• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you watched the bourdain show, he did it stove top only. The heat was much lower than you would use to do 6 min to crisp then put in the oven.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i certainly hope she has some redeeming features in other parts of her life. that's a lot to overcome.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Sigh. Plenty of redeeming features, but I think her food taste is pretty "American." She likes a good steak, not too rare. Roast chicken. Tilapia (
frown.gif
)because it tastes like what you put on it. She loves anything Italian, partially due to familial and ethnic pride I believe. She's not a fan of strong fish or deep meaty flavors.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i honestly don't understand how someone can not like duck. it's not like it's some kind of radical flavor ... like uni or something. and it's not like it's a weird texture, like okra. it's not like it's a dish people have a lot of history with (my late father-in-law refused to eat lamb because he'd been stationed in England during WWII and had lived for a couple of years on boiled mutton). it's just a kind of beefier poultry.

+1

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School me on Posole. I've had some at a few hole-in-the-wall spots in Cali and elsewhere and always liked it. Noticed an article & recipe in the latest Enquirer...

Clues to great "classic posole" recipes welcome.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I were to name my favorite meats, duck would probably not make the last. Not offensive, I just don't love it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are different posoles ... mexican style is usually a relatively thin pork broth with hominy and chunks of pork with condiments (dried oregano, chile flakes, lime, slivered cabbage) on the side. I make New Mexican posole, which is closer to a stew. more chile, particularly. we do a christmas open house every year for 80 to 100 and i make posole for that. it seems even better made in large quantities.
it's a pretty simple dish: make pork chile colorado (chunks of pork butt and a couple pigs feet and assorted bony cuts (necks, etc). simmered in red chile. next day degrease and add (gasp) canned hominy. i used scratch hominy for about 15 years until i realized i couldn't really tell the difference, despite the 4-5 hours required cooking. if i was back in new mexico and able to procure good frozen nixtamal, i'd probably do it that way.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
If I were to name my favorite meats, duck would probably not make the last. Not offensive, I just don't love it.

Duck is easily my favorite poultry.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
really? that hasn't been my experience. could be the difference between cooking for 4-6 and cooking for 25. i find that with thick pieces of meat (such as a 1-pound duck breast), a sear on top followed by a short time in the oven cooks the meat through more evenly.
I'd rather just sous vide. There are now some chefs that sous vide most of their proteins... it's so easy, gives consistent results... then you can just torch it or sear very hot. Unless I'm working with a great oven, it's just not as predictable. I also tend to baste my proteins. I prefer to nurse what I'm cooking, or I'll just sous vide, like I said before.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Sigh. Plenty of redeeming features, but I think her food taste is pretty "American." She likes a good steak, not too rare. Roast chicken. Tilapia (
frown.gif
)because it tastes like what you put on it. She loves anything Italian, partially due to familial and ethnic pride I believe. She's not a fan of strong fish or deep meaty flavors.

Umm, real italian or "italian?" I call bullshit, because she definitely cannot like most southern italian food with its fish, and if she can't eat duck then wtf?? No oxtail or any of other "deep meaty flavors" that one finds in italian cooking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads