• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why We Get Fat

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
This is the point of the Atkins diet. This guy was able to get a book deal making that very same point?
wow.gif

Yeah, anybody who says carbohydrates are making us fat is saying the same thing as anyone else who is advocating that position. If nothing else, it's an interesting history of the prevailing opinions of medical science. For instance, obesity was considered a disorder of excess fat accumulation, and therefore the purview of endocrinologists etc. up until about the 60s, after which it became an eating disorder and psychological in nature (e.g., "people get fat because they don't control how much they eat").

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Hey do you guys who keep lambasting processed food have any scientific proof that it's the processed food, and not the gluttonous volume of said food, that is what is "killing us"?

A lot of the problem is that many proccessed foods tend to be very calorie dense and aren't very filling, so they are very easy to overconsume. However, that's not to say you can not also get fat eating large amounts of relatively unprocessed foods.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
cool the kid the argument is that the same amount of processed food is worse (in terms of nutritional value) than the same amount of fresh food. are you saying that's wrong?
One, depending on the food I don't necessarily agree with that either for a myriad of reasons but in any case that's not what I was responding to This is what I was responding to
Originally Posted by willpower
Don't eat anything that comes out of a box. Other than soup, eat foods found in the periphery of the supermarket - fruits, veggies, meat, some dairy. All that stuff in the middle are the things that make you fat.
The idea that you can't get fat on "natural food" is ridiculous. Enough of anything will make you fat, it's the quantity, not the quality. And in any case again "food in a box" isn't automatically unhealthy if you learn how to read a nutrition label + manage various nutrients...

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
A lot of the problem is that many proccessed foods tend to be very calorie dense and aren't very filling, so they are very easy to overconsume. However, that's not to say you can not also get fat eating large amounts of relatively unprocessed foods.
The onus is still on the consumer to manage their own daily calorie intake to stay at a healthy weight. Blaming the food is bogus, just cause you bought a box of Ho Hos doesn't mean you have to eat it in one sitting.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
The onus is still on the consumer to manage their own daily calorie intake to stay at a healthy weight. Blaming the food is bogus, just cause you bought a box of Ho Hos doesn't mean you have to eat it in one sitting.

I wasn't really blaming the food or letting the consumer off the hook. Just explaining the process and why processed foods are usually singled out.

If anything, a consumer who understands why processed foods can be harmful has a greater onus for their obesity put upon themselves.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really blaming the food or letting the consumer off the hook. Just explaining the process and why processed foods are usually singled out.

If anything, a consumer who understands why processed foods can be harmful has a greater onus for their obesity put upon themselves.

Definitely.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. I dont think anyone was saying that eating a certain type of food will make you fat, more like if you are trying to get or remain slim, eating certain foods (like foods you have to prepare for yourself) will make it easier to manage caloric intake.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alot of the natural food movement is not because eating normal potatoes instead of organic potatoes will make you fat. Its that the pesticides and other stuff you're ingesting with "processed" food is doing harm and causing you to be unhealthy. Add all those pesticides and chemicals you've been eating most of your life with obesity and you're going to have all sorts of illnesses.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Alot of the natural food movement is not because eating normal potatoes instead of organic potatoes will make you fat. Its that the pesticides and other stuff you're ingesting with "processed" food is doing harm and causing you to be unhealthy. Add all those pesticides and chemicals you've been eating most of your life with obesity and you're going to have all sorts of illnesses.
Like I asked before, show proof. "Natural" farming is not sustainable nor is it feasible for feeding everybody. I mean do you grow all the food you eat? If not how do you know that grungy dude from the farmer's market doesn't use pesticides? And there are people out there who have been eating "processed" food who live long healthy lives.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Organic foods can still contain pesticides, they're just "organic" pesticides. Jury is still out on whether organic pesticides are better or worse for you than conventional ones...

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ just portraying their side, from what I have gathered. I think our bodies are ******* amazing and can adapt to just about anything we eat.

As far as the grungy dude not using pesticides, I haven't read all about how you about getting a nice "certified organic" sticker on your stuff, but I'm sure there is some process behind it.

Just to be clear, I'm all for eating healthy, organic, whatever, fruits, veggies, superfoods, etc. because I feel that a lot (if not all) of our diseases stem from nutrient deficiencies and we should be trying to prevent that. I don't believe in all the toxin cleansing hippie ****. Its been proven that your liver handles just about anything you can throw at it.

Take a multi-vitamin, B vitamin, C vitamins, and others as you deem necessary every day and eat a sensible diet. Live long and prosper.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Did I say anything about the validity of the book? I was correcting a mischaracterization someone made.

Please excuse my dickish comment.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot

You're confusing processed foods with foods that aren't 'organic.'

The argument from the organic food cultist fuckwits is that organic foods are inherently more healthful than non-organic food, despite most if not all data finding no difference between the two. If youre concerned with pesticides, wash your apples before you eat them.

Processed foods are a different issue. Most of the nutritional value is stripped away during processing (think brown rice vs rice chex cereal). The cereal isn't necessarily 'bad' for you, but it lacks things such as fiber, b vitamins, magnesium, etc that are present in the brown rice. Even when the cereal is enriched (nutrients added back) the nutrients arent necessarily as beneficial as they would have been coming from the brown rice to begin with.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Reading it now. The basic point is that carbohydrates, because they elicit high insulinemic responses, are what make us fat, as insulin triggers your fat tissue to take in more fat. Not everyone who eats lots of carbohydrates gets fat, but for people who do get fat, carbohydrates are the reason. Exercise doesn't make you less fat. That's pretty much the book.

I'm finding it's written with a lot of... literary rage? He definitely has a point he wants to make, but it's worth reading.

I tend to think reading something that's demonstrably wrong isnt 'worth reading' but a 'complete waste of ******* time.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads