• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaune Head

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Tom3.JPG

Diggin the Mardi Gras decor...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Pretty sure that this early in the game even, this may be the best entries for any challenge ever. EVER.

I think it's already the best. I'm loving it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some very amusing entries in the challenge.

I have to say though, more than a few of them are a lot closer to costume party than using a particular celebrity as an inspiration for a new look. I'm not a fan of that, at least not in this thread.

Using a particular celebrity outfit as a base inspiration, and then re-interpreting it by using certain aesthetic touches or elements to enhance your own look is a really great thing and a way to learn new ways of dressing.

But just copying an outfit/photo as closely as possible isn't something that inspires me at all, sorry. It's still fun to see the entries though; as one-off contest, it's certainly entertaining.

But to those that have re-interpreted rather than copied, you get some extra kudos from me. I think when I vote, I'll have to allocate one vote to "best costume" and one to "best outfit". It's almost like there are two separate contests going on...

Anyway, this is all just my carping from the sidelines, since I'm not actually taking part this week due to a combination of disinterest in the costume party aspect and general lack of any particular need to dress up today. You'll just have to settle for regular HF as usual.
tongue.gif

feb25001.jpg

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Don't worry Orge, we're all playing for second this week.
lol8[1].gif

Also, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but that one pose, with the smoke, you could kind of pass for a slightly less foppish Pee Wee Herman.

Sadly, that's not the first time I've gotten that comment.
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by aeglus
I'm pretty sure NOBD gets praise more because his stuff fits well and looks good. His photoshops add to it but you can't make your clothes fit via and look good via photoshop alone.

Originally Posted by NOBD
I understand what Orgetorix says. The thing is, I don't have to dress up for work and I like simple (zzz) stuff. The challenges"”for me"”are about having fun; that's why I try to come up with something 'new', whenever I get the chance.

This one started out with the Bullitt-outfit, then I thought a background would be nice, and after that the idea of the film poster came to mind. It combines three (or even four) things I like: clothing, photography and graphic design (and fooling around with language).

Don't get me wrong--I'm not hating on NOBD's clothes. They fit him better than mine do me, most of the time.

All I'm saying is that I think while photography shouldn't get in the way of appreciating a fit, it also shouldn't boost poor or boring or just ho-hum fits. And I include myself in that, as well.

The Bullitt poster is legitimately awesome, NOBD. I truly do wish I had your Photoshop skills. I just wish you put as much effort into doing fun and creative things with your clothes as you do with your photos. With a little more variety, you have the potential to be legendary.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the way this week's competition is shaping up...

Originally Posted by NOBD
waywrncelebritydtochall.jpg

Brilliant... but would McQueen really have gone with 3 buttons? (I honestly can't remember)

Originally Posted by PandArts
WWDDD_022511_DD_02.jpg
WWDDD_022511_03.jpg

Like yours better than the original actually. He seems to have some shoulder fit issues.

Originally Posted by Parker
PrkrColor.jpg

Don't care about the DTO'ing - just love this fit.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'm DTO'ing today is the dullness of the weather.
wink.gif

DSC01777.jpg
DSC01779.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Brilliant... but would McQueen really have gone with 3 buttons? (I honestly can't remember)

Thanks. Nope, 3-2 (mine is 3-2.5) and dark trousers...

73kihci.jpg

Originally Posted by aeglus
Imageshack people; change your host because it doesn't let many countries see what you are using. Use http://www.imgur.com or something else.

Does this one work?

14mrr0x.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Some very amusing entries in the challenge.

I have to say though, more than a few of them are a lot closer to costume party than using a particular celebrity as an inspiration for a new look. I'm not a fan of that, at least not in this thread.

Using a particular celebrity outfit as a base inspiration, and then re-interpreting it by using certain aesthetic touches or elements to enhance your own look is a really great thing and a way to learn new ways of dressing.

But just copying an outfit/photo as closely as possible isn't something that inspires me at all, sorry. It's still fun to see the entries though; as one-off contest, it's certainly entertaining.

But to those that have re-interpreted rather than copied, you get some extra kudos from me. I think when I vote, I'll have to allocate one vote to "best costume" and one to "best outfit". It's almost like there are two separate contests going on...

With all due respect, I think you have it wrong, HF. The Challenge was clearly to DTO a celebrity. DTO means copy a celebrity....not necessarily come up with your own unique fit based upon a celebrity as inspiration.

I also think everyone looked for something within their comfort zone/wardbrobe to DTO. It would be very different if people were randomly assigned someone outside of their own typical manner of dress, and had to broaden their horizons. Take a good look at the fits again and see what is going on. I don't see many fits that would not be worn by the poster outside of this Challenge.

I know when I chose mine, I went for something that I owned already, and that was a trademark of my celeb. I don't know if you consider me one of the "costumey" ones, and I admit my selection is not exactly conservative, but this is a suit I wear regularly when the season is warm and one that I have posted a few times already. As a matter of fact, it is one of my personal favorites.

Mike

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
With all due respect, I think you have it wrong, HF. The Challenge was clearly to DTO a celebrity. DTO means copy a celebrity....not necessarily come up with your own unique fit based upon a celebrity as inspiration.

I also think everyone looked for something within their comfort zone/wardbrobe to DTO. It would be very different if people were randomly assigned someone outside of their own typical manner of dress, and had to broaden their horizons. Take a good look at the fits again and see what is going on. I don't see a single fit that isn't something that would probably be worn by the poster outside of this Challenge.

I know when I chose mine, I went for something that I owned already, and that was a trademark of my celeb. I don't know if you consider me one of the "costumey" ones, and I admit my selection is not exactly conservative, but this is a suit I wear regularly when the season is warm and one that I have posted a few times already. As a matter of fact, it is one of my personal favorites.

Mike

+1. Even though SF has transformed my wardrobe, I confess to wearing today's exact fit when the mood strikes.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Great, great, great job guys. I'm busy as can be getting ready for a huge client meeting that starts on Sunday, but a shout-out to ALL who took the time to DTO!

SG-22

Reaction score
My humble entry to the Friday Challenge. Being a red head from Britain there's only really one choice

test4.jpg

Some say the less stylish of the pair, I say he's on the rise (when he's not wearing a Nazi uniform). Prince Harry

william-harry-233.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads