Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

If you watched the bourdain show, he did it stove top only. The heat was much lower than you would use to do 6 min to crisp then put in the oven.

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

She doesn't like dark meat on chicken either.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i certainly hope she has some redeeming features in other parts of her life. that's a lot to overcome.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Sigh. Plenty of redeeming features, but I think her food taste is pretty "American." She likes a good steak, not too rare. Roast chicken. Tilapia ([​IMG])because it tastes like what you put on it. She loves anything Italian, partially due to familial and ethnic pride I believe. She's not a fan of strong fish or deep meaty flavors.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

She doesn't like dark meat on chicken either.

been there, maxwell. [​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

i honestly don't understand how someone can not like duck. it's not like it's some kind of radical flavor ... like uni or something. and it's not like it's a weird texture, like okra. it's not like it's a dish people have a lot of history with (my late father-in-law refused to eat lamb because he'd been stationed in England during WWII and had lived for a couple of years on boiled mutton). it's just a kind of beefier poultry.

+1

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

School me on Posole. I've had some at a few hole-in-the-wall spots in Cali and elsewhere and always liked it. Noticed an article & recipe in the latest Enquirer...

Clues to great "classic posole" recipes welcome.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

If I were to name my favorite meats, duck would probably not make the last. Not offensive, I just don't love it.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    there are different posoles ... mexican style is usually a relatively thin pork broth with hominy and chunks of pork with condiments (dried oregano, chile flakes, lime, slivered cabbage) on the side. I make New Mexican posole, which is closer to a stew. more chile, particularly. we do a christmas open house every year for 80 to 100 and i make posole for that. it seems even better made in large quantities.
    it's a pretty simple dish: make pork chile colorado (chunks of pork butt and a couple pigs feet and assorted bony cuts (necks, etc). simmered in red chile. next day degrease and add (gasp) canned hominy. i used scratch hominy for about 15 years until i realized i couldn't really tell the difference, despite the 4-5 hours required cooking. if i was back in new mexico and able to procure good frozen nixtamal, i'd probably do it that way.

10. Piobaire

If I were to name my favorite meats, duck would probably not make the last. Not offensive, I just don't love it.

Duck is easily my favorite poultry.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Duck is easily my favorite poultry.

squab!!!!

12. Piobaire

squab!!!!

Why u call me that?

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

squab!!!!

That's racist dude

14. SField

SField Senior member

really? that hasn't been my experience. could be the difference between cooking for 4-6 and cooking for 25. i find that with thick pieces of meat (such as a 1-pound duck breast), a sear on top followed by a short time in the oven cooks the meat through more evenly.
    I'd rather just sous vide. There are now some chefs that sous vide most of their proteins... it's so easy, gives consistent results... then you can just torch it or sear very hot. Unless I'm working with a great oven, it's just not as predictable. I also tend to baste my proteins. I prefer to nurse what I'm cooking, or I'll just sous vide, like I said before.

15. SField

SField Senior member

Sigh. Plenty of redeeming features, but I think her food taste is pretty "American." She likes a good steak, not too rare. Roast chicken. Tilapia ([​IMG])because it tastes like what you put on it. She loves anything Italian, partially due to familial and ethnic pride I believe. She's not a fan of strong fish or deep meaty flavors.
    Umm, real italian or "italian?" I call bullshit, because she definitely cannot like most southern italian food with its fish, and if she can't eat duck then wtf?? No oxtail or any of other "deep meaty flavors" that one finds in italian cooking.