In the past I've thought Alienware was kind of overpriced like Apple. However the M11x looks like a seriously nice laptop for the money. That machine running Linux Mint would be perfect for me.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
this OP has nothing but love for MBP, as stated earlier, i need a windows based machine to develop on, i personally love mac,

Exactly, for that reason you should want me to enjoy the love you have with mac and donate yours to me lol

I am getting the MBP 15 inch once they bring around the free itouch, and printer deal this summer.

qhall

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts. I am a IT professional and work in Enterprise infastructure data center systems, and have learned a few lessons over the years.

Windows laptops come in 2 varieties, Bussiness/Enterprise grade and Home/consumer grade. Almost every vendor offers windows laptops in both categories. A quick summary of a few common vendors; Sony is in general targeted at home with limited Bussiness offerings, HP and Dell do both. Acer is in general a discount vendor etc. I in general prefer HP hardware over Dell. Dell started to compete on price a few years back and quality has suffered.

The real question is what price point can you live with? If you want a solid windows platform for work, i strongly sugest buying a bussiness grade HP. Look at there ProBook and EliteBook lines. I run a 12 month old EliteBook 8540w and it is comparable to a top end desktop workstation and has a 3 years waranty. I run AutoCad, VMWare with 3 plus Virtual machines at times and play every video game i want all on a 15" notebook....

Apples offerings are firmly targeted at the home user but they often use bussiness grade parts in them. This is part of why they have a much higher price point than Windows laptops aimed at home users. You do get what you pay for. I always laugh to myself when i hear some one claim their new Mac is 1000 times better than the windows laptop they had. When they spend 2000$ on the mac and had spent 300$ on the windows platform. You can get a windows machine that will slaughter the mac for less money than the Mac, but for some reason every one buys plastic chassied bottom end hardware on clearance at best buy and cant figure out why they break in 12-18 months.

Its like shoes, There is a reason Allen edmonds sell for 300$ a pair and mall store shoes sell for 69$.

If you have a specific price point I can make a few suggestions, Just keep in mind to get business grade gear you are ordering online. Bestbuy just doesnt stock or deal in it.....

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BMP. ha. Sorry.

anyway, the only machine I've found even close to the quality of my macs is IBM. Dells are getting better again, though, and are available at an attractive price point. Maybe Dell is the way to go, because this would be a beater machine. Stay away from the Acers of the world, although I don't need to tell you that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads