• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Lots of Hermes ties popping up lately!

I know they are desirable but I don't get the Hermes thing. They look like cheap novelty ties. I KNOW they aren't but what is the deal and why are they so wonderful?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I know they are desirable but I don't get the Hermes thing. They look like cheap novelty ties. I KNOW they aren't but what is the deal and why are they so wonderful?

THIS

Hermes ties are hideous. What is up w/the giraffe's and monkeys and toolboxes?!?! I'll stick to my italian ties! Maybe the reason is I'm younger but the only time I would ever buy a Hermes tie is to sell it or give it away to someone who is either 1. a brand wh*re or 2. an older person.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently added a tongue-in-cheek post on my blog about the art of thrifting . . . although clearly there are guys on SF that could teach me a thing or 10. I still have not topped the almost-new EGs that I found. A close second were the brand new Stuart's Choice Grenson MPs (and only second because they didnt fit).

That felt card table a few pages back looks freakin' awesome. How much did that go for?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some new spots today, which was fun. Didn't yield much but it was a fun afternoon.

Canali shirt
BB cotton/cashmere shirts for myself
BR cashmere sweater for myself or ebay, haven't decided yet.

I've seen a total of two REAL Hermes ties in thrifts in the last nine months, I'm pretty sure.
frown.gif

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
THIS Hermes ties are hideous. What is up w/the giraffe's and monkeys and toolboxes?!?! I'll stick to my italian ties! Maybe the reason is I'm younger but the only time I would ever buy a Hermes tie is to sell it or give it away to someone who is either 1. a brand wh*re or 2. an older person.
I could've passed up hundreds of Hermes ties in my days thrifting. Those things are hideous and blend right in with every K-Mart and JcPenney tie I've ever seen in a thrift.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
I could've passed up hundreds of Hermes ties in my days thrifting. s tie Those things are hideous and blend right in with every K-Mart and JcPenney tie I've ever seen in a thrift.

Haha.. while they are sometimes quite hideous, I do believe they stand out a bit with the color of the silk. There is this matte effect to them.

Pick ups today:
- Finally got a nice pair of navy pant for myself. Was hoping for oxxford, but incotex will do =)

Passed:
- Paul Stuart shirts
- Zegna shirt

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never kept one. They are easy quick sales, though.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Question: Anyone know anything about Hickey Freeman "Options" sublabel? I saw a suit tonight that was this brand. It was 95% linen, 5% poly, looked well-made but it wasn't in my size so I passed on it. Looked like a fine summer suit, but I had never heard of the "Options" offshoot of HF.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

ironically i dont see it either,they dont do anything for me.its strictly about prfofit for me with them.i have found easy 40-50 hermes ties over the last 5 or so years (15 at once on one day) and i havent kept a single one of them.
having said that i do see the attraction,after all you instanltly know a Hermes when you see one so i think thats why they are so popular.lets face it like it or not they are iconic.
what gives me ten time more pleasure is finding cool and unique vintage items like that poker table (sold for $400 by the way someone was asking,if it was 50 years older the figure would have been closer to $4000).
or this made in japan 70's desk "Pill" lamp.simply awesome

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly thrifting, but I had a good score last weekend at an antique shop. We were on a country drive and I just looked into this shop on the off-chance. Surprisingly they had a big range of antique cufflinks that they'd got from a US estate sale. I picked up 3 sets of double-sided antique links for under $100. Will post pictures on the cufflinks thread soon.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
An incredibly odd batch of finds tonight. Nothing valuable, but all pretty cool and/or interesting.

Vintage linen Kangol driving hat (made in U.S.A. with original union tag) and a vintage (50s or so) raw denim newsboy cap. Both are unworn and $2 a pop.

Also found a RL 100% cashmere sweater ($3) in cherry red and an unworn, very old Levi's hand-tooled leather belt in my size ($2).

JGLB

Reaction score
Nice find frenchy, my fiancee collects vintage Majestic, Continental, and chalkware lamps and the prices that these lamps sell for shock me, this particular model sells for 600+. Personally I think it's ugly, and I've been trying to convince her to pare down her collection and to take us on a vacation. No one needs 2-3 dozen lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads