• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strands $265 Good Deal?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
http://img696.imageshack.us/i/img3394gl.jpg/

http://img20.imageshack.us/i/img3396b.jpg/

http://img835.imageshack.us/i/img3397n.jpg/

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img3398a.jpg/

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img3399hf.jpg/

thoughts? only imperfections i noticed are with the mark on the leather sole which is not big deal being as its the bottom of the shoe, the other one would be that the leather in the third picture is not fully on the shoe.

According to your photos, it looks as though you got a really good pair. That is more in line with the positive reports about AE Shoe Bank seconds I have found through searching threads here and on AAAC. Congratulations!

BTW, did you get a shipping notice and tracking number when the Shoe Bank shipped your shoes? I was told by my rep that I would be notified, but the Strands showed up on Tuesday and I was never notified they had shipped. A note on the invoice said the Lombards would follow in two days, which would be today, but no package was delivered and I have yet to receive a shipping notice.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Broadus
According to your photos, it looks as though you got a really good pair. That is more in line with the positive reports about AE Shoe Bank seconds I have found through searching threads here and on AAAC. Congratulations!

BTW, did you get a shipping notice and tracking number when the Shoe Bank shipped your shoes? I was told by my rep that I would be notified, but the Strands showed up on Tuesday and I was never notified they had shipped. A note on the invoice said the Lombards would follow in two days, which would be today, but no package was delivered and I have yet to receive a shipping notice.

No I did not receive a shipping notice. Nor did I ask. I just asked how many days. Do I order a pair of Lombards? It is going to cost about $65.00 to re-sole my J&M shoes. How much were your Lombards with the sale?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...929#tabRatings

Broadus

Reaction score
No I did not receive a shipping notice. Nor did I ask. I just asked how many days. Do I order a pair of Lombards? It is going to cost about $65.00 to re-sole my J&M shoes. How much were your Lombards with the sale?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...929#tabRatings

I got a pair of burgundy Lombards for $139. Hopefully, they will be here tomorrow and, hopefully, they will be in as good a shape as your Strands.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
how much were the strands? I was originally thinking of getting a pair of park ave, but I'm not so sure since the park ave are costing $250.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of burgundy Lombards for $139. Hopefully, they will be here tomorrow and, hopefully, they will be in as good a shape as your Strands.
What suits would you wear the burgundy with? Do you think you could wear it with a light window-pane grey suit?Also, do you think it is even worth it to get the Lombards? They look so similar to the Strands, I like the Strands more though.

Originally Posted by easy_golfing
how much were the strands? I was originally thinking of getting a pair of park ave, but I'm not so sure since the park ave are costing $250.

Mine were $187.20 after the sale

Simon Radash

Reaction score

Great deal, where they new or seconds?

DStew

Reaction score

I got a shipping notice and tracking number in the email when they went out.

Gotta check out that lombard now.

Broadus

Reaction score
What suits would you wear the burgundy with? Do you think you could wear it with a light window-pane grey suit?Also, do you think it is even worth it to get the Lombards? They look so similar to the Strands, I like the Strands more though.
The Strands are balmorals, and the Lombards are bluchers; the Strand have a cap toe, and the Lombards are wingtips. Burgandy Lombards will provide an obvious style, as well as color, option to wearing the walnut Strands. I have my one pair of AE's--black Park Avenues--that are great for suits and evening. The Strands and Lombards will be quality additions but allow for more variety of wear than the PA's. If I had to choose between the Strand and the Lombard, I would probably go with the Strand simply because I think the shoe is one of the best-looking I've ever seen. The Lombard is no slouch, though, IMO. Burgundy is a really versatile color, IMO. I think it would look great with a light grey suit.
Originally Posted by Simon Radash
Great deal, where they new or seconds?
Do you mean "are they firsts or seconds"? AE seconds are new but will have some blemish that relegates them to seconds and, consequently, are sold for a lower price than firsts. Some forum members have reported they could not find anything wrong with their seconds, while others report some insignificant cosmetic flaw. Sometimes you get a pair, like the Strand I ordered in the photo on a previous page of this thread, that have to be returned. The burgundy Lombard at $139 is the current Shoe Bank sale price for seconds.
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
So the strands are around $190 and the Lombards are $140?
That's what I paid, and the sale goes through Feb. 21.

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paco_deluca
yeah, the scratch was the main concern i dont know if i can buff it out. should i worry about the stitching coming out more? if i decide to keep them, should i clip the thread?

I would clip the thread. As mentioned in a post above, if you have a cobbler in your area, getting that threaded may be an easy fix.

autospy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paco_deluca
i ordered strands and park avenues from the shoe bank.

here are the imperfections on the strands i found. i am probably sending them back. Thoughts?

How were your park aves?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts about getting a "rubber-sheet" put onto the bottom of my shoes. I work in restaurants and sometimes the floors are a little wet in the kitchen due to frequent mopping. I am only 1/2 day into the work day and the leather soles are already turning brownish-black in the middle. Will leather hold up well in a work environment such as this?

Broadus

Reaction score
What are the thoughts about getting a "rubber-sheet" put onto the bottom of my shoes. I work in restaurants and sometimes the floors are a little wet in the kitchen due to frequent mopping. I am only 1/2 day into the work day and the leather soles are already turning brownish-black in the middle. Will leather hold up well in a work environment such as this?
I would do something like that to protect the soles. Leather soles and water are not a good combination. BTW, my Lombards came in today and look really good.
IMG_1468.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads