1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why We Get Fat

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Connemara, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Logan

Logan Senior member

Taubes is full of shit, cherry-picks his sources, and built his argument in GCBC on the false premise that fat people dont eat more than lean people, basing it on false data from the 80s. He's a disingeuous douche and his books are a joke.

Anyone can make an argument that sounds convincing to someone who doesnt know any better. Just look at the bible.

Bahahaha, true story.

2. GSquared

GSquared Senior member

because taco bell is selling crunchwraps for 88 cents.

Agreed. I had 2 earlier this week and thought I was going to die.

3. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

fucking LOVE crunchwraps. I think I will have a couple on cheat day [​IMG]

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Don't eat anything that comes out of a box. Other than soup, eat foods found in the periphery of the supermarket - fruits, veggies, meat, some dairy. All that stuff in the middle are the things that make you fat.
    I've heard this advice before and think it's pretty sound. I just don't have the time or discipline to follow it.

5. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Agreed. I had 2 earlier this week and thought I was going to die.

fucking LOVE crunchwraps. I think I will have a couple on cheat day [​IMG]

sadly i can relate. BIG TIME. hadnt had crunchwrap for almost 2 years and they got me to come back with this $0.88 deal. i will probably go there today. [​IMG]

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Hey do you guys who keep lambasting processed food have any scientific proof that it's the processed food, and not the gluttonous volume of said food, that is what is "killing us"?

Whether you have mashed potato powder out of a box or grow potatoes in your backyard and mash them, if you have an extra 1000 calories of them a day for a long time you will get fat, and much of the diseases befalling most of America stems from the amount of food we are eating. My family is from Ghana, and the people out there generally eat most of the same food; the difference being rich people eat more of it...and they have much of the same diseases we do, cause they're fat

So tired of the self righteous "natural food" movement. There are people who live well into old age eating "processed foods"

7. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

lols. you get fat when you settle and become complacent. really have to spend time reading a book to get that idea?

8. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

Reading it now. The basic point is that carbohydrates, because they elicit high insulinemic responses, are what make us fat, as insulin triggers your fat tissue to take in more fat. Not everyone who eats lots of carbohydrates gets fat, but for people who do get fat, carbohydrates are the reason. Exercise doesn't make you less fat. That's pretty much the book.

I'm finding it's written with a lot of... literary rage? He definitely has a point he wants to make, but it's worth reading.

9. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

cool the kid the argument is that the same amount of processed food is worse (in terms of nutritional value) than the same amount of fresh food. are you saying that's wrong?

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Reading it now. The basic point is that carbohydrates, because they elicit high insulinemic responses, are what make us fat, as insulin triggers your fat tissue to take in more fat. Not everyone who eats lots of carbohydrates gets fat, but for people who do get fat, carbohydrates are the reason. Exercise doesn't make you less fat. That's pretty much the book.
    This is the point of the Atkins diet. This guy was able to get a book deal making that very same point? [​IMG]

11. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

This is the point of the Atkins diet. This guy was able to get a book deal making that very same point? [​IMG]

Yeah, anybody who says carbohydrates are making us fat is saying the same thing as anyone else who is advocating that position. If nothing else, it's an interesting history of the prevailing opinions of medical science. For instance, obesity was considered a disorder of excess fat accumulation, and therefore the purview of endocrinologists etc. up until about the 60s, after which it became an eating disorder and psychological in nature (e.g., "people get fat because they don't control how much they eat").

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Hey do you guys who keep lambasting processed food have any scientific proof that it's the processed food, and not the gluttonous volume of said food, that is what is "killing us"?

A lot of the problem is that many proccessed foods tend to be very calorie dense and aren't very filling, so they are very easy to overconsume. However, that's not to say you can not also get fat eating large amounts of relatively unprocessed foods.

13. Cool The Kid

cool the kid the argument is that the same amount of processed food is worse (in terms of nutritional value) than the same amount of fresh food. are you saying that's wrong?
    One, depending on the food I don't necessarily agree with that either for a myriad of reasons but in any case that's not what I was responding to This is what I was responding to
    Don't eat anything that comes out of a box. Other than soup, eat foods found in the periphery of the supermarket - fruits, veggies, meat, some dairy. All that stuff in the middle are the things that make you fat.
    The idea that you can't get fat on "natural food" is ridiculous. Enough of anything will make you fat, it's the quantity, not the quality. And in any case again "food in a box" isn't automatically unhealthy if you learn how to read a nutrition label + manage various nutrients...

14. Cool The Kid

A lot of the problem is that many proccessed foods tend to be very calorie dense and aren't very filling, so they are very easy to overconsume. However, that's not to say you can not also get fat eating large amounts of relatively unprocessed foods.
    The onus is still on the consumer to manage their own daily calorie intake to stay at a healthy weight. Blaming the food is bogus, just cause you bought a box of Ho Hos doesn't mean you have to eat it in one sitting.

15. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

The onus is still on the consumer to manage their own daily calorie intake to stay at a healthy weight. Blaming the food is bogus, just cause you bought a box of Ho Hos doesn't mean you have to eat it in one sitting.

I wasn't really blaming the food or letting the consumer off the hook. Just explaining the process and why processed foods are usually singled out.

If anything, a consumer who understands why processed foods can be harmful has a greater onus for their obesity put upon themselves.

16. Cool The Kid

I wasn't really blaming the food or letting the consumer off the hook. Just explaining the process and why processed foods are usually singled out.

If anything, a consumer who understands why processed foods can be harmful has a greater onus for their obesity put upon themselves.

Definitely.

17. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

I miss the spicey chicken Crunch Wrap. That is all

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

This. I dont think anyone was saying that eating a certain type of food will make you fat, more like if you are trying to get or remain slim, eating certain foods (like foods you have to prepare for yourself) will make it easier to manage caloric intake.

19. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Alot of the natural food movement is not because eating normal potatoes instead of organic potatoes will make you fat. Its that the pesticides and other stuff you're ingesting with "processed" food is doing harm and causing you to be unhealthy. Add all those pesticides and chemicals you've been eating most of your life with obesity and you're going to have all sorts of illnesses.

20. Cool The Kid

Alot of the natural food movement is not because eating normal potatoes instead of organic potatoes will make you fat. Its that the pesticides and other stuff you're ingesting with "processed" food is doing harm and causing you to be unhealthy. Add all those pesticides and chemicals you've been eating most of your life with obesity and you're going to have all sorts of illnesses.
    Like I asked before, show proof. "Natural" farming is not sustainable nor is it feasible for feeding everybody. I mean do you grow all the food you eat? If not how do you know that grungy dude from the farmer's market doesn't use pesticides? And there are people out there who have been eating "processed" food who live long healthy lives.