• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Mike,
I really like this look.

Thanks, Redwood.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Whilst it has a sheen I think it avoids the 'shiny' suit look, and I suspect under office lighting the sheen is reduced anyway. I like the combining btw.

Thanks, MOK. It is actually more shiney than it appears in this pic. It is a wool/mohair/silk blend. It does not look like plastic or anything, but it is for sure a suit with sheen.

I would like to hear Manton's take on it.

Originally Posted by Manton
This is a great example of national/regional differences. BD + suit has always been acceptable for business in the US and in some regions is THE dress shirt. Elsewhere, this is not so. But here it is.

In New Orleans, I see more BD with ties than any other collar.

Mike

Fred H.

Reaction score
This is a personal thing but I may as well mention it. I am seeing a lot of striped and checked shirts in which the white ground totally dominates the stripe. I think these are hard to coordinate and generally don't look that good.
I agree completely. I have been seeing quite a few of those in the main WAYWRN thread and I always have to check to see if the photo isn't somehow "washed out." Like you I'm a very big fan of the traditional butcher stripe and the small blue graphs. I need some of both patterns in spread collars, since the only ones in my current rotation are BD.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
This got mixed reviews on WAYWRN a while ago, IIRC. What do you guys think?

Yeah, agree with Manton. No brown.

Don't really like contrast collars in general, especially when the contrast is pronounced. The only ones I like have fine stripes on the body, so there's some white there too. Even those I'll wear only under a vest or V-neck, and that's not very conservative business dress.

The contrast collar is a look that goes wrong more often than not, IMO.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
In New Orleans, I see more BD with ties than any other collar. Mike

Same in the Nation's largest theme park, too.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
another thing where I am in the minority in this thread, I dislike tatersall shirts, both the "dressy" kind and the "tweedy' kind. the graph paper check I could wear but my preference is stripes over checks and I also don't like multistripes.

I like tatersalls but I tend to wear them w/o a tie. Its easy to get them wrong with a tie. I do like graph checks and ginghams and wear both frequently.

Not a fan of multi-stripes either.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Don't really like contrast collars in general, especially when the contrast is pronounced... The contrast collar is a look that goes wrong more often than not, IMO.
This example isn't bad. (Light blue end-on-end weave / white):
BBS.jpg
But, like you guys, I'm pretty much over this look.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something wierd about this. The pattern goes "missing" in certain places and there appear to be jacquard dots in the middle of the squares.

Yeah there is a white "overcheck" with a sort of raised woven texture to it but no jacquard dots in the squares. It was called gingham on the tags for some reason. But I thought it more of a micro-check with a white "windowpane" over-check.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent

I confess I don't see the problem with this shade of yellow on a white shirt.

Thanks MOK, it's been one of my spring/summer staples so I have a hard time pairing it with blue, unless a blue bengal.

I love contrast collar shirts, I prefer the more casual collars like button downs or clubs, but I dont mind a contrast spread collar. I'm not a fan of contrast cuffs.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
This example isn't bad. (Light blue end-on-end weave / white):

But, like you guys, I'm pretty much over this look.

I like that shirt, but not with that tie.

ndw

Reaction score

INawN.jpg

MDfhN.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody shantung tonight.

wmb

Reaction score
Lighter than navy 3 patch worsted flannel suit, blue OCBD, "mustard" paisley wool challis tie, brown & white silk square, tan belt, orange and mid-blue glen plaid wool socks, mid-tan double-soled pebble grain bluchers:

fj15n.jpg

rwWzJ.jpg

CTPC0.jpg

Sorry, but I personally don't like what is going on here. I like the suit but not the shirt+tie+square+socks+ shoe combination for conservative business dress.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's probably one too many casual element here. Brown pebblegrain bluchers + 3 patch + BD shirt. I think it would be better with one of them slightly more formal (maybe balmorals instead of these)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads