• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

was it worth it?

Windycity

Reaction score
Were all those hours you invested into studying in high school/college worth it? Are you where you wanted to be? Im only in high school and I belong to the top 10 percent of all students in the country but I ask myself if it is really worth it. what do you guys have to say to this?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impossible to know since we only live once.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Windycity
Were all those hours you invested into studying in high school/college worth it? Are you where you wanted to be? Im only in high school and I belong to the top 10 percent of all students in the country but I ask myself if it is really worth it. what do you guys have to say to this?

stay in school. the investment that you are making really isn't that big, for what you get out of it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think at a certain point there's diminishing returns. It depends on what the value is to you or others of really top academic performance. I mean I studied a fair bit and was always in probably the top 25% or more but was never interested in being top 10% or higher. There's a whole nother level of work to get there and I personally didn't think it was worth it. I studied what I enjoyed learning about, worked smarter rather than harder in some cases, and never failed anything. Below the average was a sort of 'failure' mark in my view, without any real consequence though. Nothing i've ever wanted to do required that top level of performance where top quartile wasn't good enough either. I entered university with the mantra, I'd rather look back and say i wish I'd partied more instead of I really should have studied harder. but ****, after 5 years and 2 degrees, I probably could have studied the same and gone out a lot more instead of staying home because it was the "right" thing to do to put in those extra few hours that probably had a negligible difference. Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education. High school and Uni is as much about learning who you are, making friends, hooking up, etc as it is about passing tests. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by... (anyone?), ok just kidding. My piece of advice besides get a good all round experience is to actually try to learn the material. I focused too much on just learning to pass a test instead of really trying to understand and learn the material. The degree is supposed to imply that you actually understand what you studied.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get school over with. The sooner the better. You don't want to be kicking yourself 15 years from now for not finishing school when you were young. Which happens to many of us. It's really tough out there without some kind of degree. Sure, some degrees look nice on your wall despite you being a waiter, but it's better than nothing.

Windycity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think at a certain point there's diminishing returns. It depends on what the value is to you or others of really top academic performance. I mean I studied a fair bit and was always in probably the top 25% or more but was never interested in being top 10% or higher. There's a whole nother level of work to get there and I personally didn't think it was worth it. I studied what I enjoyed learning about, worked smarter rather than harder in some cases, and never failed anything. Below the average was a sort of 'failure' mark in my view, without any real consequence though. Nothing i've ever wanted to do required that top level of performance where top quartile wasn't good enough either.

I entered university with the mantra, I'd rather look back and say i wish I'd partied more instead of I really should have studied harder. but ****, after 5 years and 2 degrees, I probably could have studied the same and gone out a lot more instead of staying home because it was the "right" thing to do to put in those extra few hours that probably had a negligible difference. Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education. High school and Uni is as much about learning who you are, making friends, hooking up, etc as it is about passing tests.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by... (anyone?), ok just kidding. My piece of advice besides get a good all round experience is to actually try to learn the material. I focused too much on just learning to pass a test instead of really trying to understand and learn the material. The degree is supposed to imply that you actually understand what you studied.

im definitely not thinking of dropping out or anything. but here where i live, there are 4 levels of school and only the top level can go to college(Switzerland), the other three levels do an apprenticeship after year 9. I dont have to study that much, but still do a lot for school. I just wonder if it even makes that much of a different go to school through year 16. Im going to end up doing it as my father and I see how much he loves his job, but quite a few of the older people I know say it wasnt worth the extra 7 years of school. As i already said, dropping out is no option but I'd just like to see for whom it was really worth it.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The better question is: Is what you'd be doing instead of focusing on school rewarding enough to make up for the potential loss of income? If you're putting school off to hang drywall and drink with your friends, you'll probably going to regret is before you're 30. If you're doing good deeds or making amazing art, you may not.

You can balance shool and fun.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In high school I was somewhat of a slacker and got by on smarts. When I was accepted to university I decided to buckle down and push myself. I studied very hard and graduated in the top 1% of my faculty. Did I really need to study that much? Maybe not, but doing so accomplished a number of things. It impressed interviewers at the job I currently hold, which means something I suppose, but most importantly it taught me that if I apply myself I can be better than almost anyone at what I do. Disciplined study also taught me important organization and time management skills that I lacked until that point.

So in conclusion, yes it was worth it for me. But more so because I needed to find a way to instil some discipline in my life and I needed to learn how to work diligently. I don't think the high GPA and academic awards really mean that much for me today besides looking good on a CV.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pulled an A- average in college. I argue that it will always be worth it, because even until my last year of college I didn't know what I'd be doing with my life, and two years after graduation, I changed again. I didn't end up doing an MSc or LLB, but I could easily change my mind. It's nice to know my GPA is adequate to help get me into professional or grad school.

mlongano

Reaction score
A good education never hurt anybody...

...you are too young right now to appreciate the value of that education, but in the years to come you will realize that very little in this world provides the level of opportunities afforded by the combination of education and motivation.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School will get you the interview, it wont get you the job. Work your ass off Monday through Thursday. **** the rest.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Mostly because I am making far more money than I expected I would be at age 27. Obviously the work I've done since I graduated has been a huge part of that, but without the degree I got I wouldn't be where I am.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ime, I WISH I invested more into studying in hs and college. make no mistake- I am very very happy with where I am in my life right now, but looking back I realize I didn't take full advantage of what I had back then- specially studying in the best schools around here, and chosen to just "coast along" in school when I know I can do much more than that.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
ime, I WISH I invested more into studying in hs and college. make no mistake- I am very very happy with where I am in my life right now, but looking back I realize I didn't take full advantage of what I had back then- specially studying in the best schools around here, and chosen to just "coast along" in school when I know I can do much more than that.

Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20. If I would have known better I might have:

1) Studied ****** of in HS
2) Attended Princeton
3) Studied ****** off at Princeton
4) Rhodes Scholar
5) YLS
6) Clerk for a Supreme Court Justice
7) State Department

But life doesn't work like that, at least not for most of us. Most of us screw up for awhile and then snap out of it one day and try to put something good together that will take us somewhere. That's what I did, and I'm goddamn I'm proud I did it my way. Don't get me wrong, following the above mentioned path may have been more straightforward (even if it demands incredible amounts of work) but I'm proud of myself that I turned my life around, to some extent. It's really been a wonderful and affirming experience, as corny as that sounds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads