1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AE Strands $265 Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Feb 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I got a pair of burgundy Lombards for $139. Hopefully, they will be here tomorrow and, hopefully, they will be in as good a shape as your Strands.
    What suits would you wear the burgundy with? Do you think you could wear it with a light window-pane grey suit?Also, do you think it is even worth it to get the Lombards? They look so similar to the Strands, I like the Strands more though.

how much were the strands? I was originally thinking of getting a pair of park ave, but I'm not so sure since the park ave are costing $250.

Mine were $187.20 after the sale

2. Simon Radash

Simon Radash Active Member

I got a pair of burgundy Lombards for $139. Hopefully, they will be here tomorrow and, hopefully, they will be in as good a shape as your Strands.

Great deal, where they new or seconds?

3. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

So the strands are around $190 and the Lombards are $140?

4. DStew

DStew Well-Known Member

BTW, did you get a shipping notice and tracking number when the Shoe Bank shipped your shoes? I was told by my rep that I would be notified, but the Strands showed up on Tuesday and I was never notified they had shipped. A note on the invoice said the Lombards would follow in two days, which would be today, but no package was delivered and I have yet to receive a shipping notice.

I got a shipping notice and tracking number in the email when they went out.

Gotta check out that lombard now.

5. Broadus

Broadus Well-Known Member

What suits would you wear the burgundy with? Do you think you could wear it with a light window-pane grey suit?Also, do you think it is even worth it to get the Lombards? They look so similar to the Strands, I like the Strands more though.
    The Strands are balmorals, and the Lombards are bluchers; the Strand have a cap toe, and the Lombards are wingtips. Burgandy Lombards will provide an obvious style, as well as color, option to wearing the walnut Strands. I have my one pair of AE's--black Park Avenues--that are great for suits and evening. The Strands and Lombards will be quality additions but allow for more variety of wear than the PA's. If I had to choose between the Strand and the Lombard, I would probably go with the Strand simply because I think the shoe is one of the best-looking I've ever seen. The Lombard is no slouch, though, IMO. Burgundy is a really versatile color, IMO. I think it would look great with a light grey suit.
    Great deal, where they new or seconds?
    Do you mean "are they firsts or seconds"? AE seconds are new but will have some blemish that relegates them to seconds and, consequently, are sold for a lower price than firsts. Some forum members have reported they could not find anything wrong with their seconds, while others report some insignificant cosmetic flaw. Sometimes you get a pair, like the Strand I ordered in the photo on a previous page of this thread, that have to be returned. The burgundy Lombard at $139 is the current Shoe Bank sale price for seconds.
    So the strands are around $190 and the Lombards are $140?
    That's what I paid, and the sale goes through Feb. 21.

6. Broadus

yeah, the scratch was the main concern i dont know if i can buff it out. should i worry about the stitching coming out more? if i decide to keep them, should i clip the thread?

I would clip the thread. As mentioned in a post above, if you have a cobbler in your area, getting that threaded may be an easy fix.

7. autospy

autospy Member

i ordered strands and park avenues from the shoe bank.

here are the imperfections on the strands i found. i am probably sending them back. Thoughts?

How were your park aves?

8. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

9. dieselman89

What are the thoughts about getting a "rubber-sheet" put onto the bottom of my shoes. I work in restaurants and sometimes the floors are a little wet in the kitchen due to frequent mopping. I am only 1/2 day into the work day and the leather soles are already turning brownish-black in the middle. Will leather hold up well in a work environment such as this?

10. Broadus

What are the thoughts about getting a "rubber-sheet" put onto the bottom of my shoes. I work in restaurants and sometimes the floors are a little wet in the kitchen due to frequent mopping. I am only 1/2 day into the work day and the leather soles are already turning brownish-black in the middle. Will leather hold up well in a work environment such as this?
    I would do something like that to protect the soles. Leather soles and water are not a good combination. BTW, my Lombards came in today and look really good. [​IMG]

11. dieselman89

I would do something like that to protect the soles. Leather soles and water are not a good combination.

BTW, my Lombards came in today and look really good.

[​IMG]

Suggestions? And those look awesome. It will be hard to resist not buying one. Hmm I have until the 20th I believe, they went for $130 something tempting. The burgandy Lombards and the Walnut Strands are like comparing apples and oranges. I see the Lombards beeing more traditonal dress shoes whereas the walnut strands are a more fashionable statement when wearing them with suits.

12. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Strands for 187.... very tempting to pull trigger on these......

Anyone know how they fit vs Park Aves? I have Park Aves and wanted to know the difference between lasts are.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

Strands for 187.... very tempting to pull trigger on these......

Anyone know how they fit vs Park Aves? I have Park Aves and wanted to know the difference between lasts are.

same #5 last...

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

same #5 last...

Thank you.

I suppose I could have looked on their website, but I am lazy. Can't fault honesty!

15. Broadus

Suggestions? And those look awesome. It will be hard to resist not buying one. Hmm I have until the 20th I believe, they went for $130 something tempting. The burgandy Lombards and the Walnut Strands are like comparing apples and oranges. I see the Lombards beeing more traditonal dress shoes whereas the walnut strands are a more fashionable statement when wearing them with suits.
    The sale runs through the 21st. These burgundy Lombards are hard to beat for $139, IMO. The burgundy color is really versatile and the shoes are quite comfortable. The Lombard is one of the better discounted shoes for the sale, retailing for $285. By comparison, the Strand retails for $295 and is on sale for $187.20. Of course, the Strand is one of the most popular AE shoe.
    Strands for 187.... very tempting to pull trigger on these...... Anyone know how they fit vs Park Aves? I have Park Aves and wanted to know the difference between lasts are.
    While they are built on the same last-5 as the PA's, the Strands fit me just a bit better than the PA's, being not quite as snug against the outside of the base of the fifth metatarsal bone (I hope I have that right--I had to look it up [​IMG] ). The PA's fit well and I think a few more wearings will break them in and they will feel better. The Strands fit almost the same, without the pressure on the outside mid-section of the foot. And, too, the difference in feel may as likely be the difference in two pairs of shoes, regardless of whether they are built on the same last or are even the same model. The one thing about ordering Strand seconds, or any shoe which has darker stitching than the color of the leather upper, is to emphasize that the stitching needs to look good. Blemished stitching that would remain unnoticeable on a dark shoe is easily seen on a lighter shoe.

16. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

If I am able to purchase Strands (1st quality) at Nordstroms for ~$210 would it be better to go with that or should I save the extra cash and get the seconds? I am not extremely strapped for cash at the moment, but I still recognize the value of the dollar.

17. phailing101

phailing101 Senior member

If I am able to purchase Strands (1st quality) at Nordstroms for ~$210 would it be better to go with that or should I save the extra cash and get the seconds? I am not extremely strapped for cash at the moment, but I still recognize the value of the dollar.

That's a really good price at Nordstroms......you can't go wrong either way.

18. Broadus

I would prefer the 1st quality at Nordstroms for around $210. Is this a sale going on now or one you anticipate? When you order seconds, there is usually something that drops it from a first. To me, $20 is worth having 1st quality. I realize that you can get seconds and have difficulty finding the blemish, but you never know. My Strands seconds are going back and I am sure I have to pay return shipping. With firsts, you don't have to worry about that. However, I don't know of a good sale on Strand firsts, so the $187 price is attractive. I also don't have a Nordstroms within two hours, but I would gladly order firsts online from them for $210.

19. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

I would prefer the 1st quality at Nordstroms for around $210. Is this a sale going on now or one you anticipate?

It's a deal that I am able to get through employee discount from a friend. Thanks for the advice.

20. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

It's a deal that I am able to get through employee discount from a friend. Thanks for the advice.

great answer..it's all about the connections..and don't forget the shoe tree [​IMG]