• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Now wait, I missed this! If it shoots low with the sight "bottomed out," why don't you just crank up the rear sight?

Whoops, typo! I meant it hits high with the sights bottomed out. I'm having to hold 2-3" low. Thus the lighter bullet. I've read that these 1955's were originally meant for 185 grain bullets, plus mine has a non-original (and from the looks of it, lower) front blade.

The #453 sounds interesting, I love full wadcutters. However I don't have a lubrisizer yet, so I have been sticking with Lee tumble lube molds. The bullets seem to be more accurate than I can hold at this point.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciating the Gander Mountain I found near me. This store is HUGE, much larger than I imagined with walls and walls of firearms. According to her I was "like a kid in a candy store", but I honestly didn't see much that caught my eye. They did have quite a few .300 win mags (and other large calibers) which isn't something you see at a lot of smaller shops. I have no idea why I was looking at these turkey guns...

199258_590368430334_56304555_33549158_2988622_n.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are many of you gunboys taking note of the fact that tomorrow, March 29, marks the centennial of the adoption of the United States Government Model of 1911 .45 auto pistol? I thought I'd go and shoot a couple of my Government Models by way of celebration.

Curiously, since I own a passel of 1911s in the broad sense and have test-fired many more in the course of my work, I have never actually popped a cap with a true 1911 Government Model (the WWI pistol) in the course of my long shooting career.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A friend showed me his new M76 on the weekend. Century M76s are going for $1K with ZRAK scope, while he opted for an Assault Weapons of Ohio (the folks who bought-out ORF) build.

I couldn't join him on the range trip yesterday, but it sounded disappointing. Several hundred rounds and still no tight groups. Sounds to me like a loose side-mount.

P1000977.jpg

P1000983.jpg

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Are many of you gunboys taking note of the fact that tomorrow, March 29, marks the centennial of the adoption of the United States Government Model of 1911 .45 auto pistol? I thought I'd go and shoot a couple of my Government Models by way of celebration.

Curiously, since I own a passel of 1911s in the broad sense and have test-fired many more in the course of my work, I have never actually popped a cap with a true 1911 Government Model (the WWI pistol) in the course of my long shooting career.

Here's to 100 years of perfection.
Phone260.jpg

Phone005.jpg

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up my Nighthawk Talon II 9mm yesterday - one too early, I suppose.

Amazing pistol, hopefully I can get pictures tonight.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10-8 long trigger, 10-8 rear sight, front tritium sight with white outline
added VZ grips, hated the smooth wood Nighthawk grips

only disappointment was that they wouldn't give it a high-cut front strap, even for a fee, as their frames don't come that way - other gunsmiths will do that to stock Colt and Springfield frames, why can't Nighthawk?

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
10-8 long trigger, 10-8 rear sight, front tritium sight with white outline
added VZ grips, hated the smooth wood Nighthawk grips

only disappointment was that they wouldn't give it a high-cut front strap, even for a fee, as their frames don't come that way - other gunsmiths will do that to stock Colt and Springfield frames, why can't Nighthawk?

I wouldn't sweat it. That's a fine piece from a great builder. If it makes you feel any better, Nighthawk does the prettiest blending of the bevel above the mag release into the upper frame (below slide stop). Never understood why JMB didn't do it.

One word of caution- I would lock tight the screw that secures the mag funnel to the main spring housing if it hasn't been already.

And what style of VZ's are those? I'm regretting my Aliens and may go back to wood or linen micarta. It's like carrying 32 grit sandpaper in my waistband.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a big deal, just a minor preference. If I order a .45 from them, I'll probably go Enforcer to get that treatment. But I'm still debating Wilson CQB, Brown Special Forces or the Enforcer. Need to get prices from the guy I ordered this one through (migunslingers.com).

The VZs are: http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pi...ctical-carry-2
I also got a pair of the Frag Grips (http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pi...1/frag-grips-1) which feel like they'd be better for carry but still grippy, but I neglected to order slim bushings to go with them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. The stamp for an 8 inch barreled O/U 20 Ga. shotgun pistol or one of them silenced Saiga shotguns from Red Jacket is 200 bucks correct?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
in my bedside table I have a Herstal FNP-9. Bedroom closet carries a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Hall closet-my baby, Mark VII Desert Eagle .44. Locked up and well hidden, of course. I also have an old semi-auto Remington hunting rifle that I haven't shot since I was a teenager. Don't know the model.

And yet, I vote Democrat.

I've since added a Ruger sp 101 to this collection. Scary looking gun. Not quite as scary looking as the Mossberg but I'm pretty sure that if I ever have to point it at someone I probably won't have to fire it.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So let me get this straight. The stamp for an 8 inch barreled O/U 20 Ga. shotgun pistol or one of them silenced Saiga shotguns from Red Jacket is 200 bucks correct?
NFA stamps for SBRs, SBSs, suppressors or full-auto are $200 NFA stamps for AOWs (which is what the shotgun pistol would be - w/ stock SBS, no-stock AOW) are $5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads