The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] i picked this up a few days ago, i kinda regret paying for it now... is this thing real?? if yes, i'll sell it here in a few days for a few bucks (when my 45 days are up, yay!) if no, i'll burn it! p.s. its a little bit damaged also, i'll let it go for shipping and what a bottle of coke would cost me on the way to the post office!

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Looks real to me, what makes you think it's fake? Does the ridges in the silk run at a diagonal from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock?

3. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Can I get a little SF advice? I'm wondering if I should buy this Zegna jacket. My favorite tie right now is a Zegna, so I'm on a bit of a Zegna jag, and my judgment's fallible. Is the fit good? Does it look like it's an orphan? Most importantly, is it worth it to fix the small tear in the 3rd pic? The fabric feels great, it's canvassed with pick stitching, fits well but ...
    What do you all think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

6. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

Thank you AlanC! I was very surprised/delighted to discover them, especially in such good condition. You are indeed correct - they are the 908's.

Yeah that's a great score, I've been casually thrifting in Atlanta for around 6 months and have yet to find any shoes that nice.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Tyrone, that's an orphaned suit jacket. Leave it.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Can I get a little SF advice?

Look like hell for the pants... it's a nice jacket, but you need the pants. Pinstriped odd jackets are hard to work with. Windowpane is easier, but not by much IMO. I feel your pain, though - that's a pretty nice jacket, especially the 15milmil15 - like I said, look like hell for the pants.

9. Navi

Navi Senior member

Doubt anyone here will know but, I'm taking a trip out to Pittsfield, MA on Sunday and I was wondering if anyone knew of some good thrifting spots around that area. From what I read it should be alot better than where I live, more rich old people and less broke college students.. Hopefully I'll find something good for a change [​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

One pair each in great, but not perfect, used condition:

John Lobb
    Edward Green for Paul Stuart
    Crockett and Jones

What size?

11. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Camel colored Brooks Brothers duffle coat, $9.99
    Vintage Woolrich coat, $14.99
    NOS cashmere lined leather gloves, $2.99

Passed on a vintage English tailored (forget the label) camel hair sport coat with lots of handwork and gorgeous hand-sewn buttonholes [​IMG] It was pretty well worn, unfortunately...

12. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

What size?
    The C+J is a Lamont (in a deep, dark brown) and marked 8 1/2 E, but from trying it on that must be UK sizing. Same thing for John Lobb Tamars, which are a mid-brown pebble grain. The EG for Paul Stuart (black captoe, no model name) are marked "9 1/2 D Am." EDIT: the EG is on the 202 last and from some old SF threads plus some googling, I am pretty certain they are Berkeleys.

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Looks real to me, what makes you think it's fake? Does the ridges in the silk run at a diagonal from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock?

yes they do!!
    yay its real [​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Look like hell for the pants... it's a nice jacket, but you need the pants. Pinstriped odd jackets are hard to work with. Windowpane is easier, but not by much IMO. I feel your pain, though - that's a pretty nice jacket, especially the 15milmil15 - like I said, look like hell for the pants.

+1 on looking for the pants. Turn the store upside-down and check the women's trousers too. 15 mil 15 is really nice and that's a fairly recent model too.

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

PRO TIP! For any other n00b lurkers out there:

When looking for pants, don't forget to search by European sizes as well. The stores in my area arrange everything by waist size; I never found anything even remotely 32-ish. Turns out the good stuff is hiding way over there with the 41, 42" waist pants, etc. Don't know why this never occurred to me.

Anyhoo, this past week: pants! Mabitex, Incotex, Lorenzio, Hugo Boss, Massimo Dutti...and a couple other unfamiliar Italian names. Finally got to see what all the fuss was about.

Pants!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.