• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
I passed on these today. Wasn't really into the toe on them. Just checking if I missed out on something good:
qn9pgg.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Recent ties:

Curiously, the Armani is handmade in Italy of 100% polyester. And the Luciano Barbera is about 1/3 shorter than a normal tie. Not even sure I can actually wear it.

I had that happen with a Brioni tie I found once. Turned out to be a boy's tie.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Couldn't pass these up today. Now if I only had a turntable...

aHs8I.jpg

How does the vinyl look? May be willing to buy them or trade something if the price is right...

951socal

Reaction score
I kind of want the armani, any chance on a trade?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Frenchy does it again:
NWOT tags Kiton shirt with real horn buttons (misszied but new no complaints here)

DSCF2553.jpg

almost new John Lobb loafers

DSCF2566.jpg

DSCF2571.jpg

DSCF2573.jpg

almost new Crockett & Jones loafers

DSCF2556.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
in the thrift store in went today it seemed someone offloaded their entire brioni pants and shirts collection, also their hermes tie collection. pants and shirts were $125-$150 and ties were $85.. i dunno if that is such a good deal, maybe it is!
confused.gif

Yikes! That's really steep for a thrift store! I haven't even seen them for that much in consignment shops. Hell, I've seen them NWT for less here on B/S. Nice scores on those ties, though!

Originally Posted by rx330
I went by a place today I usually don't visit and found three ties - 2 Zegnas and 1 Corneliani. I'm pretty certain that the Corneliani is authentic, but unsure of the 2 Zegnas as I haven't seen this type of label before. Anyone else able to comment on these?

tie2.JPG

The Zegnas are definitely real and recent. I have a handful that are like this and are about 3-ish years old. Nice finds!

Originally Posted by frenchy
if i told you that i found Lobbs,Crocket & jones and a brand new Kiton shirt today would that brighten things up for you?

In addition to making be uber jealous it would give me hope that maybe tomorrow I could have such an epic find!
biggrin.gif

Just saw your photos and my mind is now blown.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Couldn't pass these up today. Now if I only had a turntable...

aHs8I.jpg

Nice finds Alan! Beatles stuff is tough to find in thrifts considering how popular they were and how many records they sold. Most were either a) trashed and played to death b) snapped up by a record collector the minute they hit the shelves or c) Set aside by store staff to either have a high price tag slapped on them or to be put in their auction.

Is the Sgt. Peppers a Capitol black w/ rainbow label issue? Also, does the label of your "Hey Jude" LP have "The Beatles Again" on the label as the title? Either way, nice scores. They look to be in great shape! I have a few extra turntables kicking around here if you want one on the cheap!
laugh.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Nice finds Alan! Beatles stuff is tough to find in thrifts considering how popular they were and how many records they sold. Most were either a) trashed and played to death b) snapped up by a record collector the minute they hit the shelves or c) Set aside by store staff to either have a high price tag slapped on them or to be put in their auction.

Is the Sgt. Peppers a Capitol black w/ rainbow label issue? Also, does the label of your "Hey Jude" LP have "The Beatles Again" on the label as the title? Either way, nice scores. They look to be in great shape! I have a few extra turntables kicking around here if you want one on the cheap!
laugh.gif

An older lady was just putting them out. I was walking by, and she said, "Do you like the Beatles?" As it happens, I do.

As to your questions, just looked and yes to both ("The Beatles Again" and black with rainbow on Sgt. Peppers).

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's sad when every single thing in Frenchy's post is something you've never once seen anywhere in the wild...
laugh.gif

Really, really, really been stinking it up here lately. I mean, it's like the black death of shorts and short-sleeves has completely consumed anything at all in the area.

Those Beatles LP's... every time I see any Beatles stuff it's in the case with $100 a record tags on it. 99.9% of the time it's thrashed common stuff anyway... It's always neat to see, though. Somewhere in my mom's house she has an old collection, but I doubt it's worth anything... should go through it sometime.

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
It's sad when every single thing in Frenchy's post is something you've never once seen anywhere in the wild...
laugh.gif

+1 Although from what I understand he earns his finds. 50 stores a week is far too steep a price for me to pay (time/gas) for the hunt. Great finds as usual, frenchy.

Here's a question from left field: Anyone know of any good thrift stores in Dubai?

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've rarely had good luck with records at thrift stores and no longer bother to look anymore. I can't stand getting filthy as I flip past Ray Coniff, Burl Ives and Firestone Christmas albums. But speaking of Beatles, I was at a neighborhood garage sale a few years ago and there was a guy on his front yard with a box full of records, mostly Beatles. I offered him $20 for the lot, he countered at $25 and I ended up with the box, which included a white vinyl German audiophile pressing of the "The Beatles" and most of their other albums.

Took another run at my local thrift store today to see if anything new came out since there was a bunch obviously from the same donor yesterday. No luck with clothes but bought Sound of Music soundtrack on cd for the kids and Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" for one of my friends. I used the book to stop and always keep an eye out at thrifts for copies to give to friends. Is there anything more annoying to smokers than a preachy ex-smoker?
laugh.gif

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ I have no idea, but there is some insane money in Dubai. If there are any, they're bound to have some good stuff!

That's what I was thinking/hoping. I've done a little research and if anything turns up (or even if nothing does) I'll have a story to tell here in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Is there anything more beneficial to smokers than a preachy ex-smoker?
laugh.gif

Nope. Convert those heathens.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
Frenchy does it again:
NWOT tags Kiton shirt with real horn buttons (misszied but new no complaints here)

DSCF2553.jpg

almost new John Lobb loafers
. . .

DSCF2573.jpg

almost new Crockett & Jones loafers

DSCF2556.jpg

frenchy, great finds! May I ask how much you paid for for the Kiton and the Lobbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads