• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really have to go and check out what Flower Drum is all about some day. I am quite hesitant to step into places like that as I consider going to Chinese restaurants a more of a family affair (since I am Chinese) and tend to prefer a more casual, noisier atmosphere. I can also get quite unnerved by having so many waitstaff standing over my shoulders.

Foodwise, would you consider it as authentic or more catering to more western tastes?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I really have to go and check out what Flower Drum is all about some day. I am quite hesitant to step into places like that as I consider going to Chinese restaurants a more of a family affair (since I am Chinese) and tend to prefer a more casual, noisier atmosphere. I can also get quite unnerved by having so many waitstaff standing over my shoulders.

Foodwise, would you consider it as authentic or more catering to more western tastes?

I think you'll be more unnerved by the bill.

I haven't been there. But I know plenty who have.

I'm informed that an upmarket dining experience primarily with the added bonus that the food and service is good.

My mate who lived in HK for a few years says its like an upmarket HK place with an Australian setting /ambience.

It also attracts those who want to appear sophisticated - it was Judy Moran's favourite after all.

Me I duck (small pun) around the corner to Supper Inn. I also like the Post Mao Cafe for a few interesting dishes. Box Hills the best hunting ground or Doncaster for Yum Cha.

The Peking Duck guy from Fitzroy has shifted out to Middleborough Road Burwood/Box Hill South -Simon's Peking Duck Chinese Restaurant - I'm told he's the best and most fun in Melbourne I haven't tried him yet.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Theres not many truely independent ones around - its a scandal in the superannuation etc area.

Without getting too many personal details - tell us what you are after.

There a few people here with financial experience - it depends what you are after.

If its just buying a house or car or saving or super or borrowing - or dealing with credit cards - the advice is pretty simple and generic - despite what the publicity might have you believe.

I was talking last night with a switched on old mate who has made a comfortable life from a variety of pursuits but principally renovating and selling the family home and (now) one they have in Italy. He commented on a friend who had been given financial advice by some accredited 23 year old who promptly cost then AUD300K! I must say I was surprised when my accountant (cluey) told me one day "I can't give you any advice by law as I am not an accredted financial advisor" - though I have mates whose accountants do give them tips.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does any one have any recent experience with Aquila shoes http://www.aquila.com.au/online-shop...hoes/yale.html I had a couple of pairs of dress boots of their's made in Italy in the 80's which were very good. Basically I am looking for a suede shoe sadly Herrings don't have one in my width the last time I looked and I thought the above might be a reasonable alternative. Will have time to actually try them on this Saturday. Any comments would be appreciated gentlemen, thanks

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the Aquila shoes have briefly caught my eye in the shop window, but I've written them off quality-wise based on past experience... and the fact I can get a solid English alternative for about the same price these days.

Just checked your link - that shoe in a light blue was actually the one that caught my eye.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
A bit of everything really. I've come into a bit of cash recently, and bar dumping it all into a high interest savings account I've made no real plans for it.

I suppose mortgage-related advice is what I'm after as that's on the priority list (beyond paying for my upcoming nuptials) so someone independent (and I realise that's a bit of a contradiction) would be on the agenda.

Searching for 'independent mortage advisor' on google isn't gonna do it I'm afriad, so if anyone has a reputable F.A. they know feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Ryan, a quick distinction here is that mortgage advisers/brokers are different to financial planners and subject to different rules and regulations.

If your looking for a financial planner the key is to ask a lot of questions. Don't hesitate to ask them about the number of years experience as a planner, the qualifications they have (should be diploma of financial planning modules 1 to 8 minimum) and even ask them for references. Don't settle on the first planner you come across but try and meet with at least 2 or 3 different ones.

Here is a link to some additional things to take into consideration.

I work in the industry and know the space very well so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I've been looking at some Bexley shoes online and for pretty much exactly the same price you can get a pair of theirs, goodyear welted or blake stitched, delivered. Not sure about the styling is your cup of tea though.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-Be...Referrer=13756 (the last colour is suede)

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-Le...Referrer=15357

And maybe quick browse on pediwear?

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/3600.php

I haven't bought a pair of Aquila's in 10 years myself.

__PG__

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of Oriti tailors in Toorak Rd, Melbourne? http://www.oriti.com.au/index.htm I was at a corporate function last night and one of the men there wore a nice 3-button grey suit which fitted him very well and looked great. I don't know if it was bespoke or OTR.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Some of the Aquila shoes have briefly caught my eye in the shop window, but I've written them off quality-wise based on past experience... and the fact I can get a solid English alternative for about the same price these days.

Just checked your link - that shoe in a light blue was actually the one that caught my eye.

Yeah the blue is the one that I was thinking of.

Originally Posted by blahman
^^ I've been looking at some Bexley shoes online and for pretty much exactly the same price you can get a pair of theirs, goodyear welted or blake stitched, delivered. Not sure about the styling is your cup of tea though.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-Be...Referrer=13756 (the last colour is suede)

That's a nice looking number I haven't come across the brand before. And its doesn't state what width it comes in.(Sigh)

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-Le...Referrer=15357

And maybe quick browse on pediwear?

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/3600.php

I haven't bought a pair of Aquila's in 10 years myself.

I think I was just hoping to be able to walk into a store and buy a pair of shoes (more sighing and lamentations while don hair shirt)

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Yeah the blue is the one that I was thinking of.

I think I was just hoping to be able to walk into a store and buy a pair of shoes (more sighing and lamentations while don hair shirt)

Life is not like that in Australia anymore.
ffffuuuu.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Has anyone ever heard of Oriti tailors in Toorak Rd, Melbourne?

http://www.oriti.com.au/index.htm

I was at a corporate function last night and one of the men there wore a nice 3-button grey suit which fitted him very well and looked great. I don't know if it was bespoke or OTR.

I've not heard of him. Not really much on their website to go by either.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Does any one have any recent experience with Aquila shoes http://www.aquila.com.au/online-shop...hoes/yale.html I had a couple of pairs of dress boots of their's made in Italy in the 80's which were very good. Basically I am looking for a suede shoe sadly Herrings don't have one in my width the last time I looked and I thought the above might be a reasonable alternative. Will have time to actually try them on this Saturday. Any comments would be appreciated gentlemen, thanks
I had a pair of their recent suede lace-up desert (-ish) boot and very quickly I had a split between the two lace eyelets on one of them. I did pick them up for $120 on sale but pretty average really.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
Pouring outside and I'm wearing my blake stitched suedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads