• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did I do on my interview?

Edify Inc

Reaction score
I had a first round interview today with an international fashion label. I dressed well, showed up 20mins before my scheduled time, had everything they requested, prepared and filed.

The interview starts off well with the expected questions, and I think I managed to answer confidently. The interview lasted for 35mins. It ended with the interviewer telling me that he is impressed with my portfolio and work, twice, and again before we shook hands and I left. He gave me a time frame of 3 weeks to hear from them for the second round of interviews. I have already sent a thank you email to all concerned.

However, he did not ask a few things I expected and this has led me to wonder if I failed the interview..

1. He did not ask how many long of a notice I needed for my current employer.

2. He only asked me once, at the end of the interview, that was my expected compensation as stated on my resume.

Am I overthinking my performance? Based on my account of what transpired, how well do you think I did?

All input are greatly appreciated!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into not getting asked about start dates. Usually you won't be asked that question until after you get an offer, anyhow -- especially since they seem to be on a fairly leisurely timeline between rounds.

I've never been asked during a first-round interview when I could start -- unless there were unusual circumstances afoot, such as a company that made it clear it needed someone within the immediate four weeks, or something.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edify, Inc
I1. He did not ask how many long of a notice I needed for my current employer.
I've never been asked this
2. He only asked me once, at the end of the interview, that was my expected compensation as stated on my resume.
Why would he ask more than once? This is normal and not even that common

Am I overthinking my performance? Based on my account of what transpired, how well do you think I did?

All input are greatly appreciated!

See my responses in bold. It sounds like you did fine. In my experience successful interviews take about an hour - half for them to tell you about the job and ask questions, half for you to ask them questions. Chill out and wait the three weeks. Nothing for you to do now since you sent the thank you emails.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience, you can never guess with interviews. Just relax and move on.

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Thank you fellas! I guess its just the normal first round interview jitters. Like mafoofan said, we never do know, right?

All I know is I prepared to the best of my ability. Now its a waiting game. Will report back if/when I hear from them!

That aside, those websites that says "10 signs your interview went bad" sure didn't do anything for my nerves!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope you didn't do this.

c1Uky.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
In my experience, you can never guess with interviews. Just relax and move on.

I agree for the most part. The exception is when the interview obviously goes badly. If you have ever bombed an interview for whatever reason, you usually know you won't be invited back.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I agree for the most part. The exception is when the interview obviously goes badly. If you have ever bombed an interview for whatever reason, you usually know you won't be invited back.

I've had interviews that I truly felt went this way, only to get an offer. The interviewer's personality, his seniority, his interviewing approach, where you are in the interviewing process, etc., can all make a huge difference.

gungadin25

Reaction score
Sounds like you did great -- I'm not familiar with the field, but 3 weeks to hear about a callback seems a bit long.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've had interviews that I truly felt went this way, only to get an offer. The interviewer's personality, his seniority, his interviewing approach, where you are in the interviewing process, etc., can all make a huge difference.

That's fair. I guess I have always felt my gut reaction on these things is usually right. When I have felt it went bad, it won't work out. Now feelings that it went great often lead to mixed results.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
Sounds like you did great -- I'm not familiar with the field, but 3 weeks to hear about a callback seems a bit long.

It sounded you did great.

Depending on how many people they have to interview and get their lists together it (3 weeks) maybe very reasonable

veneto

Reaction score
There are interviews where the interviewer communicates total lack of interest. You know the result.

There are interviews where the interviewer essentially tells you that you made the cut. You know the result.

For everything in between, just relax and hope.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veneto
There are interviews where the interviewer communicates total lack of interest. You know the result.

There are interviews where the interviewer essentially tells you that you made the cut. You know the result.

For everything in between, just relax and hope.

+1

there's just so many factors. you may have done a great interview, but then sometimes there's just someone who is a little more qualified. Kinda makes it impossible to know what went wrong.

*rant*
I find the first interview and fit-based questions most difficult personally. Technical questions are much easier as there's a black and white answer. Plus first round interviews are usually with HR or a recruiter. They have no knowledge of the job or what it entails yet they control who continues to the next step in the interview and who doesn't. It would make me cringe to think the number of qualified candidates and high potential candidates screened out cause they thought they wouldn't be a good fit for the position.

Before I look too much like some unemployed bitter person pounding away at a keyboard I shall end this rant.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25

It took me about 4 months to hear back from the company that I currently work for.

Do you really put your expected compensation on your resume?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members