• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

post your tumblr

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The Minimalist theme seem to be the default choice these days but those sleepy themes are really great, much more enjoyable to sift through imo. Then again, apparently most ppl only browse through their dashboard so it doesn't really matter in the end ...
confused.gif

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. It was taking way too much time for me to shift through themes (and avoid paying) so I ended up with one very basic. I do like handsometigers and the themes with one post per page.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
^^ The Minimalist theme seem to be the default choice these days but those sleepy themes are really great, much more enjoyable to sift through imo. Then again, apparently most ppl only browse through their dashboard so it doesn't really matter in the end ...
confused.gif

I briefly switched to the Minimalist theme because my notes on the other theme were disappearing and I'm OCD enough to let that **** bother me. But I'm switching back, since this theme doesn't show tags, which I occasionally find useful.

Originally Posted by Lel
So... what's the point of these again?

Depends. I dig the ones that use it to share articles, reviews, etc. from around the interwebz. Most people just end up posting tons of photos sans any context or insights, which I find a bit pointless. I frequently post pictures on mine, but I try to add some copy to it to signify why I'm putting the image up there in the first place.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Most people just end up posting tons of photos sans any context or insights, which I find a bit pointless.

This.

I mean, this is the part I don't get. Tumbler can be cool and interesting, a creative outlet for photography and interests. I get that. I don't get the posting of random **** without context, as if I'm left out of some exclusive in-joke. A few are fun to browse and read because they actually cover stuff, but it seems like 90% of them are just space fillers.

I don't follow any regularly, but I enjoy reading robins MisterCrew because there's actual content about eateries in Seattle, clothing stores, garment reviews, etc.

I just wish people would take the time to post something meaningful (****, even basic info about their city and **** like recipes would be entertaining) instead of copying and pasting the same format, regurgitating info and photos from fashion fora.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is the same as with any other blogging platform, but with an emphasis on visual content (although I like me some long ass text post personally). I kinda see it as a browsing diary/moodboard/wathever, there's really no higher purpose here. The followerthing can be nice to expand your horizons a bit, it can also lead to massive circlejerking. Yeah, my notes are sporadically disappearing too but I think it's common to all the themes. And I get what ppl are saying about the mish mash posting but I think it's kind of the point of Tumblr, I like that randomness personally, I like being suprised. Not everything has to be meaningful. I agree about putting links to explanations/contextualisation though.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
This. I mean, this is the part I don't get. Tumbler can be cool and interesting, a creative outlet for photography and interests. I get that. I don't get the posting of random **** without context, as if I'm left out of some exclusive in-joke. A few are fun to browse and read because they actually cover stuff, but it seems like 90% of them are just space fillers. I don't follow any regularly, but I enjoy reading robins MisterCrew because there's actual content about eateries in Seattle, clothing stores, garment reviews, etc. I just wish people would take the time to post something meaningful (****, even basic info about their city and **** like recipes would be entertaining) instead of copying and pasting the same format, regurgitating info and photos from fashion fora.
Sadly I can not answer your question or be anywhere near the quality of the examples you have given. I know nothing of the interesting traits of Baltimore except soft shell crabs (coming this summer!) edit: The last thing I want is for my reply to read condescending and smarmy so don't take it that way. Just trying to say that I use my Tumblr to goof around and try out new projects My tumblr is used to practice my amateur photography and weave some strange story from text to image to catalog some make-believe day. Like what I said in Superconfessional "I am a boring person"

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bigger gripes with Tumblr:

- I frequently get the "We'll be right back!" page when I visit the site. It's never down for very long (and it most cases, a refresh is enough to get things back), but it's still frustrating.

- Content that gets re-blogged too much becomes almost impossible to pin down where it original came from.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stazy.tumblr.com I like to think I post cool **** once and a while. Just started it last month. It's focus is not so much menswear as it is design orientated.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm following three of you suckers. Don't make me regret that decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads