• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Junya Watanabe
Woolrich Woolen Mills
Thom Browne
Edward Tee
Oliver Spencer
Qlo
Duckie Brown for Florsheim

Just got back from the bar, shotgunning beers with clopek and homi29 all night.

dope. love the contrast added by the socks.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS
9c84018c.jpg

Ebbetts Field Whalers Cap(No vis) RRL Chamois Rag & Bone Thermal Tanner Goods Belt RRL Officer Chino Yuketen Cerise Maine Guide Boots

Looks good dude. How are the Ebbets Field caps? Considering one for summer
IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg

Junya Watanabe Woolrich Woolen Mills Thom Browne Edward Tee Oliver Spencer Qlo Duckie Brown for Florsheim Just got back from the bar, shotgunning beers with clopek and homi29 all night.

Good too. Like orange socks.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
tommy, it looks like you wrote that in blood
My first thought too. Agree or disagree with him, Fuuma improves this thread immensely. Would rather read his arguments against preppy / timeless style than see more poorly shot bad fit pics.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5
Woo swag scott

yo post some fits!!

2e561dh.jpg

rick
aa
rick
lanvin
n. hoolywood chuck taylors (no vis)

was thinking of selling the intarsia to finance the ccp derbies I just bought since i havent worn it this year at all, but still love how easy it is to wear

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Agree or disagree with him, Fuuma improves this thread immensely. Would rather read his arguments against preppy / timeless style than see more poorly shot bad fit pics.

Hear hear. Though I disagree with Fuuma that prep/trad has been creatively exhausted. I think he's right that the genre's overly dependent on color/fabric because of inherent limits on silhouette and broad detailing but I don't think designers have gone far enough with the former. There's still no one that I can think of that has done really rich/deep colored and textured fabric or tech fabric w/ prep/trad - everyone is too hung up on 'heritage' ****. Ervell, Schneider and Geller, at times, probably get closest to what i'm talking about. Pieces here and there from Creep and APC too, but nothing cohesive as a brand or even a season.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
Hear hear. Though I disagree with Fuuma that prep/trad has been creatively exhausted. I think he's right that the genre's overly dependent on color/fabric because of inherent limits on silhouette and broad detailing but I don't think designers have gone far enough with the former. There's still no one that I can think of that has done really rich/deep colored and textured fabric or tech fabric w/ prep/trad - everyone is too hung up on 'heritage' ****. Ervell, Schneider and Geller, at times, probably get closest to what i'm talking about. Pieces here and there from Creep and APC too, but nothing cohesive as a brand or even a season.
i like this comment- not that i know anything about prep/trad or wear it but because it's an engagement with the clothing rather than a deployment of quasi-philosophical/artistic discourse. im glad fuuma posts here but a lot of his comments seem unhelpful to me, in the same way that film theory is not generally a helpful way to talk about film.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Fuuma has me on ignore but i'm going to make this point anyway. I think Fuuma is a little bit too dismissive in his denigration of prep style. The idea of an aspirational style with "old money" connotations is not nearly as problematic. precisely due to the democratic nature of clothing--it's not just old money date-****** fratty douchebags who wear Polo/Tommy hilfinger, etc, it's anyone with aspirations to a higher socioeconomic standing. For better or for worse, the highest levels of socioeconomic success in american culture are old-money WASPs, and as such, any aspirational style is going to reference them. Of course, my reasoning is heavily influenced by an article about polo and hip hop, but it should be noted that Ralph Lauren was a cultural outsider with apsirational motivations. Of course, the criticism of formalistic limitation can also apply to a lot of Goth-Ninja brands that ignore color completely. In fact, it is precisely color that makes prep style so engaging--people can adopt a color palette based on their specific spin on the prep style (See Andre 3000 vs. GQ Yuppie prep qua officewear vs. TOMMY/BoO brightly colored hipster prep vs. old school Pastel/WASPY prep) I think this whole discussion deserves its own thread IMO

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, I think you're being a little simplistic. Fuuma didn't say prep is always bad no matter what. Also, "goth-ninja" utilizes color, the palette is just greatly narrowed and mostly revolves around shades and tones rather than contrast and complimentary colors. I think Fuuma said he doesn't find colorplay a compelling enough argument for the typical strain of prep, which I think is true. I don't find your examples very diverse or interesting, in fact the only one that is compelling at all to me is BOO, and really only some looks. Andre is just too gaudy/hypebeasty to me, everything else is trite, sleep inducing, annoying etc.

EDIT: I agree with what PP said earlier though, a more sophisticated trad/prep thing that really works with color and texture in a strong way would be nice to see. But then again anything strong/sophisticated would be nice to see. lol

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
it's anyone with aspirations to a higher socioeconomic standing. For better or for worse, the highest levels of socioeconomic success in american culture are old-money WASPs, and as such, any aspirational style is going to reference them.

ffffuuuu.gif

Forget this anthropologist BS. Ignore the 'science' for a sec and the foregone conclusion that aspirational people can't help but dress 'aspirationally'. How much more interesting would society look if we outlawed parroting entrenched wealth? (not that I do this all that well myself, but I also don't defend mediocrity on the grounds that people can't help themselves)

We're enthusiasts of appearance, I would hope the least that we do is to imagine the aesthetic world the way we want to see it and then celebrate anything that gets us closer to that. If all you can imagine is celebrity style or pure 'heritage', god help you.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Eh, I think you're being a little simplistic. Fuuma didn't say prep is always bad no matter what. Also, "goth-ninja" utilizes color, the palette is just greatly narrowed and mostly revolves around shades and tones rather than contrast and complimentary colors.

thank you, hate this stupid ignorance

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen. you can dress up in ann d and spout postmodernist queer theory all you want but people are still going to look to reference established hierarchies as a barometer of their social standing. The idea that aspirationalism isn't a legitimate motivatior for a style of dress is absurd. In fact, it taps into the same bullshit about the "soul" or whatever SZ people like to talk about, except it's more real. Prep and Heritage clothing are both reifications of concepts that resonate with large numbers of people, hence their popularity. Just because a person doesn't want to look like a Fremen/post-apocalptic survivor/neo-bohemian doesn't mean they can't engage in the "reified idea" aspect of fashion. Just because some losers like chino guy are "style not fashion" morons, that doesn't mean that all people who like heritage are 'doing it wrong'. Just in the same way that fratty douchebags like prep doesn't mean that prep is an illegitimate style. Put another way, if fashion is dungeons and dragons, that's like saying you can only be a magic using class and all other classes are worthless.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo man I seriously don't know what you're trying to say. But I think you've misinterpreted what PP wrote. Also lol at constant non-sequitur passive-agressive mention of postmodern writing, would you F***ers just stop.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All i'm saying is that prep is a reified aspirational style and it isn't an illegitimate thing to want to dress like, and to dismiss aspirationalism reeks of both elitism and privilege.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
2e561dh.jpg

Very nice, I need to get myself a rick leather.
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
5443325699_3f449115b3_z.jpg

Looks good. I'm surprised that cropped pants don't make you look super short. The fit is very flattering.
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Put another way, if fashion is dungeons and dragons, that's like saying you can only be a magic using class and all other classes are worthless.
Huh?
eh.gif

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't actually read all fuuma's comments so i'm going by what's written on this page but it seems absurd to say that his own mode of presentation is not aspirational- just in what appears to me an haute-hipster/boho, des esseintes-referencing sz type of way.
so its better to be part of a priviliged elite aspiring to a particular internally-sanctioned set of codes. hmmm

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
happy birthday big mok
Cheers.
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
@mok yes on the scarf, looks good with them shoes
Thanks - still not sure about the overall colour combination.
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
MOK, happy birthday mate. scarf looks good, so do you for 4 decades...
smile.gif

Cheers - I think I'm one of the few pre-decimal posters on here
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Greylabel
The scarf really ties together that fit MoK. Without it, nothing really stood out. So... Yes Yes Yes!
Thanks.
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
weekend lifestyle pic

110213a.jpg

ymc, jcrew, levis, alden

I like this. It's simple, but fits well and works.
Originally Posted by NOBD
Congratulations, MoK! Well done.

How does it feel? Can you still walk, read, smile, live in general?

Less than three months to go for me...

Thanks. It wasn't too traumatic
wink.gif

Originally Posted by kgmessier
The Big Four-Oh today? Happy Birthday! Got mine coming up in four months.

Love them shoes. The shirt's color pops, as does the scarf; everything else is somewhat muted. I wonder if the shirt and scarf together are taking up too much of center stage.

Thanks - I don't think the dull weather helped - the (admittedly muted) greens of the jacket contrast slightly more with the trousers in better lighting, and the shirt probably pops less.

Originally Posted by steveoffice
Happy birthday big guy, you've aged well. And +1 on the scarf.
Thanks
Originally Posted by jhe0417
Happy birthday, MoK. Looks really great.
smile.gif

Thanks
Originally Posted by Russ24
Lots of action tonight. Im going to interrupt with a noob fit- don't kill me... Ive posted 2 others and havent gotten ripped apart yet, haha. This is no where near what some of you are rocking... but Im trying. I guess its a poor man's take on Synthese's fit a couple pages back. Ha. Constructive crits would be great...
(Apologies for the iPhone pics, dont have a legit camera- grad school money is tight.)

236b9966.jpg
[/spoiler]

Deets on the boots:
5313581e.jpg
[/Spoiler]
Solid from what I can see from the photos.
Originally Posted by snake
A few pics from the weekend.

[/spoiler]

Bit of an extreme way to keep your beer cool
wink.gif

Originally Posted by nicelynice
yo post some fits!!

2e561dh.jpg

rick
aa
rick
lanvin
n. hoolywood chuck taylors (no vis)

was thinking of selling the intarsia to finance the ccp derbies I just bought since i havent worn it this year at all, but still love how easy it is to wear

Lacks sme of the visual interest some of your fits have, but it's a solid fit.
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
thanks guys, pants is by +j.

5443325699_3f449115b3_z.jpg
Looks good, although I think you need a bit more of a gap between the top of the shoes and the start of the pants if you're going for the cropped look or less of a gap if you weren't.

Originally Posted by APK
Good thing you didn't have the right side of the cardigan pulled in any more or I would have thought you were flashing us. Solid fit, though, faux dick flash aside.
laugh.gif
+1
Originally Posted by ethanlee29
5444322296_b5a533d58e.jpg
+J
W+H
APC
Diemme
Needs a full length shot really, but looks okay from what you're showing.
IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg
Junya Watanabe
Woolrich Woolen Mills
Thom Browne
Edward Tee
Oliver Spencer
Qlo
Duckie Brown for Florsheim

Just got back from the bar, shotgunning beers with clopek and homi29 all night.

I like all of this apart from that hunting pattern.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
tommy, it looks like you wrote that in blood

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads